No Huddle Issues Post TU #2

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by majesty95, Aug 17, 2012.

?

Should EA return the no huddle to the way it was before TU#2?

1. Yes

86.7%
  2. No

13.3%
  1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I did not post this in the bugs thread because I do not believe it is a big. I think that EA intended to add the extra animation to the no huddle (which I cannot figure out why) and have ruined it for many people (I don't want to use 'broke' because that is so overused).

Any word on whether they intended to correct their misdeed?

I can understand the animations in a loud road setting. But at home? That just doesn't make sense. I mean, its not like your players are set as soon as you make the play call (unless you called from the same formations). They already had to change to the new formation which would indicate your told them what play. Why the need for all of these extra animations after getting into formation? It is totally non-sensical.

I find it disturbing that the team continually adds/makes changes to things that are not widely asked for. I cannot remember anyone ever asking them to slow down the no-huddle (I even had asked that it be sped up due to delays from replays and such). It is a pattern (motion blur, Heisman Challenge 'although I have enjoyed this some' are others). Why can they not just focus on the things that are widely clamored for (gameplay, bugs, freezing)?

2. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

I hate defending EA because I really feel like EA puts out an inferior product to what they could put out if they had some competition, but I think gameplay and stuff like freezing is much harder to fix and code into the game. I think if they just changed the animation to the whole team looking to the sideline rather than that confused nonsense I'd be ok with the no-huddle delay. Typically, except for in 2-minute situations, most no-huddle teams in college will rush back to the line but then get their call so you rarely see immediate snaps like what you can do on the video game.

3. majesty95

I agree that it is not always as easy as it seems. However, spending resources adding features that aren't asked for isn't helping solve the issues that are.

I also agreed with the no huddle thing to a degree. No, you don't necessarily see the play go off as quick as you do in game. However, you are also scrolling through your playbook to select a play. Then, if it is a different formation, the players switch. How did they switch if they didn't get the playcall? The way the game portrays it, they line up in the correct formation and then act like they are just now getting the call. They are using the same animation as if you called an audible and they are using it in home games. It makes no sense.

The thing is, nothing is ever going to be exactly like real life. The speed of the default game play is much faster than real life. The speed of the players is much faster than real life (pause the game and time it, you'll see plenty of sub 4.0 40s). So, to say we want to slow down the no huddle, a staple of faced paced gameplay, when the game by default is faced paced, is contradictory. Also, who was complaining about the speed of the no huddle? If nobody thinks its an issue, why change it? Especially when there are hundreds of things that people are asking to be changed/fixed/etc...

4. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

I think this is really just a bug to be honest, though I would have no problem with them replacing the confused animation with an animation of all the players looking to the sideline for a play call. I know you can't perfectly emulate real life through a video game, but you'll NEVER see a team snap the ball the second the clock starts back up after a 1st down unless they're in a 2-minute drill. I guess it's probably going to be one way or the other 100% of the time so I'd rather see immediate snaps than this delay right now since it kinda screws over 2-minute drills.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

My only problem with it, is that the CPU isn't handicapped with the same issue. Twice I've been drawn offsides, since the patch, because the CPU snaps it immediately. It costs me a game, against a superior opponent, when running the two minute drill.

If it didn't effect the 2-minute drill(for either team), and applied to the CPU, then I would have absolutely zero problem with it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Don't understand the voting aspect here, it's a bug, nobody wants it, and of course it should go back to the way it was.

7. majesty95

I'm not sure its a bug. Is it? It seems that something of that nature occuring would be intentional, no?

We agree that it needs to go back to normal, but if there were those who oppose it for some reason, I wanted to give them a vote ;)

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

When I brought this up in OS's TU#2 impressions thread there were as many people saying that they were glad it's like it is now as there were people that agreed with me that it should go back to like it was.

9. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

That's because that's OS

• Like Like x 1
  10. ThiWhitaker

ThiWhitaker Walk On

I'd be ok with the no-huddle delay. Typically, except for in 2-minute situations, most no-huddle teams in college will rush back to the line but then get their call so you rarely see immediate snaps like

--------------------------------
    Revenge Season 1 DVD
    Game Of Thrones Seasons 1-2 DVD

11. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

12. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I think the thought is in the right place. In a game situation it is extremely difficult to get a play in, get lined up and snap the ball before the there is some sort of clock run-off. I agree that the animations should be there for loud game settings. Even when you are at home the crowd can be very loud if the game is exciting.

All that being said, it needs to be tuned/fixed. I'm going to figure out exactly what happened.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ECFIVESTER

ECFIVESTER Walk On

Posted this on another thread, but here I go:

If you call an original play audible as soon as the QB goes into his new no huddle animation (after everyone lines up) he will break out of the animation and you are free to snap the ball.

So from start to finish the sequence is this
    Run a play, hold button to indicate no huddle, choose play, wait for players to lineup, as soon as the QB begins the animation audible to original play (X + L trigger for X-Box), hike the ball (or not, you chose, the freedom is now yours).

(of course I have my offensive play style (coach setting not in game setting) to Aggressive. Because by doing that I get the animation where players look to the sidelines when I audible in a no huddle setting (thankfully they don't do this when I am breaking out the new animation. but they will if I call another audible after the original play. NOTE: that only happens when not selecting a formation audible such as Quick Pass, Run, PA Pass, or Deep Pass).

Hope this helps.

14. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

Its not a bug, its intentional and obviously the idea of a "no huddle " and a hurry up offense is the same thing in this game, sorry to say, its not the same thing irl, also, am i the only loser upset that they completely nerft all of the pa read plays? You no longer can make the "read" and hand the ball off to the hb or slot wr in motion, am i the only one who sees this as completely lazy and wrong?

15. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Are you calling EA lazy? how dare you!

16. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

wait wait wait, thats not what i said lol, i have no idea how hard/easy it is to make a video game so i cant call them lazy, just wish that more testing was done to ensure the quality of the product for the consumer.... se what i did there? :cool:

17. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Apparently I bitch too much about EA so my lips are sealed.

18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Fixed that for you.

19. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

lol its hard to be constructive when your game suddenly breaks and the CPU won't break huddles :p Maybe my standards are a bit too high though. I've been a big fan of Blizzard games for a long time and they're pretty damn good about putting out quality games.

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    You should just level your standards based on fair assessments. I think it's clear from your comments that you have no idea the complexity that is involved with a football game. Blizzard is a good company and has made some good games, but apples to apples please.

Look, I get it. I am as frustrated as anyone that I have to spend my time funneling information to the right people and digging information out of the people who are having the problems. I get frustrated when I'm faced with issues as well. I just choose to take the route to get the issue fixed instead of pointlessly moan. There are ways to speak your mind without throwing grenades over the wall and running away. I think this site has provided time and time again that we can step up to the plate and get issues fixed when we encounter them. I would like our reputation to remain as such and let other sites be known for the negative culture and bashing comments.

All this is stuff that, as a member of the Game Changer group, I can use to go to bat for us. NCAA 13 does not have near as many problems as '11 and '12 did and I truly believe that is because most the guys that go to community days are very passionate about raising the bar and making the game better. Last year was my first year in the program and there are a few features in the game because I got into the trenches with the development team and made our voice heard.

Sorry for the rant, but I have the time to finally reply to your comments since I'm not at work. Hopefully you agree that all the above is fair.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

It took 2k gaming less than 3 years to provide a competitive game with EA. Maybe you didn't like the 2k football games so you wouldn't agree but I loved 2k5. That game did [gameplay] things right that EA has yet to do with Madden and NCAA. That said I still love this year's NCAA, and I agree with you that it's much better than the past installments but some of the problems with the game are a bit ridiculous. Do they not test patches before putting them on live servers? There were numerous things listed on the last patch notes that never happened, then a bunch of new problems that popped up. I know programming isn't an exact science but meh, as fordtuff said they just seem kinda lazy sometimes.

So that team you're a part of...is that a community thing or you're actually an employee of EA?

**And if it seems like I'm just pointlessly bashing then I apologize. I'm pretty sure there's usually a topic involved such as the broken huddle thing or other issues.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  22. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    My problem isn't so much as that people complain, it's that they do it from the hip and with overwhelming ignorance. You don't know what you don't know I guess, but it really gets on my nerves when people boil down these issues as simple. I'm not sure if that is misplaced or not and it seems to be pretty widespread throughout the community. But I guess what am I if I don't try to enlighten people?

The "group" I am apart of (as well as 4 other members from this site) is called EA Sports Game Changers (http://www.easports.com/gamechangers).

• Like Like x 1
  23. majesty95

You're not comparing apples to apples. That was on last gen which was infinitely easier to program for than current gen. All-Pro Football is the only comparison you could make and, while that game had some neat features, it sacrificed in other areas that EA accels at. So that is really not a fair comarison either.

FWIW, 2k5 still has a loyal group of supprters 7 years later which says something for it. However, I played that game and could not get into it. I loved Madden and NCAA back then when they were in direct competition and would go back to both of them today if current disappeared for some reason (I hope it doesn't though :))

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  24. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I'm in the minority here, but I love the forced stall. It was unrealistic that you could run no huddle and not lose any time off the clock. 2 or 3 years ago the NCAA changed the rule to where the clock started again when the ball was "ready for play." That guarantees at least 5-10 seconds of run off, glad to see the game matching it. Just my .02

25. majesty95

Well, the only poblem with that is that in real life we have 15 minute quarters and in NCAA we usually play 5-8 minute quarters. The time ratio shoud stay balanced ie. if it takes 15 seconds in real life it should take 5-8 in game.

However, even a 15 second run off in real life is reduced drastically in a 2-minute drill. Spiking the ball is almost instantaneous after the ball is spotted because everyone knows what they are going to do. Also, many times a team will have 4-5 plays called before they start the drive which allows them to quickly call the play and snap the ball after the huddle. Even teams like Oregon, Clemson, etc will snap the ball quickly at times (outside of the 2-minute drill) to catch the defense off blance.

The other issue is the animation. The animation they are using has been used when audibling on the road in a loud environment. However, we get this same animation at home or in small, more docile environments. There has been an animation in game where the receivers look to the sideline. It seems more appropriate that if they are going to slightly (and I emphasize slightly) slow down the no huddle, that the looking to sideline animation makes more sense.

Also, the animations and delay should apply both to the user and CPU which it currently does not.

I am completely in favor of returning it to its pre-patched form. That was a big part of running that type of offense to me. However, if they insist on having a delay, I think it should be a little shorter and more appropriate to the situation. Also, it should be incorporated into the game as a whole, meaning the CPU as well, and needing to run plays more quickly in the 2-miute drill should be taken into account.