No Huddle??

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Hokie Effect, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

What are the restrictions on no huddle? I changed may playbook to Utah State incorporating the no huddle (ala Oregon) feature as a change of pace out of boardom for this seaon. I posted this in the playbook thread and there wasn't anything mentioned of concern. During my game against Perry it was questioned. I never no huddled after an incomplete pass or out of bounds. After it was drawn to my attention that it may not be allowed I stopped running no huddle. Just want some clarification.

2. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I honestly couldn't care less, as long as you aren't changing formations between plays (a la 4WR set into an I-Form with the WR at TE) to your own advantage

3. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

run it. maybe fake audible at the line so that the offense does the look at the sideline animation. that should give more than enough time for the defense to figure things out.

4. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

According to the rules it is allowed.

Hurry Up Offense: This is allowed, however you must allow your opponent a reasonable amount of time to call a play on defense.

My personal opinion is I don't like it, unless ran in obvious situations(down big, end of half or game, etc..) I just think that as it translate to the video game it puts the offense at to big of an advantage allowing you to switch formations and putting your own players out of position. However, you know what the saying is about opinions "they are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink"

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

The consensus in the commish forum has been that so long as you don't use it to put WR's at TE or FB and you allow the player on defense a reasonable amount of time to call their defensive plays it is ok.

However, it's ultimately brave's call.

6. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Well I unfortunately don't watch a lot of college football outside the Big 10, so I'm not by any means an expert on the subject. My opinion is that in normal situations (meaning not pressed for time) you only run no-huddle when you have momentum in your favor. If you were to get stopped for a loss or throw an incompletion you should go back to the huddle to regroup. This would not apply in time restrictive stages of the game, before half or end of the game.

There is not an official rule at this point so I would prefer to keep the discussion open to see other people's take on the issue. Slick or some other people that watch more Big 12 games than I do might be able to give a more accurate portrayal on how real teams run this type of offense. After we come to a consensus I will add it to the rule book. I really need to update that anyways, hasn't been touched in months.

7. vBIG SLICKv

If you look in the descriptions and rules it states that the hurry up offense is allowed. It doesn't specify if it is allowed through out the entire game or just in no huddle situations.

There are a few teams in the Big XII that run a type of hurry up offense(ok, okst,). As i said above I don't think the no huddle translates well into the game, but that is just my opinion.

8. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

My complaint wasn't that formation changes were made because he didn't do that. I just thought it was discussed in the commish forum that you shouldn't go no huddle after a loss or no gain unless your in an "under 2 minute situation."

9. Dru50

I'm not a huge fan of someone using it all game long, as I'm in agreement with Slick - I don't think it translates well in game.

But, none of us have been able to beat Hokie, so he's probably bored and needs something to keep him entertained. As long as he isn't using it to cause wierd formations and isn't going no huddle after incompletions/losses than I don't have an issue with it.

10. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Dru hit the nail on the coffin, I have been using the same playbook in all 3 of my dynastys for 4-5 seasons and needed a change. I was inspired by wathcing Oregon in the BCS titl game and decided to go with a spread no huddle concept. I didn't make the switch to gain an advantage or put players in postions on the field to create AI problems. I had no reason too as I have been fairly successful before.

I am more conscious of how to run it now after open discussion without being in danger of violating any rules. I just played Twist and I think he can attest to that. I always gave time for defense to make adjustments, never went no huddle after an incomplete pass, out of bounds or a big loss. If it was no gain or loss of 1-2, I might have stuck with it. After I had a comfortable lead I stopped running the no huddle and worked the clock more. But please if I am playing anyone and there is a concern pause the game asap to discuss.

11. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

It's a b!tch to stop but hokie ran it fine when I played him today, no complaints.

12. vBIG SLICKv

Hokie, as long as you run it as you have outlined above then I don't see a problem with it. Let it fly!!

13. Dru50

Good to hear Slick, I think I'm going to start experimenting with it in my week 4 game. I'll let Vandermint tell you how it works if I decide to put it in the game plan.

Believe me, FSU will be ready when Texas comes to town.

14. vBIG SLICKv

I have no doubt the seminoles will be ready down in Tallahasse! If I can make it through my Big XII gauntlet, our game will be a big one!

15. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

You gave plenty of time between plays and I am like brave, I don't watch a whole lot of football outside the Big 10 so I don't know how prevelant it is in college football. It does wear out your young players on defense pretty badly. Most of my defense was yellow and the fresh and sophs were red after a long drive or so but that can be a good strategy. Just my 2 cents.