Note What Happens with 3 Conf Setup

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Jan 25, 2012.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I'm bored at lunch and wanted to post this. I argued dilligently coming into this launch for a two conference setup. Unfortunately, I was in the minority. Currently we're 6 seasons into this thing and I'd like you guys to take a look at what's happened and how lopsided this setup has become.

1 - All 6 divisions have a pretty clear cut favorite with the exception maybe being Wolverines/Spartans & Ark/OM (but this ones due to turnover).

Wisconsin, ASU, Stanford, Georgia have clearly dominated their divisions and will likely continue to do so for the remainder of `12. Wisconsin, ASU, and Georgia are putting together recruiting classes that will be untouchable by the rest of us. Washington's AD is considering firing their HC so it's clear Stanford will cruise the rest of the way there most likely (no offense Randy).

The Ole Miss/Arkansas rivalry is tough to determine. That one may have stayed competitive in Nautica stayed. I'm not sure how it'll go with Controllerabuser and Edge in there now.

2 - The argument against three conferences again remains, you have one important game per season against your in conference user opponent. The CPU AI can't withstand the users and it's especially evident now as the scores seemingly continue to roll in 40+ - 0 even against good teams.

3 - With a two conference setup, do you think Wisconsin and Georgia would have won that many consecutive Conference Titles having to go through 2 other users in division as well as a strong out of division schedule and a Conf Champ Game? I don't think so.

4 - The CPU would steal a NC every once in a while as the other big conferences would likely get represented as user conferences would likely produce Conference Champs with 2 losses at times.

Just wanted to put this stuff out there. I'm sure others will see it differently, but I'm just not a big fan of the 3 conference setup because the CPU can't be relied upon to hold up their end of the bargain.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

You are right. Those are absolutely negatives of the 3 conference set up. The main argument against a 2 conference, if I remember correctly, was limited team selection. What do you say to persuade those who have limited interest outside of certain teams?

3. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Suck it up, broaden your horizons, find a new team, and go at it.

4. GoGators

It would take 4 people to take a non top tier team, two in each conference. So in the B1G for example we'd need some one at Iowa, PSU, Ohio St, Illinois, or Nebraska in addition to the 4 we have now. I'd take any one of those teams. There's more than enough teams to choose from. Plus, this group has been together long enough now that we know who the better stick/recruiters are and the guys that could use a little bump at the beginning (i.e. those being allowed to take a 6 star program etc. with the way I'm playing this year that might be me next season :))

The other cool thing to consider for next season is the SEC will have 14 teams, the Big East will have 100+. Depending on what conferences we pick next year, there could be ample teams to choose from.

Additionally, I can only speak for myself, but I had zero vested interest in NU coming into this season. I'm probably having more fun playing with these guys than I did playing with Florida. Additionally, jello1717 seems to be enjoying ASU where he has no vested interest, Masler seems to enjoy Stanford where he has no vested interest. I think this league has grown to the point now where it's about the group of guys and the matchups, not about being required to play as your favorite team anymore, but again that's just my impression. As long as guys get to run with their favorite team every couple years, I think we'd all be happy.

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Says the guy playing with his favorite team.....

6. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

This is 100% why i love this game. Take my Ohio Dynasty. I had nothing connected to Ohio. I could even say i hated them cause my ex went to Miami (OH) so the whole rivalry thing was there. I went to the Ohio vs Miami (OH) when Ohio won and i could say i didn't like em. But after playing with them, I really started to like them and i've even bought some Ohio shirts and an Ohio hat. It's so great because if you just say fuck it and i'll pick anyone, you'll find yourself liking a brand new team and you'd for sure keep tabs on them IRL on Saturdays

7. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I said at the beginning i'd take anyone and we could say fuck it to the Pac-12 and go two conference since most of you wanted B1G and SEC schools. If you don't recall.

8. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Ok then we sign you up for Vandy for '13? I like the 3 conference set up and also u/s what Gators is saying. I would be open to a 2 team set-up in the future as long as everyone has a shot at a team they really like. Or EA would allow some ability to adjust the conference schedules to have interdivisional user games every year.

9. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Yeah I'll take em :D

10. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Anyone opposed to moving PAC-10 teams into SEC and B1G? may not be the most attractive geographic set up but it lets everyone stay with their teams.

11. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I wouldn't mind but it would seem odd is all.

12. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

What we do is have a protected rival which is on the other side of the conference, as well as the other user in your division. So essentially you have 2 user games in conference. The other problem is unless you go with crappy conferences (MAC or some shit) its hard to find a conference where teams have a lot of balance at the start.

13. dakota7

Now?? unnnnnnnhhh, not too excited about that.

I think we can just use this thread as our first NCAA 13 discussion.:cool:

14. dakota7

We talked about that, but some guys didn't want to lose their rivalry games for recruiting purposes.

15. dakota7

I'm totally down for the WAC and MWC next year!

16. GoGators

I wouldn't change what we have this year now.....let's play it out. I was just posting what's currently happening so maybe we can consider trying something else next year in `13.

17. PAgamer07

Yeah it certainly sucks you lose that protected rival game, but if you dont want the same two teams playing for conference championships this is an option. There are a lot of rivals though for each team, so you can still schedule those as OOC games.

18. GoGators

The issue with this though is the cross division game doesn't mean anything. If you win your in division game you hold the tie breaker and even if you lose cross division, you'll still go the CCG.

Take the SEC.

Florida Georgia in East
    LSU Auburn in West

FL plays LSU and Auburn plays Georgia as cross division rivals. If Florida loses to LSU and Georgia beats Auburn, it still comes down to the Florida vs Georgia game. If Florida beats Georgia they go to the CCG cause they'd hold the tie breaker with one loss.

19. dakota7

For the record, I wanted to change the rivals and alternate them on an every other year basis. But if you look at Wisconsin, both of its rivals are in the other divison in the B1G. Minnesota is protected, so if we change it to user teams (Michigan or MSU) I'd never have a rivalry game. Can't schedule Minnesota as a non-conference game, can you?

20. jello1717

I think with 2 conferences, it really screws up the team selection. We had avoided 6* teams for this year and I think that was absolutely the right thing to do. You ignore 6* schools from the B1G and SEC and you have very few teams to choose from. If we allow 6* schools, then you've got teams like Northwestern not only competing with a built up :5stars: Wisconsin, but a 6* aOSU too. If we allow 6* schools, the CPU teams would fall out of the picture that much sooner (this year it took us 3 completed seasons before we got a 6* school). I'm not sure about the others, but my recruiting classes before I reached 5* and 6* sucked donkey balls as CPU teams were getting great recruits instead of me. If you look @ what I've done with recruiting classes at ASU when I hit 6*, just imagine what I would've done had I been allowed to use LSU from the beginning.

As far as making the divisions more competitive goes, to answer your question, yes I think that Wisconsin would've dominated just as much even if he had 1 more guy in his division. When was the last time he lost to anyone?? I think I'm roughly 17-7 against users, so I think I would've won my division just as often as I have now (people seem to think that I've dominated the South, but this year will be only my 4th south title in 6 years as I was only 3-2 before this year). I think that Masler is the only one that might not have dominated his division like he has if he had another user as Washington has never been in a position to compete (just like Northwestern and Wisconsin, but like I said, Wisconsin has dominated everyone). UGA has dominated non-divisional opponents as well so I see him doing just as well in a 3 team division as now.

Going back to the team selection, I got lucky with Utah and ASU as both teams were fun to use. Had I not been given those options, I would've been hosed. I had 0 desire to use anyone from the B1G and it's safe to say that would not have used any of them. If we went SEC, I could've gone with LSU or UGA (and probably no one else) but I'm REALLY glad now that I didn't as I've had a lot more fun taking my :3stars: school to the verge of eliteness. Even though there's lower prestige schools in the SEC, I'm not gonna use Ole Miss, MSU, Tenn, Kentucky, Vandy, etc. Had we chosen 2 conferences, I don't think I could've found a team to use. Starting with a power house would've sucked, but it would've sucked even worse to choose a low team and having to compete against a powerhouse (I'm sure GoGators knows what I'm talking about). I got lucky in the Pac12 because, even though I started with a :3stars: school, my league competition was 1 :4stars: school and 2 other :3stars: schools. The Pac12 was unquestionably the most balanced user conference. Northwestern has the right to complain as they started with a big disadvantage (the biggest) but Washington and Arizona have no right to complain because they started either even with me or 1 star below Stanford (although Stanford's starting squad was REALLY good too) so it's their own fault for not being able to keep pace.

With 2 conferences it would suck ass to know that, using the B1G as an example, your choices are to either use a 5 or 6* school that you'd hate ( GoGators mentioned hating the NU uniforms, but imagine if he had to use Iowa instead!) in order to compete with other users (and steamroll the CPU) or choose a lower team that you like more with the knowledge that you will probably never ever beat your powerhouse divisional opponents.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  21. PAgamer07

I see what youre saying and yes it makes sense. We are actually starting to see that happen now, at least in the big ten. You can always eliminate the championship game altogether... This is an option. You unfortunately have no control over who plays who.

22. jello1717

And you would never ever have a shot at winning a national title.

23. jello1717

I, and I think the majority of us, hate the idea of doing custom conferences that just don't make any sense.

• Like Like x 1
  24. PAgamer07

No, but you can move Minnesota to the same division.

Here is a link to rivals FYI. Granted its 2011, but I dont think much changed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ariz5WETeaOwdGNaSGhzT0F6Y09aQWNHbXpXOUZGWWc#gid=0

25. jello1717

Those "some guys" go by the names of Big Suge Knight and Big Suge Knight