NL East Preview

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Apr 9, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Hopefully someone else will take the intiative and preview a division which is not their own. Great way to learn about the league. With the blockbuster trade by the Mets, the fact that the Braves think they'll be back, and a few other stories, I thought this would be a great division to preview.

[​IMG]

Players Lost: MR Jorge De Leon (FA), OF Mel Flint (CEI)

Players Added: MR Sean Burnett (FA), MR Daniel Klein (FA), MR Huston Street (FA), MR Keith Bruce (Rule 5), 2B Alexei Amarista (Rule 5), SP Alex Torres (FA)

The 2019 Atlanta Braves were the worst Braves team put on the field since 1990. They were 73-89 and were incredibly unlucky. Their expected record had them at 80 wins, and they fell 7 short of this. The bullpen was a huge problem for the Braves last season. Timpegoose addressed this in a big way, adding 4 bullpen arms and a SP. The biggest question for these guys is if they can "gel" or not.

The rotation is anchored by one of the best SP in the league Julio Teaheran. But after him, it is a HUGE dropoff. Although Carlos Perez had a solid year last year, his ERA jumped a full run over the 2018 season. Behind him is Michel Foltynewicz, who surprised even Goose with his solid year. A Rule 5 pick, it will be tough for him to replicate.

Offensively this team was pretty bad last year and ranked 11th of 15 teams in runs per game. Of their full-time starters, only 3B Sancho Gomez put up an OPS of .800+. Interestingly enough, he must think he is faster than he actually is. He was caught stealing 20 times, and only had 17 successful steals. OF Danny Wood and Jayson Heyward are shadows of their former selves, and they are only projected to play worse. I like the addition of Alexei Amarista, but he is not enough of an addition to really help this team.

Outlook: The Braves addressed one of their weaknesses (bullpen), but completely ignored what I feel was an even bigger weakness. Their offense. They scored 1.6 r/g less than the top team last year (Milwaukee) and outside of Gomez, have no one to be excited about. If this was the 1900's, Id like this team's chances. But not this year.

Prediction: 77- 85 (5th place)

[​IMG]

Players Lost: 2B Alexei Amarista (Rule 5), 2B Ramiro Rodriguez (Trade), 2B Matt Sorenson (Trade), SS Devlyn Birch (Trade), 3B Rob King (Trade), SS Ryan Ginnett (FA), MR J.P. Howell (FA), CF Devin Mattison (FA), 1B Jacob Realmuto (FA)

Players Added: IF Kyle Seager (FA), RF Paul Thompson (Trade), SP Mike Smith (Trade), 1B Jorge Salazar (Trade)

Last year's Miami Marlins were pretty mediocre. They finished 74-88 (4th place), 4 games below their expected record. JohnnyClutch quietly leads the Marlins and has 2 playoff appearances since the league began. They had a very busy offseason by their standards as their starting middle infield was gutted.

This will be an interesting team to watch. The 2019 offense was a middle of the pack group, and was led by all-everything OF Christian Yelich. Opposite him is another fantastic hitter in Giancarlo Stanton, forming the best outfield in the majors. SS Domingo Lopez was called up for a cup of coffee last year, and looks ready to take over the starting SS job this year. There are a lot of young hitters to watch in Miami, but they don't look like they are going to improve by that much.

The bullpen in Miami has always been good, and Josh is very consistent at putting together a strong pen. It helps to have Jake Robertson as your closer. The rotation was the biggest weakness for the Fish last year. They ranked 11th in ERA, and they addressed this in a big way with the addition of Mike Smith. They now field a very formidable #1-#4 with Smith, Bauer, Palsson and Adam Conley. I expect this to be a great rotation this year.

Outlook: Josh did a great job aquiring premium SP talent without giving away too much. The problem though is that he ignored his offense. There is a lot of youth here, and underdeveloped talent. I'd love to see more offense around Yelich and Stanton, and these young guys are going to have to grow up quick. Defensively and on the mound they should be sound. But I don't know if they can score enough. Regardless, I feel this team has the most upside of any in the divison.

Prediction: 90-72 (1st place)

[​IMG]

Players Lost: LF John Ward (Trade), 1B Chris Campbell (Trade), SS Danny Espinosa (FA), MR Troy Patton (FA), MR Tony Pena (FA), SS Reese Havens (FA), CL Mike Dunn (FA), SP Jonathan Niese (retired)

Player Added: SS Jose Vasquez (Trade), SP Luis Rodriguez (Trade), 1B Sean Johnson (Trade), SS Bruce Larson (Trade), MR Chen Lee (FA), SP Brad Peacock (FA)

Drifterbub was in this thing until the end, but faded late. The Mets ended the season 82-80 which tied their best record since 2014. This year Ronnie pulled no punches, and was part of a monster 3 team deal which brought premium talent to the Mets. They didn't stop there though as they added a very good SP in Brad Peacock.

The big question is if they can build upon their winning ways from last season? They certainly recognized a weakness from last year in their 11th ranked offense in the NL. They added a very, very underrated SS in Jose Vasquez. Although he still has a lot of room to grow, his 34 HR from last year ranked him 3rd in the NL tied with his teammate Derek Soppitt. 24 year old 1B Jose Garcia and C Carlos Santana anchor what will be a much, much better offense this year.

Their pitching staff ranked 6th in the league, and one has to be concerned about the downgrade in the bullpen. They added Chen Lee, who should help them somewhat, but CL Heath Bell is 42 years old, and a complete fall-off or injury is imminent. The rotation is improved with the addition of Peacock, but ask any championship team the importance of a good bullpen.

Outlook: Offense was the biggest weakness last year (although a lot is the park they play in), but this was addressed in a big way. The rotation was improved as mentioned, but the bullpen is a HUGE question mark for me. With close to $10 million or more to play with in free agency, I don't understand how this was not more of a focus. Just a glaring oversight in my opinion and one that will cost them the division.

Prediction: 86-76 (2nd place)

[​IMG]

Players Lost: 3B Eric Barber (Rule 5), RF Thomas Garza (Rule 5), MR Drew Pomeranz (FA), 3B Sean Rodriguez (FA), 3B Adrian Morales (FA), C Millard Rinsinger (FA)

Players Added: C Tanner Murphy (FA), CF Domingo Castro (FA), MR Jacob Barnes (FA), 3B Jeff Ford (Rule 5)

Masler had a great first season. Making the playoffs and winning the division by 8 games over the Mets. His team ranked 6th in offense, and has one of the most underrated players in RF Nomar Mazara who led the NL with 46 HR. LF Julio Zavala is another impressive outfielder, but his 2019 season was cut short with injuries. The loss of Thomas Garza in the Rule 5 draft though was a killer. He could have contributed here and helped improve upon this offense. I don't see much change in it this year, and it should stay in the top half of the league.

Their pitching staff ended the year ranked 7th in ERA and once again, no major additions. The loss of MR Drew Pomeranz certainly hurts what is already a pretty poor bullpen. Three of their returning BP arms ended the season with ERAs of 4.20 or higher. Thankfully, their rotation is a top notch group led by Juan Gonzalez who threw 200+ inning with a 3.12 ERA. He was nearly unhittable a lot of times, and ended the year with a .241 BA against. Michael Wacha and Pedro Mendoza are also very, very good SP and add a lot of depth to this rotation.

Outlook: I have a hard time seeing this team winning 91 games again this year. Their bullpen is actually worse than last year and they really didn't make any moves at all. An inactive offseason can only hurt a team especially when we see how busy the other teams in the division are. Masler is still learning the game, and an injury here or there shows how little depth this team has.

Prediction: 80-82 (3rd place)

[​IMG]

Players Lost: SS Javier Quintero (Trade), MR Ben Sharp (trade), 1B Juan Jose Orazco (Trade), 1B Mark Canha (Rule 5), SP Marcus Strohman (Trade), 2B Jose Reyes (FA), 1B Eric Hosmer (FA), C Wilson Ramos (FA), MR Shane Ferrell (FA)

Players Added: MR Rafael Perez (FA), MR Jorge De Leon (FA), MR Daniel Moskos (FA), 1B Joe Bartlett (Trade), 1B Stanley Bena (Trade), 1B Steve Rankin (Rule 5), 3B Jude Turner (Rule 5), 2B Aloisio Cartaxo (Rule 5), 3B Ed Ellis (Trade)

The 2019 Washington Nationals had their 2nd straight losing season going 77-85 as they finished 13 games back and in 3rd place. This prompted one of the busiest offseasons I think I have ever seen GM KnightNoles have. Unfortunately, this team looks nowhere near what it was 3 years ago when Noles captured his first division title (5 years too late).

The offense was the 2nd worst (14th) in the NL and outside of adding 3 First Basemen, a former 1st round pick who never lived up to his potential, and a vastly underdeveloped prospect, they aren't much better. Atlanta and Washington with both fight for the worst offense this year as they are putrid. Thankfully they have Bryce Harper who is the only legitimate hitter on this roster. In fact.. he is the ONLY hitter on this team who ended last year with an OPS of .800+. God awful.

Thankfully they finished with the #2 pitching staff last year or they would have lost 100 games again. This is a very deep rotation led by Stephen Strasburg who had an amazing year last year and had the Nats won some more games, he may have won the Cy Young. SP Cade Mack threw 185 innings last year at 25 years of age and had a solid year. Look for him to improve even more.

The good news stops there for the Nats. This bullpen is attrocious and without a great defense behind them as 4 of their best relievers had FIP of over 4.50. I have a feeling the luck runs out this year.

Outlook: Although Nick was active, he just did not improve this team much at all from last year. Castoffs and misfits galore in the lineup, and I shudder to think how bad this offense will be. The rotation is excellent, and probably a top 8 staff in the entire ML. But the bullpen won't be as lucky this year.

Prediction: 78-84 (4th place)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    PAgamer07 - you missed Jonathon Niese retiring which played a part in my bullpen and pitching in general. He also free'd up that cash that you see. So I haven't been able to do anything yet.

Good shit, though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PAgamer07

Haha. Thanks man. I added Niece. If you get some production out of the pen, I like your chances. Love Vasquez and I tried to get him from Shaun Mason but he snubbed me :(

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Ha I wouldn't have been able to to get him without the three-team deal. I didn't have the prospects to give up. And Shaun likes me more than you. ;)

I'm trying to get some more stuff done in the pen. We'll see what I can do.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Haha, that has nothing to do with it. Vasquez is a monster but strikes out a ton. You gave me value back.

6. Masler

Masler Moderator

Great read @pagame07. I do think I should have made some more moves but I was worried I would be one of those spend too much noobs and instead I did the opposite.

7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Masler don't worry, that team got predicted to finish low last year too I believe- they are a bunch of over achievers. Also, don't worry about spending too much money, you are Philly.

8. PAgamer07

I forgot to look but pretty sure you left a lot of money on the table

9. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

My bullpen blew 30 games for me last year. I had to spend some money to shore that up, but I didn't anticipate Heyward, Wood, and Pastornicky regressing like they did. It'll be interesting to see how this year plays out for me. If Wood can return to all star form I have a chance at getting my crown back.

10. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

I don't think my offense outside of Yelich and Stanton could do any worse than they did last season. I think Lopez and Wilson have a chance to put up some great numbers in there rookie seasons. Hopefully Salazar will provide some pop at 1B like he did in AAA last season.

11. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I was just re-enforcing his point! And my starters are better than he says they are. :redcard:

13. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Offensively our success is largely pinned on CF Howard Strickland, he couldn't stay healthy last year which hurts Harper and the rest of the lineup. Stanley Bena will provide some protection and add another big bat to the lineup, something that we really have seen since losing 1B Juan Torres. We may sacrifice on some defense this year, but I think the offense is a bit better then it was last year that is if everyone can stay relatively healthy.

Pitching was a surprise last year, at least from the BP angle. There is no doubt that we have a top 5 and maybe a top 3 rotation in the NL and if I can effectively micromanage the BP the staff can compete at a higher level then projected.

2019 the Nats were right in the thick of things from a month out and then we severely lost it all and went from a few games back to finishing 13 GB. If the window is still there we better do something, but it may have already closed on us after the heartbreaking choke of the 2017 NLCS.

Thanks PAgamer07 good insight on the division!