No Huddle Offensive Strategy

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by MartyWebb, Jul 10, 2013.

1. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Hey everyone,

So the College Football universe is covered with no huddle teams, as even NCAA 14 will make you realize as you tour your team around the country. Despite the fact that it likely isn't going to fly in your Online Dynasty here at TSO, in an offline dynasty, if you're interested in running a no huddle I started doing something a little different that has changed the game for me.

Whenever I'm running the no huddle, using the obvious common sense rules like going back to the huddle after a tackle for loss, I like to wait until the offense is completely back and in their positions before I select a formation/play to use. So I complete a 5 or 50 yard play downfield, everyone lines up as if to run the same play, then I take the playcall (as if I'm looking to the sidelines,) move players around if necessary based on the formation and call the play there. It slows it down a little bit, so you don't get a ridiculous amount of plays as well.

With a game playing as SMU, against Rice, I was able to have 45-50 offensive plays in this system, I had 384 yards total offense and only 256 yards through the air. Nothing that really is outrageous at all. Of course, a lot of this stems on the fact that EA fixes the No Huddle CPU Defense not changing their play at all during the drive.

Just thought I'd share, and if you have any tips for running that system in a sim style, feel free to share.

2. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

I'd like to know how to stop this crap against the CPU. its so annoying that nearly every team hurries up to the line now. i swear i'm going to go edit each coach of every team and put no huddle to normal instead of aggressive. sick of it.

on topic, good idea. i run the spread option, just not the HUNH.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

After the first drive, my best advice, depending on the style they come out in, just call your defensive formation accordingly. If they have 3WR|1TE|1HB, I'd go to Dime or Dollar immediately, and at least in the passing game have those guys covered-ish.

4. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

Definitely think you should run a nickel here. 3-3-5 maybe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ECFIVESTER

ECFIVESTER Walk On

What are your quarter lengths?

6. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

I think I had 7 minute quarters in that game?

7. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

It depends who you want covering that TE a bit, right? Assuming your safeties are like most, which is to say not fantastic man-to-man guys. I can deal with smaller players and swarm an offensive player vs. having the right size, but not the speed to make a tackle or to keep up a receiving option.

8. ECFIVESTER

ECFIVESTER Walk On

At 7 min quarters I would expect that both teams should average around 70-80 plays if they are running no huddle or hurry up offenses. As a true hurry up offense averages 75+ plays a game with a high of 90 (Marshall last year); Oregon averaged 81.4 and ranked 9th in plays per game, Texas A&M ran 78.9 and ranked 16th in plays/game, and Southern Methodist (SMU) the team you played with ran 70.5 plays/gm and ranked 61st.

45-50 plays is way too low for a hurry up offense, I could see that working if you playing 5 minute quarters, but I think it needs some tinkering. so as to reflect something more sim. Although I do agree about how you are playing the hurry up, it is not true to the sim environment here with the shortened game time.

(Numbers are taken from sports-reference.com -
    http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2012-team-offense.html#offense::13

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I wanna play you!

11 personnel is my base power running personnel and I LOVE running against dime and dollar Ds.

10. ECFIVESTER

ECFIVESTER Walk On

A better indicator for the game over number of plays is actually number of possessions. In a typical college football game each team experiences around 8 possessions. or 16 through out the course of the game. This usually accounts for more sustained drives as well. Teams that run hurry up average closer to 10 possessions a game.