Nippon|Yamato Samurai Reds

Discussion in 'Team News' started by MartyWebb, May 25, 2013.

1. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

YAMATO SIGN THEIR AMERICAN HERO

After a successful season in the Kansai Independent League, the Yamato Samurai Reds got the invitation to the biggest dance in town, the Nippon Professional Baseball League. Despite the great managing efforts of Sum Yung Gui, the owner Masaharu Hayashi wanted to bring some American flare along the lines of Bobby Valentine to his organization.

In his introductory press conference, new General Manager Martin Webb flexed his baseball knowledge. "Jesus guys, slow down I can't understand a word you're saying." After a few questions were translated by his new assistant, Webb started making a little more sense than the previous mumbling he transmitted into the room. "Truth is, this team is old. These guys are talented, but if they can't make it on an American Double-A team, then I don't want them here very long. It'll be expensive, it will involve some training and rebuilding of our minor league strategies, but we'll do it." When asked about his team's expectations, he stated, "Every year we're going to try and win it all. We'll tinker, test and adjust to changes when necessary. Some might be Trial. Some might be Error. But I wouldn't be an arrogant American if I didn't say that I think we've got what it takes to compete at as high of a level as there is here in Japan."

With a roster that can compete, but a minor league system that ranks last among it's league, it'll be interesting to see how the Reds can infuse young talent and refine it in enough time to replace some aging veterans scattered across the organization.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

02/25/2021

YAMATO SIGNS FIRST FOREIGN PLAYER
    The Reds welcome Norberto Garza to Japan
    With a week gone by in Spring Training, the Yamato Samurai brass brought in a young player from Cuba by the name of Norberto Garza. "Garza, as our first dive into the foreign player market, will leave us with quite a conundrum." The problem, GM Martin Webb referred to, is that despite being listed as a Shortstop, Norberto has had pitching scouts saying that he might have stuff that will force him into the rotation. While he likely would have to catch a groove in the bullpen, whether that be with the AAA Fighting Dogs affiliate, or with the Reds, his control eventually should allow him to find a home here. "He's got a long way to go before we know what to do with him, but through his translator, he emphasized to me that he's willing to put in the extra hours with both hitting and pitching coaches to define what role he'll have with our team," spoke Webb.​

• Like Like x 1
  3. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

06/01/2021

MONTH OF MAY PRODUCES TWO AWARD WINNERS FROM CLUB
    American Signings excite the Reds' Fans

The Pacific Division of NPB has announced not one, but two Yamato Samurai Reds players as their top performers for the month of May. 41 year old Tadashi Okamoto hit .369 with 10 homers, 30 RBIs and 23 runs scored. Despite his age, Okamoto showing a fountain of youth type performance all month long. His continued success will go a long way in Yamato's quest to a Pacific Division Title. Starting Pitcher Sumitomo Komatsu, who coming into the season wasn't expected to be the ace, was everything an ace should be during the month of May. Going 5-0 in 48.1 innings, having an ERA of 1.48 and only allowing opposing batters a .183 average was what got him there. On the season, he's 9-1 in 12 games started, with a 1.48 ERA.

On the roster front, the Reds are excited to announce the signings of SP Cole Hamels and CF Thomas Avery, both Americans, to the team. Avery will have time to improve with the Kochi minor league affiliate, and at age 21, has his whole career in front of him. At the age of 37, maybe Cole Hamels' best years are behind him, but he has the chance now to play against a group of guys that's never seen him in person. His last season with heavy action was 2017 with the Astros, a campaign that saw him go 15-5 with a 3.58 ERA.