NFL Chatter

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Jan 15, 2012.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

What'd you guys think of yesterday's games?

The Saints vs 49ers game was amazing. I know you don't watch the NFL jello1717 but on 3rd and 7 with the game on the line, the 49ers called a time out then ran a freaking QB sweep and Smith took it 30 yards to the house for what looked like the game winner. Then with 3 minutes left, the Saints went all the way down the field and scored with like a minute remaining to take the lead back by 3. Then the 49ers went down the field in like a minute and a half to win. It was like playing a video game!

The thing that amazed me most was the physicality of the 49ers. Those guys were bringing the wood and they were hungry! Also, I can't believe the transformation of Alex Smith. This is the same guy nobody thought could make it in the NFL any more. Enter Harbaugh and now the guy puts together back to back game waning drives in the playoffs. It's crazy. It's amazing what a difference a good coach can make.

Broncos vs Pats

Brady and the Pats are ridiculous. There's simply no way to cover that offense right now. Gronkowski is an absolute freak of nature. He may be the best player in the NFL. You can't cover him, he catches everything, and from the looks of it last night, everybody is afraid to hit/tackle the guy so he runs through everything. I don't think I've ever seen a guy do what he does. And it's crazy how big his hands are. They completely engulf the ball when he catches it. Add to that Welker and Hernandez and those three guys start on probably every team in the league. Incredible.

As for Denver, I wanted some other peoples take on this. I think they need to spend less time worrying about Tebow and his future and start worrying about everything else on offense. I know Tebow has a lot of room to improve, especially in checking the ball down rather than holding it forever, but he literally has zero weapons on offense. The guys around him don't start on any other team except maybe Thomas but he's essentially a rookie WR as he missed most of last season with an injury and didn't get an offseason this past summer. But everyone else:

Willis McGahee - 30 years old and past his prime. He's still performing, but he's certainly not stud.
    I can't even tell you the name of their TE.
    D. Thomas - I think he has a bright future, but he needs time to develop like Tebow.
    E. Decker (injured) - He's legit, but he probably isn't starting if he plays in NE.
    E. Royal - He should be #4 on the depth chart but he's #2 in Denver right now.
    Willis - This guy cracks me up. He doesn't even look like he should be in the league and then he's Tebow's #3 option on most pass plays.
    OL - They can't pass block for shit.

I know I'm biased, but Tebow catches a lot of crap for not being able to throw the ball. From the looks from the coaches cam, those guys don't get open very often. It'd be interesting to see what Brady would do with guys like that around him. I imagine it's the same reason Kyle Orton went 1-4 with these guys, but he still had Brandon Lloyd and Knowshown Moreno when he was starting.

I think he can play in the league, it's just a matter of giving him something to use cause after all it is a team game still.

What are your guys' thoughts? What'd you guys think of yesterdays games? And Randiesel75 how drunk did you end up getting yesterday?

2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I agre with you on the Broncos. They don't have a lot of weapons. I'm not sure that Knowshon Moreno is the answer, he's seems too fragile to be an every down back. I think the best thing they could do for Tebow would be getting him a threat at tight end. They get almost nothing out of Rosario and whoever else they have. But having a weapon there would really open up the rest of their offense, IMO. I like watching the Denver offense with Tebow. Just having a little variety from the rest of the cookie cutter NFL offenses is cool. But unless Tebow improves as a passer, this offense won't last. NFL defenses are too good for this to work for much longer. (see Miami Dolphin wildcat)

3. dakota7

And that QB sweep that Smith scored on? C'mon! The Niners never go empty, they are one of the most conservative offenses in the league and now, in the most critical situation for that franchise in the last fifteen years, they are gonna spread it out and chuck it around?? When you're already in field goal range? That was the most obvious designed QB run the NFL I've ever seen. For the Saints defense to get burned like that shows how poorly they were prepared for that game.

4. dakota7

One last thing...lol

GoGators That was a big day for you, huh? Two of Urban's guys on the big stage.

5. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Really drunk, 3 car bombs for the TDs by Gronkowski. Then the bartender bought us a 4th round, as if we needed it. Between that, the Sam Adams and add smoking on top, I feel awful today. We have another party for the Giants game, may just stick with soda today.

6. GoGators

A solid TE would really help, i.e. Hernandez for Tebow at Florida.

It's interesting on pass plays when Tebow looks like he has no idea what the heck he's doing and he holds the ball forever, but then they show the replay on the coaching cam and there's literally nobody open. So it's not all him. He has a lot of improvement to make in the passing game, but he needs help too. I'm glad you agree and it's not just my orange and blue glasses.

The other thing is the offensive game plan is very stale. Take the two back Pistol set they ran yesterday. Every time they lined up in it they'd run the same triple option. Well, NE's defense isn't full of mentally handicapped people. They can figure this crap out. Eventually they knew what was coming and they started blowing it all up. If you've ever read about Chip Kelly and the Ducks, he says it takes a couple series for him to "tease" out how the defense wants to defend him, and once he does that he can adjust the calls and it turns into a track meet. Denver's OC on the other hand just keeps calling the same shit over and over. They clearly need a new OC or this OC needs to spend a lot of time studying some Oregon tape this offseason.

Compare Denver's offensive playcalling to the Patriots and they're not even in the same solar system. I know they are completely different schemes, but there's still the ability for lots of variety. NE ran all kinds of different stuff putting stress on the defense everywhere. They got TE's at RB for crying out loud. Denver on the other hand runs the same 12 plays over and over and either runs between the tackles or tries to throw that play action post route. It's a design for failure really.

The other thing I'd point out is Tebow really needs to improve on the option. A couple times they ran the speed / WR motion triple option and he executed those plays terribly. The WR motion option stands out where he pitched to Royal than Royal had to cut back and ended up getting tackled at the LOS. If you watched the replay there was a wide open lane where the LT and LG had sealed the edge and all Tebow had to do was cut up field after the OLB was playing between him and the pitch man. He easily gets 6 yards there. Instead, he stretches the play, pitches behind Royal and allows the defensive pursuit to get there. The option is a sound football philosophy, but just like any other offensive philosophy in the NFL (including pro style or spread) when it's executed poorly it will not work. If I'm Elway the lack of execution on the option from TT would be more worrisome to me than his passing game. It's his ability to run the option and bring that element to the game that makes up for his passing. He'll never be Tom Brady, but he doesn't have to be if he can execute the option to keep an extra guy out of pass protection. However, if he fails at the option, then he's just a bad passer with a lot of room for improvement.

7. GoGators

LOL....I guess so. I doubt New Orleans had seen that play on tape all season long. Also, you could see they were bringing the house off the left edge, so Smith's right, but the play went to his left. It was a perfect offensive call against that defense. What's really crazy though is it was called out of a time out. I wonder what the call was on the play prior to the timeout.

8. GoGators

So you did get into the car bombs haha. Gronkowski certainly didn't help with the game he had lol. Sounds like you might want to down a couple gatorades big guy. Or as they say, get back on the horse that bit ya.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GoGators

Yesterday was an amazing day! The wife's out of town for the weekend visiting friends. I got up, worked out, made a killer breakfast, eggs, sausage, the whole nine.

Then I went to whole foods (man that place is expensive) and picked up some BBQ on the way home. Pulled off the upset of JCspartan2 's spartans in East Lansing. Watched the early game, had a beer, (Hoegaarden, pretty good if you've never tried it. Belgian wheat ale kinda like Blue Moon. Delicious.) Then made some chili and watched the Broncos/Pats game with a couple more beers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

That's why they call it Whole Paycheck. We do both Whole Foods and Trader Joes, both are fantastic. Last weekend Whole Foods bill was $160 for 4 bags of groceries, no lie. If there is a local Trader Joes by you, it's worth a look, smaller but same philosophy.

11. GoGators

Thanks, there is a Trader Joe's but I never been. I'll check it out next time. I dropped $90 on 3 bags and one bag only had beer in it sadly. I can't complain though, the chili tastes amazing and it's largely due to the ingredients. And the meat is awesome. They've got all the best stuff. I got a solid ribeye for tonight.

You seen this before?

This dude also got a spot in a honda commercial that came out recently.

12. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Man, sounds like you're eating well. I love those weekends when I'm all alone, very rare, but great time to relax uninterrupted. Honestly, you get what you pay for, which is why the chili tastes so damn good. We just made it last week with the lean chicken breast, put it into a slow cooker for 6 hours. Came home from work and the place was smelling real good, easiest meal I ever made.

13. Masler

Masler Moderator

Tebow lost. Now can we please stop hearing about him/ until August?!

14. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I concur, sick of the media.

15. GoGators

LOL. Agreed. But it's just like the Brett Favre thing. It's not like Tebow's out doing stuff to be front page news, he's just minding his own business. It's ESPN that keeps over dramatizing everything he does.

16. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, Jim Caldwell fired today. Does anyone think this is the beginning of the end for Peyton in Indy? I think so

17. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Bull shit. He will never play in another uniform. If he does, I will post the YouTube video of the burning of my #18 jersey in front of Jim Irsay's house.

Irsay is making the calls on this and he said it when he fired the Polians, that he will always have the final say on Peyton and 1st round draft picks. Knowing that, we keep Peyton and draft Luck. And it only costs the Colts like $1MM more because of the rookie pay scale and when you take out the $4MM biggest waste ever in Kerry Colllins.

Now if we will be able to resign some of the other veterans, who will be looking for a raise like Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, Jeff Saturday, and Gary Brackett, that will be much tougher and most likely one or more are gone.

The big question is can Peyton play? When they know that they will know what to do with their resignings and other picks beside #1.

18. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Hopefully. I'm just worried that they'll decide to clean house and start all over. It's not right and/or fair to Peyton that they are gonna draft Andrew Luck. In my mind, best thing to do is to trade the first pick and get some better shit in return. You don't need another QB.

19. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Saturday stay IMO. He is Peyton's guy so 18 keeps him on the team. Wayne is gone though and so is Mathis. Could Clark and Addai also be let go? I think they should consider it and invest the money into younger free agents. The Colts looked slow this year.

20. GoGators

I really have no idea why people think this. Having a chance to get a stud QB and let him sit and learn behind one of the best to play the game for 2-3 seasons is the best opportunity a guy could have, (see Aaron Rogers). Luck will be a stud and you simply can't pass on that guy. Rarely do franchises transition from one true franchise QB to the next. Look how many teams are out there with out a capable QB.

21. dakota7

Except that Favre wanted nothing to do with Rodgers and was basically the model for how not to be a veteran QB in the NFL.

22. dakota7

I dont see Manning being the dick Favre was, though.

23. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Rob Lowe just tweeted that Peyton will retire from the NFL today.

I may vomit.

24. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

That would just be absolutely horrible. I couldn't even image that happening.

25. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Well...now Chris Mortensen has quoted Archie saying, "Noooo...he ain't retiring. I think he would've told me."

Now all of Indy will be on even more of an edge until March 8th rolls around.