Night Owls Mid Season Showcase

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jayrah, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

[​IMG]

On the Docket:

Midseason

Big 12
    Pac 10
    Big 10

Recchem/Jayrah - Commish Mid Season, Season 3 report/interview

2. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

[​IMG]

PAC 10 Standings (as of 12/17)
    USC 3-0 (2-0)
    Arizona 5-1 (4-0)
    UCLA 4-1 (2-1)
    Oregon State 4-2 (2-1)
    Oregon 2-4 (2-1)
    Stanford 3-2 (1-1)
    Washington 4-3 (1-3)
    Arizona State 2-3 (1-3)
    California 2-2 (0-2)
    WSU 1-3 (0-3)

Midseason Offensive Player Award

RB CHRIS POLK, University of Washington

I honestly would like to give this award to someone else, but the numbers just don’t lie. Polk’s stats are far and away the best offensive stats of any offensive player in the PAC-10. Polk has almost 800 yards rushing and 11 touchdowns this season through Week 7. I am personally quite impressed with the 11 touchdowns and the number of yards he has gained especially considering the Huskies have lost 3 straight conference games. When I looked at Polk’s stats on Wednesday night, I knew who I needed to focus my attention on him, and I was correct the Huskies were still giving him the ball to him with five minutes to go in the game down by 13 points with the ball on their 20 yard line.

As for user teams, I think the best player based on stats is Arizona wide receiver Richard Morrison who has caught 22 receptions for 455 yards with 3 touchdown passes. He is averaging almost 21 yards per reception.

Midseason Defensive Player Award

DE ANDREW SEUMALO, Oregon State

Honestly, this is a tough award to hand out, people may say I am bias, and they are right. But, let’s look at the facts, Andrew Seumalo has recorded eleven sacks, he is one away from the school record through just six games. Seumalo leads the country, not just the conference in this category. The Oregon State defense has so far recorded 24 sacks for the season. In the user game against Illinois the defense recorded six sacks. In addition Seumalo’s cohort DT Castro Masaniai has seven sacks. The Beavers really do have quite the pass rush.

Other deserving candidates is ASU MLB Vontaze Burfict who has 26 tackles, 11 are for losses. When Oregon and Oregon State played ASU, each offense struggled, mostly because of the excellent play by Burfict. Then there is Stanford’s DT Terrence Stephens who has 14 tackles for losses, another impressive player.

What to expect in the second half of the season

Currently the PAC-10 race is very tight. USC and Arizona are undefeated in conference play, while UO, OSU, Stanford, and UCLA all have one loss in the conference. Luckily, this is not the Big # where everyone doesn’t play each other. This conference title will be settled on the field. The Beavers get to host Stanford and Arizona later this season, while going on the road to Eugene for the Civil War. UCLA will need help if it wants to win the conference because of it loss to Arizona. The Bruins hosts the Ducks, but must go on the road to face Stanford and USC. The defending PAC-10 Champions the Oregon Ducks, had a very slow start this season dropping several tough games early on. If the Ducks want to go back to Pasadena they must win out, with games against UCLA, USC, and Arizona still left to play, not including the Civil War.

Who is going to Pasadena

I am new to this league, so I don’t have a feel for everyone’s teams. If you were to put a gun to my head, my choice would be Arizona, but honestly I wouldn’t be surprise if UCLA, or the winner of the Civil War snuck in.

3. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

[​IMG]
    Midway through the NCAA season, the Big Ten finds itself in an awkward position. The conference is possibly as dominant as it ever has been since the 2006 season when they had Ohio State and Michigan #1 and #2 respectively going into the last weekend of play. After 7 weeks of games, the Big 10 has 3 teams in the top ten, and five in the top fifteen according to the Coaches' Poll. It's a shame that only 2 of these teams will get to participate in BCS games, because there are at least 3 that are worthy of slots.

#1 Ohio State Buckeyes - Coach: MBoda
    5-0 (2-0), 3-0 in Night Owls play

Ohio State has started off strong this season, and they are well on their way to making it to the BCS National Championship game for the second year in a row. The Buckeyes have been led by a diverse rushing attack. Jaamal Berry leads the team in yards with 569 on 71 carries, and has 6 touchdowns to go with it. He's been complemented well by Michael Chapman, who has 337 yards on 70 carries and 9 touchdowns. These two have led the 4th highest scoring offense in the nation with 41.2 points per game. Ohio Satte's staple is their defense, though. In particular, their rush defense which has given up only 381 yards all season. That is good for #3 in the country as well.

Before we can write the Buckeyes in to the BCS National Championship, they have to get through a loaded back end of the schedule which features a trip to #8 Iowa and home games vs #11 Michigan and #3 Texas.

#5 Wisconsin Badgers - Coach: MexiRican35
    6-1 (3-0), 2-1 in Night Owls play

Wisconsin is another team that is worthy of a Big Ten berth in the BCS. The Badgers have fought hard for the 6-1 record that they currently possess, with the only blemish being a home loss to #3 Texas. Their offensive attack is more balanced than that of Ohio State, but they are still a predominantly rushing team. The leading threat on the offense is James C White, who leads the teams in carries (116), yards (576), and touchdowns (10). However, unlike Badgers teams of past, Coach Mexi has established a passing offense. Curt Phillips is 81-147 for 1,626 yards and 14 touchdowns.

There are two things that should worry Badgers' fans. First, the defense has been a little worrisome through the first 7 games. The Badgers defense ranks #105 in the country in yards allowed. However, this may not be the biggest problem for a team that had national championship ambitions. With only 5 games left and needing to jump three teams, the Badgers don't have any real attention grabbing games remaining. With Minnesota and Michigan out of the way, and Ohio State not on the schedule, Wiscosnin's toughest tests are #15 Penn State and an Illinois squad that took them to overtime last year. A Rose Bowl is certainly not out of the realm of possibility for Wisconsin, but they might be stuck in that role.

#8 Iowa Hawkeyes - Coach: Omega41
    5-1 (2-1), 2-1 in Night Owls play

Iowa might be stuck in proverbial football hell. The Hawkeyes find themselves at 5-1, but their only loss is a costly one: a 41-7 blowout at the hands of Wisconsin. This game was a chance for Iowa to move themselves into a potential BCS slot, but instead it pushed them a little further out. Iowa has possibly the most balanced offense in the Big Ten. James Vandenberg has led the passing attack, going 80-137 for 1600 yards and 16 touchdowns. Furthermore, through his first 6 games he only has 4 picks. On the rushing end of things, Brandon Wegher leads Iowa with 545 yards and 8 touchdowns on 112 carries.

Like Wisconsin, Iowa has had some trouble defending the run. Actually, I think when you're ranked #116 in the country, it's fair to say that you are having a lot of trouble against it. However, one positive for the Hawkeyes: they still have Ohio State on the schedule. If they are able to pull off that upset, then the Hawkeyes all of a sudden position themselves for a potential BCS game. If not, they will be headed to the Capital One Bowl in all likelihood.

Illinois Fighting Illini - Coach: Cheez
    5-3 (2-2), 2-2 in Night Owls play

In his first full season at the helm of the Illini, it would seem that Coach Cheez has Illinois headed in the right direction. Two of Illinois' three losses have come in the last seconds or in overtime. The other, a 59-29 beatdown at the hands of Iowa. However, the Illini have been able to come back from early deficits to win games as well - most notably a 24 point, 3rd quarter deficit against Oregon State.

The Illini offense is led by senior halfback Justin Green. Green leads the nation in rushing with 1,234 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns on 195 carries. But if you focus on Illinois' run game, Tate Forcier can and will loft of over your head. Forcier is 92-142 for 1442 yards and 12 touchdowns. Like Vandenberg, Forcier too only has 4 picks.

Illinois Achilles' heel lies on defense. Illinois ranks #118 in total defense, and dead last in pass defense. Their turnover differential is -3, and they have shown no effort in stopping anybody. If there's any good news for Illinois, they are only 1 win away from bowl eligibility. You can be rest assured they have week 13 circled on the calender, as Illinois will look to spoil Wisconsin's Rose Bowl dream.

Big Ten Conference Standings
    Through Week 7

Wisconsin: 3-0, 6-1
    Ohio State: 2-0, 5-0
    Iowa: 2-1, 5-1
    Minnesota: 1-1, 5-1
    Michigan: 1-1, 3-1
    Purdue: 1-1, 4-2
    Michigan State: 1-1, 3-3
    Penn State: 1-2, 4-2
    Illinois: 1-2, 4-3
    Northwestern: 1-2, 2-3
    Indiana: 0-3, 2-3

Cheez's Projected Finish:

Ohio State: 8-0, 12-0
    Wisconsin: 8-0, 11-1
    Iowa: 6-2, 9-3
    Michigan: 5-3, 9-3
    Penn State: 5-3, 9-3
    Illinois: 4-4, 7-5
    Minnesota: 3-5, 7-5
    Purdue: 2-6, 5-7
    Michigan State: 2-6, 4-8
    Northwestern: 1-7, 2-9
    Indiana: 0-8, 3-9

Cheez's Bowl Projections:
    Ohio State - BCS National Championship Game
    Wisconsin - Rose Bowl
    Iowa - Capital One Bowl
    Michigan - Outback Bowl
    Penn State - Gator Bowl
    Illinois - Texas Bowl
    Minnesota - TicketCity Bowl

4. Jayrah

[​IMG]

Big 12 Standings

North:**************South:

Mizzou 3-4, 3-1***********Texas 8-0, 5-0
    Iowa St 5-3, 2-2**********T A&M 7-2, 5-0
    Nebraska 2-5, 2-2*********Oklahoma 6-1, 3-1
    Kansas 5-3, 1-3***********T Tech 4-2, 2-2
    K-State 3-4, 1-3**********Okla St 4-3, 1-3
    Colorado 2-7, 0-5**********Baylor 2-7, 0-5

Texas (WGW) 2-0 in N.O. league play

Top 25 qb Garrett Gilbert and The Texas Longhorns are back on track for another trip to the Big 12 and National Title games, after a couple of hard fought and close wins against the night owls users Jax and Mexi, early in the season. However after figuring to cruise through the mid season schedule, there are some teams standing in their way at the end of the year.

Jayrah's Texas A&M Aggies played the Longhorns to the last seconds last season, and are looking for revenge from the last couple years. And of course, Mboda's Buckeyes defeated UT in a wild affair in the National Title game last year. That game between those two at the end of the year will be in The Horseshoe, and should be an affair of legend in Columbus.

To make things even better for coach WhyGod and his staff, the Longhorns have already finished up yet another year of outstanding recruiting. Among the signees are 3 espn 5 star players, all on offense, to bolster what is already an outstanding unit. If one thing is clear to the Longhorn faithful, it's that the Longhorns are not looking to rebuild or reboot anytime soon. With that in mind, pressure has not yet been a factor for the new regime of coaches here, because they are dominating the recruiting boards, but without a Nat'l Title, we all know that Austin won't rest on 13-1.

Texas A&M (Jayrah) 2-1 in N.O. league play

The Texas A&M Aggies brag on a terrific RedZone defense, and the number 1 tackler in the nation, in MLB Kyle Mangan. With that backbone, they have slingshot out to a 5-2 mid season mark, with the losses coming to 2 AP top 25 teams in Arizona and Arkansas. TAMU has trailed in every game this season, making them a battle tested bunch, but they will need to clean up a turnover problem if they want to challenge Texas for a spot in the Big 12 Championship game.
    On offense, rb Christine Michael has been a tough runner, scoring 4 times, but has lacked the consistency in both ball control and big plays that many thought coming into the season. Backup rb Mister Jones has been coming on as of late and provides a little bit more explosion out of the backfield. Wr Ryan Swope has been sensational, accounting for 400+ and 5 tds.

Nothing will be easy for TAMU coming down the stretch, simply based on the nature of the attack, but it seems to be coming down to a fiesty game in Austin to decide the Big 12 Title's fate.

In recruiting, the Aggies have landed what is currently a mid level class. With 19 seniors on the outs, it will not be enough to simply settle, but they are hoping to bolster the class with some late season additions.

Missouri (Jax) 0-2 in N.O. league play

Coach Jax and The Missouri Tigers are a bit of a disappointment this season. After coming within 1 win of the BCS last year, many felt as if they would be even better this year, but it hasn't panned out. However, even at a miserable 2-4 record, the Tigers are still in the race for the top seed in the North, and after some challenges early in the season, they seem to be coming around. To be quite honest, they probably should be 3-3, after failing to finish the game against a nearly blindsided Texas last week.

Qb Tyler Whitaker will have to stop turning the ball over if he wants to give his team a chance to get back into the race, but he's thrown for 1400 yds and 10 scores already. Hb Kendiall Lawrence has given the Tigers a breath of fresh air, rushing for 7 tds already this year.

MU is already 0-4 when giving up 27+ points, and will need to get better defensively to really start a grind.
    The coaching staff has been mum on the recruiting front.

Nebraska (aarondromp) 0-3 in N.O. league play

The Cornhuskers have been an embarrassment to anybody and everybody within the Nebraska program this season, with a horrendous defense and general lack of defensive skill position players. Coach Aarondromp is on a mission to change the culture, but so far it's been a plain act of futility. UN has given up 25+ in 6 of 7, and the other was a loss to K-state. Everyone thought that after an 0-3 start against Night Owls coaches, the Huskers would turn it around, but barely beating Kansas and Baylor, and giving up 81 to Texas Tech changed the tune. With Mizzou coming into town next week, it's time the Huskers showed up, or else the Red Sea may get ugly in Lincoln.

Qb Cody Green has been a really nice story on the season, throwing for 13 tds so far, but Rex Burkhead is but a shell of his old self, due to the poor offense having to always play from behind this season, making them a very pass oriented team.

To worsen matters so far for this team, the recruiting has been difficult and is not looking promising so far, although the staff swears up and down that there is some help on the way.

*BIG 12 CHAMPION PICK*

It's Texas' conference to lose really. They hold all the marbles, with only 1 conference Night Owls foe left, in A&M at the end of the year. The game is in Austin, and since Coach Jayrah has taken over, the Aggies are not as good on the road as they are at vaunted Kyle Field. If the Aggies should somehow upset Texas, the Longhorns may be kissing the BCS goodbye, with a matchup against the #2 Buckeyes in the Shoe to cap it off.

5. Jayrah

[​IMG]

Questions for the commish:

Q: What is your personal evaluation of the current Night Owls league in general?

A: I like the group we have right now. I know its taken us 3 seasons but I believe we finally have a solid core in which to build upon. There is always room for improvement, like posting more and interacting more, but that will come with time. Im guilty of this myself at times. Sometimes, life just gets in the way. But overall, Im pleased with the group we have. I havent had a bad user game experience yet, besides getting pasted by the 2 beasts of our league, Texas and Ohio State!

Q: What are your thoughts on the 2012 NO season as it has unfolded? Surprises/dissapointments

A: The top dogs have played like I thought. Texas and Ohio State are always going to be the teams to beat. I personally had the pleasure of going to the Horseshoe to take on the Buckeyes and they were just dominate. So, for the rest of us, we need to build our teams and hope to knock off the big boys sometime before NCAA12 drops.

Surprises - I was surprised and pleased a bit at some users losing to the CPU. I'll be honest, I like it when the CPU puts up a fight. I hate dynastys where you play 3 user games and thrash the CPU the rest of the season. Thats why I've really tried to get the sliders tougher this season, without being unrealistic. I hope I've done that.

Disapointments - So far I really dont have any this season. I like the pace we are moving at. Guys seem to be getting their games done in a timely fashion. Team wise, Im sure Nebraska is disappointed with the way things have gone so far this season. But they have a good team and will surely turn things around in the 2nd half of the season.

Q: Looking forward, what are some predictions from you for the rest of the year? League winners? Championship thoughts?

A: Haha, putting me on the spot. Ok, well, I'll give you my predictions:

Big 10 Champs - Ohio State...without Wisconsin or Iowa on their schedule, the Buckeyes should cruise to another Big 10 crown.

Big 12 Champs - Texas...The Longhorns should cruise through the southern division and will likely face Mizzou in the Big 12 Championship. Mizzou had Texas on the ropes earlier this season but couldnt knock them out. Im sure this gives the Tigers hope, but if Texas plays like they should, they will win the Big 12.

Pac 10 - Arizona...despite losing to Cal this week, they still have one of the better offenses in the country. They have already taken out UCLA and still have Oregon and Oregon State as user games to get through. But I think losing to Cal will spark the Wildcats to run the table and come out of the Pac 10 as Champs.

Q: Commissioner General Comments?

A: Just something I beat like a dead horse...communicate. Schedule your games in the forum or at least post "hey Jay and I are playing tonight, we worked it out through texting" or whatever. The sooner the scheduling posts go up the better. But all in all, I think we have come a long way from season one, especially getting the user games in. So far in season 3, if my memory serves me, we havent had to sim a user vs user game yet. So thats a good step in the right direction. I'd also like to say thank you to each of you for taking a chance on this kind of league. I had to sell this idea to the brass to get them to sign off on it. I knew their had to be others out there that were on the west coast or that cant play until late night. Im glad we could throw this thing together and keep it together for this long. Lets keep up the good work and ride this out until the new game drops...then we'll go from there!

6. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

As always, good stuff Jayrah and thanks for getting this up!

7. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I wonder what will happen if Ohio state loses to Texas and both Wisconsin and OSU have the same record.

8. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I really didnt want to put that game between UT and OSU at the end of the season but thats just how it worked out. I can see UT losing to OSU than winning the Big 12 CCG and getting rematch with OSU in the title game...its possible.

9. Cheez

Well, the BCS Standings look something like this currently:

1. OSU
    2. Texas
    3. West Virginia
    4. Pittsburgh
    5. Wisconsin

Since the game is so late in the season, I see Ohio State or Texas dropping to around 5 or 6. This pushes Wisky into the #4 slot. Because WV and Pitt play each other, one of those teams will fall as well. So that pushes Wisky up to #3. Wisconsin just needs both West Virginia AND Pittsburgh to lose one game, and then they will either get a rematch with Texas or a Big Ten title game with Ohio State. This is assuming that they dont get passed by anyone, of course. And with Michigan's stomping of Iowa, I just dont see that happening.

10. Jayrah

Oh forgot about the BCS Standings. Good work Cheez.

11. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Is Pitt or WVU on anyone users schedule? Cant believe they are 3 & 4. Stinking Big Least!

12. Jayrah

Doubt it. They weren't projected that high coming into the season.

13. Cheez

I know you guys pitted me up against Cincinnati this season, and they were ranked when I played them. Maybe the thought was that I would knock them out, and they would win the Big East....

Cincinnati is currently 2-4, however. Here is WVU's remaining schedule

at UConn
    vs. Cincinnati
    vs. Hawaii
    at Pitt
    vs. Washington State

And here is Pitt's:
    vs. Louisville
    at Uconn
    vs. West Virginia
    vs. Central Florida

Pitt only has an 11 game schedule, for some reason........

14. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

I have noticed that some schools only have 11 games. Last season the Beavers had only 11 games.

15. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I noticed that too. It happens when I start messing with schedules. Not much I can do about it. The only schedules I can mess with our the users.

16. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Best qb in america and longhorn QB Gilbert is out for the season with broken Tibia. The Longhorn PTPer is Marquise Goodwin. Had the biggest play of the season taking back the Wisconsin FG 102 yards for a touchdown to end the half with triple zero on the clock, missed 2.5 games, played hurt for 3 and is still in the heisman hunt.

17. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Yup gotta wait and see if both pitt and wvu lose by the end of the season. Definitely putting one of them on my schedule for the next season.

18. Jax351

Jax351 Walk On

Great Stuff Guys!!