NFL Draft-Reb's Observations and Opinions

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by SteamboatReb, Apr 27, 2012.

1. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

Number 1: This draft revealed one key fact....in case you were not aware, THE NFL GETS "IT." I think the NFL took it to the next level with this draft and really showcased why it is the most profitable and entertaining professional sports league. I believe the explanation is simple. NFL ownership, outside of a few exceptions (i.e., the Rooneys, the Maras, Green Bay), has become a billionaire boys club. One doesn't become a billionaire by accident, and the same drive and intelligence that drove these owners to become billionaires is permeating into how the league markets itself and its product. The owners get it, and the players would be wise to listen.

One of the key additions to the last CBA was the scaled contracts for rookies. In addition to being a risk reduction device for ownership, it also had the effect of stimulating and encouraging trades and "maneuvering" in general which, in turn, resulted in a very entertaining and dramatic draft. Also, I think it was no accident that the draft came in at three hours on the nose. The marketing guys in the NFL know at least two things: (1) we love exciting, dramatic changes of fortune and a level of unpredictability in programs we watch; and, (2) we do not like to watch "open-ended" programs (when does it start AND end so I can plan around it like every other show I watch). The draft never lost its excitement because the next pick, if not the next two picks, were always "in."

As I said on AIM last night, my wife (a football fan, but not an off-season, recruiting, spring practice follower) enjoys the NFL Draft as much as i do, even if for different reasons. The NFL knows this and sells this, quite literally, to advertisers. They have created a spring event which is no longer just the mechanism for bringing fresh talent in the league. It is a revenue generator. They have a three hour event which is the best "reality" TV out there, and advertisers are not stuck wondering who will be watching in hour 4.5. They have molded the draft into a commercially profitable event.

The Player's Union is being myopic if they do not take the cue and be more willing to follow ownership. The best way for the players to male more money, as a whole, is not by getting a bigger percentage of the revenue to be devoted to salary. Rather, you create more revenue by developing a better product/ Would you rather have 52% of a league with revenue (or market cap to the extent it is applicable) of say, 9 billion, or would you rather have 48% of of a league worth 11 billion. The owners are greedy bastards, but they are smart greedy bastards that know what they are doing and who have hired very good people to run their collective "business." The union should take note.

Number 2: Damn near all the teams had a good draft, or at least were able to make moves to get a player they needed without risking too much. You can thank the rookie pay scale for that. In particular, I liked both Cleveland and Dallas moving up to to get their guy. It appeared for a little while that neither Cleveland nor Jerry Jones would look like total ass clowns in the same draft, but then Cleveland drafted Weeden. Some of the moves down were just as bold, but we will not know if all of these moves paid off until we see what the picks are used for.

Number 3: The SEC is still the place to look for "game changers," particularly on defense. 8 out of the first 18 and 9 out of 32 first rounders were from the SEC (4 from Bama, 2 each from LSU and South Carolina, and 1 from MS State). The "Big" conferences (Big East, Big 10 (or 12), Big 12 (or 10), Big East, Big West, Big Mountain, Big 8 and Big 9, etc.) provided 13 of the picks, the conferences with names of oceans provided 5 picks, the independent (ND) provided 2, and the mid-majors gave us 3.

Number 4: The best four moves/picks of the 1st round: (1) Cleveland moving up to get Richardson. Dude is gonna be a stud, and he gave the best interview. My wife got teary. If you need to know more about Richardson, please read here http://deadspin.com/5856177/trent-r...cause-trainers-wont-let-him-try-more-than-475 (2) Dallas moving up to get Mo Claiborne. Take the return game out fo the equation and he is every bit as good as Patrick Petersen. He is as good a return guy as most, minus PP (3) Philly moving up to get Fletcher Cox when Carolina and KC passed on him and (4) Minnesota's patience in moving down and taking the least sexy pick in the top 10 (Kalil, who will be solid) and then getting back into the 1st round when one of their guys was still there at 31.

Then again, I could be wrong about everything. But I will say this, even as a Saints fan with nothing to cheer or hope for in Round 1, I enjoyed this draft more than any other in recent memory.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Great write-up, sir! I really look forward to reading your stuff!

3. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Great read Reb.

4. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    My favorite part is when you said you were a Saints fan.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

After reading what everybody else has to say about the draft in the usual press outlets this morning, I think the only thin I would add to the best moves would be Tampa's draft. They snuck the RB in late which was a great pick at 31, and Barron is the real deal at 7. He is like a Sean Taylor that can cover and was nasty at Bama mixed with the other safety Robert Lester (6'2" 210). It was like they had 5 or 6 LBers on the field on run downs.

TB knew they were giving somebody an opening to move in and get Mo Claiborne, but they parlayed the move back to 7 with some other picks to get back into the first and get their RB. I also find it quite ironic that a guy from Boise will likely replace Lagarotte "I smoke blunts and throw sucker punches at Boise State players" Blount. I think TB will be in good position to be back at the top of the NFC South in a year or two if they keep making personnel decisions in this manner, if the new coach is decent and if Freeman can throw the ball.

And I loved it when they started referring to Goodell as "RG I," and I think Goodell's "long embraces" with the draftees is both fatherly and creepy all at the same time. He might have a thing for deep hugs from gigantic people. I noticed he was holding it a little longer with guys like Poe than with skinnier guys like RGIII.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I can't remember being this excited about a player Dallas drafted in my adulthood. This was for once a genius move.

7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I honestly think that whoever takes Upshaw tonight will get an angry chip on the shoulder player who will be a beast in the NFL.

8. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Please don't let it be NE or Balt
    along with Hightower

9. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Baltimore seems to be the no brainer at this point but who knows lol

10. Cavs4LIFE

Cavs4LIFE Walk On

Nice job Reb

11. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Same here!! I am thrilled

12. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

The crazy think about Mo Claiborne is that he kind of flew "under the radar" as much as a guy with that size and talent can in college because he was overshadowed by PP as a freshman and sophomore and then last year, while clearly the CB at LSU with the best projection for the NFL, was overshadowed yet again by the year the Honey Badger had.

It was good to see that Dallas is at least capable of not shitting the bed every year. Mo Claiborne > Terrence Newman. Definite upgrade.

13. thegman2.0

thegman2.0 Walk On

great job , im looking for a Ol tonight from chiefs and middle line backer or safety next to berry

14. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

I like the post Reb, the one thing I would respond with is that I don't think the players should follow the owners. Maybe they could follow their line of thinking, but in the best interest of the players, but not to follow the way of the owners. Yes, the owners are smart businessmen, but the players are the employees who the owners will cut loose whenever they see fit. Increase the number of games = higher risk for injury for the players and shortened careers. Longevity is worth so much more to players than to owners...would you rather have 48% of $11 billion for 3 years, or would you rather have 52% of $9 billion for 7 years? Part of the reason the NFL is so great, IMO, is that the owners are extremely smart individuals, and the Players Union is strong and holds their own. There has to be contrast between the two in order for there to be a functioning product on the field. <-- all of this is just my opinion

15. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

I can certainly agree with that logic. My point was essentially this - If I want more pie, I can always demand a bigger piece. However, I can also get more pie if without taking a bigger piece of there is a bigger pie. I definitely agree with yo on player safety issues, etc. I am definitely not advocating the dissolution of the player's union. I do believe, and I think you agreed to an extent, that the owners can grow that pie.

I do give your opinion a little extra credence as you are the only person here who has ever participated in pro football. lol.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  16. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

yes, i think we agree on many points and basic premise