No all blue for Boise State home MWC games

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by H0TT NIKKELs, Jul 27, 2011.

1. H0TT NIKKELs

H0TT NIKKELs Walk On

Boise State will not be allowed to wear all blue uniforms for its conference home games, a stipulation that was agreed to when it joined the Mountain West.

President Bob Kustra and athletic director Gene Bleymaier signed off on the agreement. But coach Chris Petersen was less than thrilled with the arrangement when asked about it at Mountain West media day Tuesday.

“I thought it was ridiculous,” Petersen said. “… That’s our colors. That’s who we are. That’s who our fans have wanted us to be since I’ve been at Boise State. That’s what it’s been through and through.”

Coaches and players have complained for years that Boise State has an unfair competitive advantage when it wears all blue on its signature blue turf.

The main complaint is that players blend in with the field, especially on tape. Earlier this spring on a conference call, San Diego State coach Rocky Long complained about the blue turf, saying, "I think they ought to get rid of that blue turf. I think it's unfair. ... It takes the visiting team a quarter or two to get used to that different field."

Boise State has won a school-record 32 straight games at home, and never dropped a WAC home game. The last time Boise State lost a conference game at home was in 1998. The Broncos have the nation's No. 1 home winning percentage since 2000, going 69-2. One of those losses came to Boston College in a bowl game.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think it's a good move. Personally I don't think the issue is just the turf, I think it is the 10+ foot high padding all around the field that is the same color as the turf, and the boise state player's uniforms. It's a completely unfair advantage and I'm glad that the Mt. West had some sense while inviting them in.

3. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

While I do think it is an unfair advantage and should not be allowed... I still think they will continue to dominate even without the advantage. I went to Boise to watch my Fresno State Bulldogs and was hoping to get a first hand experience of the blue on blue but Boise came out with orange uniforms and still destroyed us.

4. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Hahah even Petersen knows his reasoning is complete bullshit, obviously he wants all blue uniforms so the players blend into the field more.

5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Which is worse, Boise's blue turf or Eastern Washington's red? Granted one is FBS and the other FCS, i still think EWU's is beyond an eye sore...

6. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Both give me a head ache equally.

7. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

i agree - it might help teams a bit, but i'm not sure its a deciding factor. its not like they're kicking peoples asses at home and then losing on the road. The program has only 18 losses since 2000.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

When I first saw the atrocity being committed at BSU, I felt the same way I did seeing EWU's last year. EWU's is just worse for now because we're seeing it for the first time. But yeah, a blood-red field is not the best. Sure worked well for them though. I just hope this isn't a trend, and in a few years everybdoy will have a different color turf.

Like heading to Wyoming to play in a sea of piss with a few shit-colored logos thrown in for good measure maybe.

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I shudder to think what Oregon would do to their field......

10. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Why doesnt a team just end it and make the entire field/uniforms/stadium/ball/uprights digitized camo?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

lmao oooh gooawwd

12. annil8tion

annil8tion Walk On

Even though there may be sort of a competitive advantage, this sounds like a cop out to me. If they are camouflaged then how can Kellen Moore see his recievers downfield? Also I'm probably in a vast minority, but I love Boise's field, I like seeing a team changing it up and also it gives them an insane amount of swag.

13. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

The dan Patrick show covered this pretty well this morning. Bs if you ask me.

14. Erik the Red

Erik the Red Walk On

They are just going to go with an all-silver uni set that will make it even harder for quarterbacks not to trip out while dropping back.

15. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Practice. :)

Plus, you generally know where your receivers will be. The defense, not quite as much.

-

I wish they would ban these colored monstrosities...

16. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Army's AD is creeping this board and is all over that shit.

17. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

I've also heard coaches claiming it was extremely hard to scout them on tape of home games. The blue unis somewhat blend in plus they wear silver numbers on the jerseys that reflect light which can be tough on low quality cameras from far distances.