No more EA exclusivity?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by BigSmooth33, Jul 23, 2012.

1. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    It came out over the weekend. It's really of no consequence, they didn't give up the NFL license.

3. btbam91

btbam91 Walk On

NICE!

Just wish they would lose the NFL exclusivity too. I miss NFL 2k5... such quality compared to any Madden I have ever played.

4. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Doesn't look like that is going to happen.

5. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

No consequence because no other game maker will try and compete with NCAA?

6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    The only exclusive license that matters is the NFL, Madden is the big moneymaker (other than FIFA).

No one has made an NCAA game other than EA for a long time, long before the exclusive license.

7. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

They're still able to make NCAA though, right? Just no exclusive liscense?

I think that lawsuit is retardo honestly. "Hey, I kept buying the game but now I want a refund. I'll claim the games were overpriced even though they matched standard pricing for similar games on the platform." (y)

8. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Yes, they still can make NCAA.

9. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Yeah I agree. I mean basically its saying EA bought the exclusive rights to the NFL, and then immediately jacked up the price of their NFL game and that's bad!

So as punishment we're going to let them not renew two different exclusive licenses for games nobody ever wanted to make a competitor for in the first place.

10. QBKILLAR

QBKILLAR If you only win one, please let it be Ole Miss.

You dont think there is a chance a company who already has a template like 2K would ever make a NCAA game just to gauge interest in their gameplay just to see if bidding on the NFL rights would be smart money wise?

I agree with you it's just wishful thinking because I think a little competition would be nice for football franchises.

11. btbam91

btbam91 Walk On

If Visual Concepts made an NCAA game... GOODBYE EA Sports!

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Based on what?

They put out terrible hockey games, terrible MLB games.

The only success they've had since NFL2K5 (which was only a success because it was $20) is NBA2K.

13. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I've never played a 2K football game that I consider great.

14. QBKILLAR

I'm not ringing a 2k bell either because I've been a Madden fan forever myself. I'm just saying that if after what 2k11 made EA do with NBA Elite the each would feed of each other to make the best game possible.

Now I did have some fun with Gameday back in the day but I wasnt trying to compare it to anything. It was just what it was.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  15. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    They cancelled NBA Elite.

16. QBKILLAR

Thats my point because it wasnt up to par. Think their new NBA game releases in Jan? I enjoy both EA games but it would be nice to see what improvments other dev's could make.

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I don't think that had anything to do with 2K, more the massive scream that went up when that demo dropped.

18. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I agree, I picked up the $20 version of 2K (whichever that was) and played it about 5 times before shelving it for good. I never saw what the hype about that series was.....

19. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

2K has no business doing anything else online until they upgrade their servers.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

Boom bam and Bip.

21. BlyGilmore

If only they could make a baseball game worth a shit.

btw I really doubt anybody makes another NCAA Football game. Lets say they get super lucky and split the NCAA market with NCAA Football 2k14 - that's still only like 400,000 copies (NCAA 12 sold 760,000 copies).

that's why this whole thing is BS. The NFL license is the holy grail. Do nothing about that and this is just a dog and pony show.

22. BlyGilmore

Part of it was the price. Give folks something for $20/$30 they think is worth $50 and they're going to be happy. Even when EA answered, it was seen like they had to so they didn't get the same kind of good will form the move.

The other part? Anti-EA folks getting really their first chance in a long while to stick it to "the man." I really figured this out during the OS game tourney I ran a few years back. It wasn't really that people loved NFL 2k5 persay - they loved what is represented. Especially after EA got the game killed with its exclusive license. And the fanboi fanaticism matched that level of "importance."

23. btbam91

btbam91 Walk On

Based on how NFL 2k5 wiped the floor with Madden. Does it not astonish you that mechanically, 2k5 is in so many ways superior to Madden 12? Even after all these years? Competition is good for the consumer, and without it, EA Sports rehashes Madden/NCAA into games with minimal improvements each and every year.

24. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

As I've never really played an EA football game I consider great.

Competition is good for us consumers and pushes the developers to do more than just polish last years game, and EA could stand a little pressure IMO...

Like you said though, I agree this is a lost point since I don't think 2k will dabble in the NCAA game (football wise--PLEASE bring back College Hoops!)

Only think I can hope for is that they do it to start working on some future rendition of and NFL game they may have their eye on, but thats wishful thinking.

• Like Like x 1