NHL '14

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by abolishthefed, Jul 11, 2013.

1. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

• Like Like x 1
  2. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Love the NHL games, I hope to death EA gives us a real, full-on online franchise mode this year (last years was pretty awful, and only let us play full 80+ game seasons).

EA does a great job on their hockey games.

3. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

100% disappointed in what they have announced for the 20th Anniversary of NHL 94.

this "new mode" is just the regular NHL series (obviously) blue ice, distorted graphics, old music being played, a picture of NHL 94 on a jumbo tron, and rules off.

really? thats how you pay tribute to one of the greatest games ever? i got news for ya, you can play NHL 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, and 13 like that. go to options, turn off rules, line changes, save your profile, boom! you can even play a season or gm mode that way.

this was a no screw up situation. yet they dropped the puck!

all they had to do was give us a "new mode" with the old NHL 94 (cleaned up graphics a bit), same controls, offline playoff mode, online vs mode, with updated 2013/14 Rosters (and Legends).

heck, IMO, dont even include that in NHL 14, drop it as an Arcade Game, 15 bucks, boom. would take place of 3 on 3 arcade. maybe even charge 20 bucks, which would include 2 roster updates a year (including this year) and yes, next year. if they would keep rosters current people would play the heck out of this online. would be a nice change of pace for hockey gamers.

ugh.. sorry for the rant, but this game drives me nuts. they are SO close to having a GREAT game, so close! bah..

/rant

4. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Was hoping the mode was going to be awesome but I think not... Will most likely save my money and put it towards fifa..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

i agree. i was hoping that as well.

i dunno, i mean IMO why would "casual gamers" by new NHL series games? nothing and i mean nothing is any different gameplay was since 09. some fluff here and there, but the main part of the game play is the same.

heck, im a die hard NHL/Hockey fan, thats the ONLY reason i buy the game. if i wasnt, i wouldn't buy it at all.

this is what sums up the series and dev team for me.

Rammer stated that they added stick collisions to the game last year (or year before last), bc people have been wanting it in the series. he said it was in working order, BUT, it caused way too many loose pucks and would frustrate causal fans of the game. so they turned it off.

HUH? you say that this NHL series is the most realistic game on earth etc, yet you are able to add that and make the game better. yet turn it off bc it would frustrate the guys who dont pass, dangle all over the ice, and dont play hockey how it should be. how about this, turn it on and force them to adapt to how the NHL is? a dump and chase type league, where passing and cycling are key in the o-zone. not just spinning around and diving all over the ice. lame!

6. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

You're getting into some of the same issues we see in Madden and NCAA. Let's be real - the "casual gamer" is the target audience for these games. We die-hards aren't. We never have been, and we never will be. This is why the games are consistently tuned for high offense and easy cheesing. If EA wanted to, I'm sure they could tune all of their games to fit what we like. However, they would be alienating the majority of their consumer base if they did so. So they won't - and people like us will continue to be frustrated with the products they put out.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

thing is, what brings back the casual gamer to an "NHL" game? NOTHING they have done would make me as a casual gamer come back year after year. ya know?

just stinks they cant add some features etc like i mentioned, and have on and off options for them in the settings.

bah.. LOL

8. justca11mejuice

justca11mejuice Walk On

i'm looking forward to NHL 14 and the NHL 94 mode... think it'll be a gong show that's good for some laughs. anything is better than what they've done to EASHL the last year or two.

9. justca11mejuice

justca11mejuice Walk On

until there's some competition in the sports franchises, there's never gonna be a 'great product'... the closest thing is FIFA vs PES... no licensing from 2K for Madden or NHL, NBA Live hasn't existed for a few years and the only good MLB game is on PS3 because of The Show. what happened to the days when 2 studios were putting out games?