No-Huddle Offense

Discussion in 'Legendary Veterans' started by GodsGiftWPS, Feb 5, 2013.

1. GodsGiftWPS

GodsGiftWPS Banned

Since my first two opponents have complained about my use of the no-huddle offense I felt I should go ahead and post this after reading the rules in more details.

So I guess this is me claiming that the Clemson Tigers are adopting the no-huddle, spread attack. Any questions, comments, and concerns please voice them. Thanks.

2. hog501

hog501 Banned

I run it in cerain instances, but I don't run it EVERY single play that gains yards. The rule seems to imply that you can't run it occassionally, but you must run it all the time. The Parrothead what's your take on this?

3. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Looking at the rules, it also says this:

• No Huddle Offense: The no huddle offense is to be used only in a coordinated effort to move the ball with limited time on the clock. This type of offense is permitted within 2 minutes of halftime, or at any time while losing in the 4th quarter. The no huddle offense may not be run in situations where the clock is stopped (e.g. incomplete pass, out of bounds play, etc.).
    Looks like we have a contradiction in the rules and will need to decide as a group if we want it to be allowed as in the first rule or the second rule. Whichever we decide is fine, and we'll eliminate the one that isn't needed.

I'd agree with hog501 in that if we go with the second option, you MUST run it the entire game unless it is in the situations mentioned in that rule. Please let me know your thoughts on which rule you would prefer. In the meantime, I'm going to check with other leagues to see what their take on the no huddle is. If the site has deemed it not be used, we'll follow site guidelines.

Riptides
    Will Atkinson
    Burrcat2277
    GodsGiftWPS
    hog501

4. GodsGiftWPS

GodsGiftWPS Banned

I ran the no-huddle for about 66% of my plays, but when you throw in plays that went for negative yards, clock stoppage, or incomplete passes...or 3rd down conversions when I had the bigs out there that accounted for the other 34% of the plays.

5. hog501

hog501 Banned

I would vote for being able to run it at your own discretion minus the obvious situations such as being up by two+ scores. To say that if you run it once, you must run it the entire game is silly really. The no-huddle is a great tool when used properly.

6. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Obviously those would be the exceptions if we go with that version of the no-huddle rule. Assuming you're voting for that one.

7. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

The Tradition (premier league) allows you to run the no-huddle once, then return back to regular play calling. They've still got the rules about returning to a huddle when the clock stops, negative yardage, etc.

8. hog501

hog501 Banned

I would mainly use it in a situation where, for instance, I was four wide and my opponent came out with two/three LB's. This would be a major mismatch and I would use no-huddle to prevent my opponent from subbing out his LB's. That's a bad playcall on his part, and I would exploit it. What I do is similar to how Oregon operates in real life but much slower.

I would guess I run it around 30-40% of the time. Really depends on the situation and my opponent. I don't run it just to run it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Like the last sentence of this post.

10. GodsGiftWPS

GodsGiftWPS Banned

You can also ask both my previous opponents, in the first game I used it in the first half and during the start of the 3rd quarter...once the lead was stretched to 2+ possesions I chewed clock and ran the football.

In the 2nd game I trailed 75% of the time, my opponent chewed clock the entire game...intentionally or not (he did NOT use it through adjustment settings). This style of play and me being down by more than 8 for pretty much the 2nd quarter on forced my hand into using a no-huddle because if I did not score quickly I was not going to have a chance at the comeback.

11. Riptides

Riptides Potential Star

I don't run it so I'm not really a fan. I would vote no, but let me know how it turns out and I'll roll with it.

12. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

This my take:

My only problems with no-huddle are the following:

- after an incompletion
    - after a bad play (they get stuffed on a run to make it 2nd and 14 then they go no huddle audible)
    - after a short yardage play where you are in a run heavy defense, they convert and immediately go no huddle with 5 WRs or something like that

In past ODs I would sometimes go no-huddle if I was in a rut for a change of pace. So in summary I see nothing wrong with breaking it out from time to time. Teams in real life will do this as a change of pace. With all that being said I'm cool with whatever the OD decides.

13. Burrcat2277

Burrcat2277 Walk On

I have very minimal use with the no huddle but I think users can use it at their own discretion. My thought is, I play schools where they run no huddle every play no matter what so why not a user run it as long as they don't use it to try an exploit anything.

14. GodsGiftWPS

GodsGiftWPS Banned

There are rules in place here that you can NOT audible like that, can't audible from I-Form into Shotgun and that kind of thing. Rules also in place that no-huddle stops when the clock is stopped, incomplete pass, run out of bounds, negative play, and so forth.

15. GodsGiftWPS

GodsGiftWPS Banned

I think I saw where 8 schools in the Big 12 are set to no-huddle offense as CPU's.

16. Burrcat2277

Burrcat2277 Walk On

It doesn't surprise me, the Big12 is bad about that