Nick Montana, Kevin Smith author their own version of "The Catch"

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

On a 4th and goal from the 15 yard line, and with no timeouts and 14 seconds on the clock, Nick Montana found Kevin Smith behind press coverage in the end zone for the game-winning score as the University of Washington stunned Stanford 17-14 in an ugly defensive battle.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/49552930

It didn't get us to the Super Bowl, but it sure felt great to finally break through. Stanford brought the heat in this game, and never seemed to pay the price right until the very end. Time and time again we dropped back and saw the defensive line just shattering our blocking, all our receivers covered, etc.

The results - 5 sacks, 3 INT, and a few dropped, would-be interceptions - left Montana lacking for confidence but not for guts as he dropped back and saw that Smith had beat the press on the right side and looked to be wide open. The pass hung in the air for seemingly far too long but the CB never recovered and Smith got his feet in bounds.

Both defenses really played fantastic football in this game. I think there were more punts in this one (8) than all the other games I've played this year combined. Give Stanford credit, they really were on their game and had a good game plan for us today.

The first quarter was scoreless as we took the opening kickoff and had a sack end our first drive. We stopped them, then went for it on 4th down and failed from their 37-yard line on our next possession. Nothing was working. Especially the run.

However our defense did some things too. We held them to 203 yards of total offense and 8 first downs, compared to 277 and 14 for the Huskies. A good majority of our offense came on the last drive.

Stanford opened the scoring with a nice looper to the TE. I watched Stanford play Wisconsin and told myself that I was gonna pick this guy off 4-5 times due to those floaters, but he got me with one here and it was 7-0 Stanford.

We managed a field goal with 1:23 remaining in the first half. The next 2-3 minutes of play were key.

Stanford decided to go try to get a TD with 1:23 remaining. Then after that they would have the ball first in the second half. conceivably they could really take control of things. Well we held them to three and out, and went back down and scored a touchdown on a 1-yard dive by Deontae Cooper on 3rd down to make it 10-7.

Stanford then botched the opening kick of the second half as we ripped it out of the returners hands. As we went for the score that would have put us up 17-7, the strong safety made an incredible play, coming down (presumably aggressive coverage) and just made a great pick at the goal line in front of my WR who was running a shallow post. I wasn't even mad, just amazed. I saw before the game he was very aware but that still surprised me.

We made our own end zone interception in the third quarter thanks to Free safety Sean Parker.

With 2:29 to go, Stanford QB Robbie Picazo found K. Nelson from 30 yards out to put them ahead 14-10 and we were in trouble. It took a couple of huge third down conversions and patience because we knew we weren't going to make a big play, and we had all three timeouts remaining. We even mixed in a couple of draw plays on the final drive. In the end as we used our final timeout after yet another sack, we knew we needed a big play and Kevin Smith made it.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Bumping. I posted this, then promptly bumped a day-old post past mine! damnit

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

His foot was on the line!!!! Review, review!!!

Damn Stanford 2 seconds away from taking down a giant. nice to see a defensive game.....how you do that?

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Well, add in two good defensive teams, a heaping helping of lag, and you have a good start. Hell... On Stanford's 30-yard touchdown pass it probably took a good 15-20 seconds due to lag. That was the worst of the game but it was bad throughout.

Can't say enough about how BBJ played however, he is especially tough at MLB.

5. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

Yeah I felt bad about that 1 td didn't want to score on such a terrible lag play... For a second I thought it was going to pop and say connection lost...as soon as you put the ball up I was like fuck there goes the game.. I don't know why I called that defense should have stuck with cover2.

It was a great game and a good change to the the user shootouts. Probably the funnest game I have had in a losing effort. Much better to lose that way then to lose on a fumble which is how I have lost the 2 previous user games I had(jms and drifter). Hopefully I'll bounce back and beat Bruce and fosh...

6. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

My return to the tradition isn't going as well as expected;).

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I wasnt impressed with Stanford's run defense. Funny thing is in our game it was totally lag free....and we are on opposite coasts...i think.

8. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I wasn't either that game... We were a little gun shy on tackling that game...it's got alot better as the seasons progressed.

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah at least against me, the run defense was really good. Couldn't trick the MLB and couldn't seem to get the OL to lay a hand on him either. Filled really hard, even on trick plays.

10. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Wait ... what?
    [​IMG]

11. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

[​IMG]

12. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

huh