North Carolina at Florida State

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Blaza, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

North Carolina at Florida State

After going 0-for in his first 3 outings as Head Man(including a 56-21 drubbing by Ga Tech), Coach Blaza has made it 3 in a row picking up a huge conference road win in week 10. The Tarheels brought their A game to Doak Campbell Stadium putting together their first complete game under Coach Blaza's short tenure.

The game started out slowly with UNC winning the toss and deferring to the second half. They forced a 3 and out on Florida State's first drive, but could not muster any offense on theirs either and had to punt it right back giving FSU solid field position. The D bent but didn't break and FSU put 3 on the board with a 29 yard FG. 6'2 257 lbs RB Ryan Houston ended the 1st quarter scoring by punching it in from 4 yards out with 1:45 remaining.

In the 2nd quarter, Houston found the endzone again from one yard out and on the ensuing possession, Sr OLB Zach Brown pulled the trifecta smacking RB Jermaile Thomas with a big hit, scooping the fumble, and racing 39 yards for the score. Thomas was able to answer with a 3 yard run right before the half, but UNC drove again with under a minute left to make it 24-10 at the break.

The Tarheels carried their momentum into the 2nd half as Sr Mike Paulus found Jr WR Jonathan Adams on a 77 yard catch and run on the first play of the half. Here it all came unraveled for the Seminoles as 10 seconds later, Sophomore CB Ryan Fuller returned Jermaile Thomas' second fumble 19 yards for a score.

It would not get much better for the Seminoles who could not muster much offense in this game. With a few minutes remaining in the 4th, Sophomore Terrance Burgess FS scooped another FSU fumble and saw nothing but green grass in front of him but with the game in hand and a bad hamstring, the heady defender hit the turf and tried to let his offense milk out the victory. The 'Noles never gave up hope hitting Brian Reed on a 42 yard pass with 27 seconds remaining, but it was too little too late as UNC took a 59-24 victory back to Chapel Hill.

Although the defense played like gang busters, Coach Blaza was most delighted by the play of his Senior QB Mike Paulus. In his first year as a starter (although I don't see how), Paulus had a tough start in the first few weeks. But he turned his tail up in this one connecting on all 21 of his attempts going a perfect 21-21 for 279 yards and 2 scores. Six different receivers caught balls with Jr WR Jonathan Adams leading the way with 6 rec for 142 yards and 2 TDs.

"Paulus played a heck of a game for us today," Coach Blaza said. "We knew Florida State would look at our losses against Clemson and Georgia Tech and think we had a statue back there, but the kid stared the pressure right in the eye and made the right throws. I'm proud of him"

The Heels hope to close out their season with 2 wins as they face Boston College and Northwestern in their last 2 games.

GG Kinger.

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Nice win Blaza.....finally.

Dont sleep on Boston College....they are a pain in the arse!!(n)

3. Blaza

Yeah we needed to get off the snide in a user game. I'm getting familiar with the haves and have nots on this team. I really wish I would've gotten the chance to take over the team before this season started though. This team is Junior an Senior laden, and there are SEVERAL players who should've been redshirted.

And you keep in mind 2 of our 3 losses were by a combined 3 points mister! :(

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    The QB before was more of a "I don't know what I want to be" QB.

He had only 75 speed and his arm was pretty decent but not like Paulus's arm.

Then they were running air force PB, with use of the fleXbox One, it's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Personally, I found great success using a pocket QB with Oregon last year's game. If I can recruit a really good pocket QB, I'll surely change my ways.

Good win though, you had an offensive explosion.

5. Blaza

Yeah man, 75 speed is definitely not enough to be considered a running QB IMO. Paulus has a bigtime arm for sure. He has plenty of power and very good accuracy. I'm disappointed he wasn't redshirted previously, as I have another very mediocre guy who will have to start next year (as a senior) and 2 freshman who suck.

Not only that, but there were no good QB's on my board when I took over and I was too far behind to make inroads on any of the solid QBs of this years class. Oh well, hopefully I can pluck a stud next cycle.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Waaaaaaaah, stop blaming your problems on the previous coach!

Just kidding dude. Nice win. Looks like a tough one for Kinger though with his Heisman candidate leaving the ball all over the turf.

7. Blaza

LOL, not trying to man. Bly definitely got some good young talent on the team, but there are about 5 moves here or there that would've really set me up for a less stressful next couple of years. No excuses though, these are our boys now---must find a way.

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Time for you to step up and get a justin.tv account and broadcast......

9. Blaza

I've been seriously considering it. Love playing on the big stage.