NFL Draft Talk

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Hellisan, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

NFL Draft Talk

Everybody knows that teams lie, cheat, and steal come draft season. But sometimes when you realize the EXTENT to which this goes on, it sort of baffles the mind.

I firmly believe that teams that don't draft too highly (aka the smart teams) pump up players by telling their scouts to talk highly of them, by the GMs themselves pumping up these players "off the record" and then all of the draft sites follow suit.

Look at all these draft sites. They all have the same players near the top. What is the likelihood that if 10 of us went out - completely separate - and graded all of the players 100% completely independently, that we'd all have the same guys near the top? Not very bloody likely.

I think guys like Jason Smith, Aaron Curry, and the vaunted "third quarterback" (Freeman) who on a yearly basis seems to ascend nearly to the level of the best two is just a ruse created by good teams to bilk the shitty teams out of draft picks. Am I crazy?

I think they know it's worth it. If they pump up Jason Smith, yeah maybe a hated rival gets Eugene Monroe, but maybe the Alabama tackle falls to them or something.

I'm just using these players as example, I am no scout, but I tend to think a lot of the players that are pumped before the draft are the guys the good teams want the Detroit Lions of the world to pick early on.

Oooh, Aaron Curry... He's the SAFEST PLAYER IN THIS DRAFT BAR NONE!

How many times have you heard this statement about him? After all their drafting mistakes, wouldn't that sound great to the Lions to have the safest player in the draft?

But there's no such thing as a safe player in the draft, and certainly not when you're talking about a non-pass rushing outside linebacker. He was one of, what, TWO decent players on the Wake Forest defense? How did he not get 150 tackles if he's that good? He ended up with 68 solo and was credited with 106 total... I guess if he's playing OLB they can run away from him to some extent, but I'm not all that sold on Aaron Curry for one.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I only have one prediction for this draft.....

Josh Freeman will spend so much time in the green room that he will be removed not only from the room, but he will go back to his hotel.

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Your probably right. I don't think we see him taken until at least after 20. And I could see him falling a bit from there. Just depends on where Sanchez goes really.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

What's up with the cheesy graphics on ESPN.... Little knobs, dials, etc... wTF?

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Not too happy about my Seahawks' pick. A+ person, B- player

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Steve Young ranting - Trying to take a step forward in the pantheon of sports commentators by simply raising his voice. He doesn't make any sense with his Curry analysis. "If you have Hasselbeck you're going to score 21 points, and if you have Curry you'll hold teams under 21 points so you'll be tough to beat..." (WTF???!)

Chris Mortensen looks drunk.

7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Big surprise. Jets fail again.

8. MazzMan56

MazzMan56 Walk On

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I have to say the Browns probably got the better of that deal, though Sanchez is probably the best QB in this draft.

I wanted Raji at #5, but I can't disagree with this. Here's what they haven't mentioned yet:

1 - Browns brought in a solid backup QB. Anderson or Quinn will be leaving ... soon. Edwards might be leaving also. Cleveland could be the most active team in this draft.

I now think the #17 pick the Browns got will be a WR. Hopefully it will not be the dope-smoking Harvin.

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    I realize I am a tOSU homer, but c'mon Beanie!:)

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Hey-Bey's mom is freakin out like she won the lotto...oh yea.

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    You want dope smoking Raji instead?

I think the browns were hoping (and should have been) for Aaron Curry and when he went off the board they decided to move down and get needs.

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Looks like the Jags are about to draft Michael Strahan...

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, Eugene Monroe...

14. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    IT's a good pick for the Jags. I think Crabtree would be a better fit in Green Bay if they go that route. Jags have their own personnel problems without Crabtree.

Green Bay has a lot of options though...

15. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Knowshon Moreno at 12? WOW.

16. MazzMan56

MazzMan56 Walk On

Wow, madden is really killing speed, crabtree 88 speed, moreno 86 speed, yikes

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    That shows how fast Hey-Bey must be, he is a 97.

18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Crabtree is slow as far as they are concerned (4.6)

He is probably closer to a 4.55

19. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

If the game is made right, speed is not the end-all for halfbacks. Hell, it shouldn't even be one of the Top 3-4 things you look at... again, if the game is made correctly.

20. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Wow... Freeman for TB, eh? I was wrong, my bad Josh.

21. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Baltimore got a steal with Oher at 23.

22. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I like the way Baltimore drafts. They never make a fool of themselves/their fans :)

23. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Browns Draft

I have to say I still like what they're doing.

The picks they're getting are late, but they're getting a lot of them. If even one of the sixth rounders makes the squad, then it's a huge success. Also, I think there's already a deal in place for one of the Browns QBs - we just haven't been informed about it.

I also think one of the Buckeye guys is probably going to end up a Brown. Beanie could fall, and so could Laurinaitis (each could be the "best available" when the Browns come up again) and Robiskie could be a solid third round pickup, if he falls that far.

I'm a homer for sure, but these are logical possibilities given the shape of the draft so far. I think they need defense, LB or DT if there is a good one left.

We'll see,

AG

24. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I'm hoping Lauranitis is there when Dallas picks. I like the kid, but I doubt he is still on the board then. He would look nice next behind Bradie James and Keith Brooking. If he isn't there, I hope there is one of the three safeties I like available.

My roomate is from cleveland, so I sort of root for the buckeyes and browns with him. I really hope they get rid of Quinn and get someone decent in return.

25. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I don't know if I would deal Quinn. His work ethic is supposedly second to none, so I think he'll at least be a solid guy, if he doesn't become the all-pro people expect him to be. I think Anderson should go while he still has some value. He really should have been dealt right after the all-pro year.

Anyway, I think we're in "best talent" territory with the Browns. Robiskie might be a good pick, even if they keep Edwards, since their #2 guy will soon be in jail. Laurinaitis or Maualuga would be a good pick also. Hard to say.