No Huddle Spread Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by MurkYa21, Jun 15, 2010.

1. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

No Huddle Spread Thread

Who's with me?!

What is going to be your strategy with this? It's a pretty cool setup if you've played the demo, after going no huddle you can choose any play from any formation with the players on the field.

I'll probably set a goal time of how quickly I want the ball snapped after selecting my plays, it looks like fatigue is going to play a huge role and there is even "tempo" as one of the strategy keys.

With that said, I'll try to figure out a way to get a "rotation" going with the formation subs. I think every time I do go to a huddle after an incomplete or w/e I can get some subs in.

Should be an incredible offense!

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Meh, it looks a little lame to me.

I dont really like how it is implemented...seems like it changes the overall feel of the game a bit too much.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I mean this is how the real game is being played these days and we always say we are sim, as long as there is a good selection of plays to call to try and stop hte other team I'm fine with it.

4. Blaza

Yeah, I dunno I guess it is just something to get used to. I feel like IRL there are coordinators in the booth making life and playcalling a little easier than it translates into the game.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I don't get it

6. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I think my only issue would be opponents calling plays in seconds not giving the defense a chance to even pick a play.... With how long it takes to scroll thru plays, the offense could easily abuse and take advantage of the feature.

7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Running with my Wolverines, I'm kind of with you. We only run no huddle after big plays, which I'll consider 10 yards or greater next year.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

The defense has the opportunity to pick a play as soon as the offense hits Y or whatever they do for the no huddle. The offense dose not get back to the line immediately, it takes a few seconds and I think there will be plenty of time to pick a play.

9. Blaza

Shocker :D

Nah it all seriousness IMO it just seems that EA has enabled the No-Huddle cheesers of the past with more plays. At least against the CPU, even though they have to run up to the line, I still do not feel like it gives the defense enough time to choose their play. IRL almost every no-huddle has the offense get to the line but takes a few moments to "check with me" with the coaches. I like that both sides get tired more easily with it on, but I think they should've maybe implemented something where you cannot hike the ball before a certain time on the playclock or something to make it a little more balanced. Currently, I think the offensive advantage is too big.

10. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Agreed, it seems you get enough time on defense to pick a play just like offense. Shouldnt be much of an issue i dont think. More plays=more chances of offensive mistakes in my view

On another note: I thought when the spread/no-huddle stuff was modified this year the QB/Players would be doing the whole turning their heads to the sidelines checking for the play call...

11. Blaza

Yeah, this is what they should do realistically. One small change I think would make it better is to not allow the offense to view/cycle their plays before everyone on offense is set.

12. Iron Mickey

Excellent point....damn, EA really botched that part of it when you think about it. B/C the play hasnt been selected until the offense "checks with me" on the sidelines w/the coaches.

And the offense is set at that point on the LOS.

13. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Only way I would really use t is to run different variations of 4 WR sets. But It shouldn't be used after plays that are incomplete passes or goes out of bounds or tackles for loss.

14. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Our QB is looking to the coach as soon as the play is about to be over pretty much, everyone is getting set as he calls the play.

15. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Has anyone played around with the aggressive tempo setting? This causes your players to get to the line faster, but they tire quicker too. I had figured that this would be the setting you'd want for your no huddle spread attack, but it seems to be almost all CON, with very little PRO. This was general impression through a few games so I did some tests this morning.

TEST1:
    With Clemson I played a normal no huddle drive with "balanced" tempo. I had about an 8 play scoring drive and at the end I think I had a few yellow guys and that was it. I then played a no huddle drive with "aggressive" tempo. Most of my guys were exhausted by the end of the drive but I couldn't really notice the pace being faster.

TEST2:
    I did 2 quick tests before work. For each test I ran 5 wide, 4 verts. On defense I played quarters with DL in contain (so I had lots of time in the pocket). I allowed my receivers to run at least 30-40 yards down field and then I ran to the LOS to get tackled. I did this for 3 no huddle plays in a row. For the "aggressive" tempo test, I even held down "A" after selecting my play so that the players ran back to the line faster. For the "balanced" tempo test, I didn't hold "A" at all.

Tempo setting avg time left on play clock Fatigue of players
    Aggressive 30s 1 red, 3 Orange, 1 yellow
    Balanced 28s 2 orange, 1 yellow

The 2 orange players for balanced were both WRs who were running streaks. The red guy in aggressive was the QB and some of the linemen were tired too. So, at the expense of some very tired players, I can only hike the ball 2 seconds earlier. Also keep in mind that this was only 3 plays and my QB was already red.

I did the same test with 3 consecutive read option plays (IE. I didn't have 4 guys sprinting 40 yards downfield on every play) and the difference in the play clock was only 1 second.

Has anyone seen a reason to use the "aggressive" tempo with the no huddle?

16. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

That's not how it works actually. As the QB is heading back to the LOS he's getting the play from the coaches. He calls it and then everyone looks to the sideline. The looking to the sideline is for the coaches to read the defense first (since the teams were still heading to the LOS when they called the play). If they like how their play matches up with the D, they let it go. If not, then they'll audible to a different one.

17. Iron Mickey

I guess that's what I was kinda trying to say, but you stated it much better.

18. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    The only thing I don't like about this is the amount of plays you will be able to run in a game. What most people don't realize is that teams that run the no-huddle and up-tempo offense use a lot of the play clock to make adjustments and audible after the sideline checks. A&M, OU, TTech, Texas, Missouri, SMU, and others almost always snap the ball with less than 10 seconds on the playclock.

19. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Maybe we can revise the rules for this years release to allow the use of the hurry up-no huddle -- but say that you must wait for the playclock to be at 15 seconds to snap the ball to give the defense time to cycle through their plays

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Maybe. We are still talking about a demo. We will have to review everything from every angle all over again when the new game comes out. It's nice to get discussion about these sorts of things, though.

21. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Look at the clock...for some reason I think it "sims" 10 seconds on normal, but not on aggressive?

22. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

We run no huddle at my school, and average a rediculous number of plays per game..87 plays per game..tempo is a big word here

Does it do that when you no huddle? I don't understand why it would, you should be in real time while you're staying on the field..

23. Blaza

Well yeah, that's the point. IRL, guys may race up to the line but they almost never hike the ball immediately. Even if they know the play, they take a look at the D, take a look at the sideline, audible, etc. In the demo as is, if you can run 4 wide slants and just race up and reel off a 4 wide inside handoff etc ad-nauseam. The tempo is way faster than it would be IRL.

Precisely. It's too fast.

24. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Houston avg'd 87 plays a game last year. Texas A&M was #2 with 81. Texas Tech was #7 with 76. It drops off significantly from there. 87 plays a game on average is MOVING! lol.

25. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I think in NCAA 10 I average about 55-60 plays. I try to run about 60% of the time too.