NHL Talk

Discussion in 'THL: Tradition Hockey League (XBOX)' started by Selvy9, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

So seeing how this is a forum, discussion based league (and site), I feel we need to get things going in here. What's everyone's fav team? All star break is over, trade deadline is little over 3 weeks away, who's getting moved? Is the East down to 4 teams for the last 3 spots? Or does Montreal, Tampa, or Isles have a run in them? Assuming the top 6 in the west are safe, the difference between 7th and 12th in the west is 6 points. Who you got?

2. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom

Well truth be told I'm a homer from Pittsburgh and can't see past the hope of Crosby coming back and being Crosby. If that happens watch out. If it doesn't, the Pens are a threat to knock out anyone in the East but can't see another cup. Besides that I'm just hoping for Washington and Philly to suck.

3. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

if Sid comes back, great, if not, oh well.. why do i say that? the Pens have 7 million dollars to play with at the trade deadline.. GMRS and Mario love wheeling and dealing. i wouldnt be shocked if he made a significant move to bring in another legit top 6 forward to the mix for this and the next few years since they stacked with D depth. Bc when Sid does come back, they need another solid top 6 guy. they also need another gritty guy as well, Dominic Moore/Boyd Gordon type.. just think, add Sid to that mix, YIKES.. im also not even including Staal in the above.. :) bonus there as well, he should be back a week before trade deadline.

also, do they trade Niskanen at deadline? he an RFA and has most upside, making 1.5 or so now, he will want a bit of a raise bc he having solid year. i dont think the Pens will pay him bc again of the depth they have on d. wouldn't be shocked if the Gil rumors are true and he is brought in to play on the 3rd d pairing with Engo or Lovejoy..

then after season, they have about 10 million to play with.. to sign Neal, he will eat up 5.5 to 5.8 of that for say 4 years.. a guy like Martin may get dealt, or would it be Orpik? more likely Martin will go and his 5 million cap hit, again opens door for another legit forward or two.. other notable RFA's the Pens need to sign, Vitale, and Tangradi (if he isn't traded at deadline)

ps, was at the game tonight, what a come back. they didnt deserve 2 points at all.. stole that one!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Pittsburgh's good enough without Crosby, you don't need him, lol. It woulda been nice if you coulda beat Toronto in regulation last night though...

Being a Panther fan, we're in that pack trying not to be the one left out (or win the division, one's just as likely as the other at this point.) Problem is we're still not healthy, we had 7 forwards out at one point, still missing 4 or 5 and now on top of it missing 2 big defensemen in Kulikov and Jovonavski long term. But our prospect pool is pretty deep and I don't know that giving a couple of them up for a rental forward that might get us the 7th seed and a 1st round exit to Boston is worth it. Then again, after the start we had this season and being in 1st for so long and not being in the playoffs in a decade, even just 4 extra games would be really nice. But Tallon's said from his first day as GM that he's trying to build a Cup contender in 2-3 years, not a perennial 6th-8th place team that's just trying to tread water.

It'll be really interesting what the next 3 weeks brings, we have 3 games against the Capitals, and games against 10th place Winnipeg, 11th place Tampa, 12th place Islanders, 7th place NJ, and 6th place Ottawa all before the trade deadline. So the schedule sets up nicely to really make some hay, or to flounder completely and get into that scouting the draft mode.

5. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

I'm really pleased to see the Red Wings finally really utilizing their home ice advantage at the Joe. Gotta love a 20-2 mark at home. Hopefully they can keep it up and then ultimately spurt in the playoffs and avoid a first round upset. :)