Now that....

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Hova, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Every player on your roster has been recruited by you (or someone else) how do you feel about your team? What are some of your best "coaching staff grown" players? Some of the most upsetting? I think its pretty cool that we have gotten to that point to see how each coach recruits. (Obviously the bigger schools have an advantage with progression and pull)

Plus its a snow day today [​IMG]

2. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I am happy about it being a snow day. :)

Well... I really like my DE Mitchell, my CB Terry, and my QB Hicks... they've really turned into great players. I'm not all that happy with where the program is at right now, but it's getting better. The amount of walk-ons is bad and I overfilled at a few positions. So far, I've only been able to grab 1 five start in 3 seasons. A lot of my team is 3 stars right now... but in a couple years my team should be good if I have a few more good seasons. The most disappointing players might be Weber, he just misses his target all the time, and my receivers who haven't really progressed a whole lot.

I've got 3 5 stars I'm going for this season... I'd be content with one, happy with two, and ecstatic if I was able to get all 3.

3. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I didnt croot these guys but UCLA, at least so far, has played a lot better than they look on paper. I really like the RB and my top 2 WRs. Schroeder is good and Hurd is 6'6 with something like 95 speed!

4. Hova

My [​IMG] ATH Tariq Hill is now a 99 OVR Center

[​IMG]Charles Kidd is a FS, Senior now, he is a beast at 93 OVR

My HB Derek Parker is pretty crappy for a senior, Don't really like his style

My QB Kerry Stanley has turned out to be a beast at 95 OVR as a Junior. He has awesome speed and awareness.

My 2 WRs Nash and Lacey are both 99 OVR burners. I picked both of them up in year 2 and 3.

I'm stacked at Safety and Oline. My Dline and CBs are pretty weak at this point. I am looking to revamp my DLine for the rest of this dynasty, try to run some new schemes.

5. Hova

How about [​IMG]DE John Davis... now a 89 OVR Junior

6. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I post more later but there are a few guys I wanted to mention

Ashton Sykes (QB) - This is his first year as starter but he has looked good so far. He was recruited 3 seasons ago out of junior college so sadly this will be his last season.

Kyle Goss (HB) - Finally seems to be fitting into the offense and had a huge game against USC. He is a solid rusher on carries up the middle and has enough speed to break long runs outside.

Ryan Osterander (MLB) - Seems like he has been with Penn State forever, since he started as a true freshman. He is in his fourth and final season. Osterander has started every game of his college career.

Ryan Garrett (CB) - He was the top overall recruit a few seasons ago and it is finally starting to show. He has 2 interceptions in 2 games, including a pick six in the USC game. He also has a TD reception on the season, since he is playing on both sides.

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

QB Jamar Young - easily the highest rated recruit I've ever signed, started all 4 years. Sits at 99 overall after coming in at 80 overall

WR DeMarcus Bass - Has come into his own. Plays a key role in the Miami passing game

WR Blake Weber - Only a Junior and has already broken the Miami receiving record. Highly underated but the best :3stars: recruit of all time

HB Jason George - Started at FB for the first three years and did his job, now been moved up to HB and is exceeding all expectations

C Mike Preston - 95 overall and paves the wall for ball carriers

ROLB Adam Samuel - Came in at 84 Overall and has been on the field since he was a Freshie, he is now the backbone to our LB Core and sits at a nice 96 overall.

8. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

I love the way my offense is built. We have very high rated players at all the skill positions. QB Scott Jones was my first signing in year 1 and is now a 3 year starter at QB. He is 99over with 99 accuracy. Another player from that class is WR Victor Simpson. Simpson has size and speed and can make the spectacular catch from time to time. HB Kevin Lester is an every down back that can get the tough yards and catch the ball. I wish he was a little faster though. WR Eric Carter is a nice complement to Simpson and runs great routes over the middle. Our defense lost two of my stud players early to the draft last offseason. DE Bush and DT Randle made a great duo that was excellent at getting after the passer and was decent against the run. Now we are a little young on defense. I have not recruited very well in the secondary and feel that has cost us a few games over the years.

9. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

I am somewhat happy with my team this year. My first two seasons of recruiting were pretty weak, as @Ceewo invaded the state of Georgia and stole anyone worth a crap. I took a flier on some lower rated recruits to try to bring in some bodies, but they did not work out.

My top recruits and where they came from:

1. Starting RS Jr QB Zach Brown came in as the #15 overall QB recruit in the 2012 class from Theodore, AL. Due to an injury to starting QB Aaron Murray, he was pressed into action as a true freshman. He had a fairly successful season as a freshman and then had the opportunity to redshirt. Last season, as a Soph, he threw for more than 3,000 yards and 30+ TD. He is now a 92 overall.

2. Starting RS Jr HB Nick Cole was the #7 HB in the 2012 class from Powder Springs, GA. Cole did not have very good speed coming out of high school, but his power was excellent. He has worked on his speed and his amount of carries has increased steadily before taking over the starting HB duties this year.

3. Starting Sr WR Matt Tyson was the #6 WR recruit in the 2012 class from Leesburg, FL. Tyson came into the Georgia program with an overall ranking of about 70, but has caught balls in all 4 years, without the benefit of a redshirt season. Tyson was part of an effective combo with #22 WR recruit John Edwards, before Edwards decided to go pro.

4. Starting RS Jr RT Kevin Murray came in as the #28 overall T recruit in 2012 from Birmingham, AL. He has made great strides every year and will leave Georgia as a 3-year starter with an overall ranking of 90+.

5. Starting RS Sr DE Andre Kelly from Ocala, FL was the #3 DE from the class of 2011. Kelly has turned into a beast, with an overall ranking of 99 this season. Kelly has started for the past 3 seasons.

6. Starting LG Matt Malone from Haines City, FL was the #11 T from the class of 2011. Malone redshirted his first year, but has started every game since. He came in rated in the low 70s overall, but is currently 92.

Disappointments

I am disappointed with my ability to recruit CBs and LBs. Every year feels like a scramble trying to bring people into those spots. It is difficult to compete with the upper tier teams if you cannot cover anyone or shed a block. On offense, my line has been weak, except for this season. I do have some depth this year, so it won't be a huge dropoff next season.

10. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

Georgia was a valuable pipeline that first couple years. I actually lost it as a pipeline last year, but now have it back. Im hoping to pull some prime talent out of there again and have already got a :5stars: Athlete and am hoping for more [​IMG]

11. Hova

Interesting, alot of talent down south

12. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

A little more information on Penn State and some of our players:

QB Ashton Sykes - RS SR 99 OVR
    29-53 5 TD/2 INT
    Not putting up big stats but has completed some big time passes. More importantly he is 3-0 as a starter, including wins over USC and LSU

HB Kyle Goss - SR 99
    58 carries 389 8 TD; 3 receptions 50 yards
    He has been a beast this season and is the main reason for wins over USC and LSU. Looking forward to seeing the rest of his games this year.

RG Antonio Caldwell - RS SR 99; LG Antonio Clay - RS SR 97; LT T.J Harris RS JR 97; RT Josh Little RS SR 93; Lawrence Richard RS-SO 91
    This unit has really come together and is the greatest strength of this team. Goss better keep these guys happy, because without these guys his stats wouldn't be nearly as good.

DT Lee Broussard - SR 99
    11 tackles 7 tackles for loss 2 sacks 1 interception
    Broussard was a 3 year starter at defensive end before moving inside to defensive tackle. He has turned into an unstoppable force in the middle of the defense.

MLB Ryan Osterander - SR 96
    10 tackles 2 tackles for loss 1 fumble forced
    A four year starter for Penn State and the leader of this defense. He has not put up big numbers early in the season but he will end up in top 3 for PSU in tackles.

CB Curtis Garrett - SR 96
    5 tackles 2 interceptions 1 defensive TD; 3 receptions 82 yards 1 TD
    Not only did Garrett move from free safety to corner, he is also playing in spread formations on offense. Garrett is the best athlete on the squad and can make plays with his legs. He also has been a shutdown corner, including a huge pick six in USC game.

SS Javan Jacques - SR 95
    14 tackles 1 fumble forced
    He considered leaving early last season but elected to come back for one more chance at a championship. He is a solid tackler with good athleticism. He can also make interceptions, as demonstrated by his 4 picks last season.

If you look at the players above, 4 of the players share a common connection. Goss, Garrett, Broussard and Osterander were all :5stars: recruits from the class of 2011-2012. Jacques also came from that same class, as did T.J Harris and Adam Walker. The 2010-2011 class also has a few members remaining, including 2/5 of the starting offensive line. A few recent recruits have been contributing, including junior college transfers like Sykes and starting DT Chris Bryant.

13. Hova

Most of my talent is from Cali obviously but I do have some weird standouts.

Two of my best wideouts are from New York (Alvarez) and WYOMING (Lacey)

Stanley and Nash are from Cali along with the majority of everyone else, I have a few Texas standouts.

A strong DT from Tennessee (Prater) and also Greg Fields from PA who may never see the field but it a decent backup QB that has great speed.

14. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I have 23 players rated 90 or higher. Of those players, here is state by state break down
    Pennsylvania - 6 (Broussard, Harris, Ostrander)
    Ohio - 3 (Goss, Bryant)
    Maryland - 3 (Caldwell)
    Illinois - 2 (Clay)
    Michigan - 1
    Indiana - 1 (Walker)
    West Virginia - 1 (Garrett)
    New York - 1 (Richard)
    Connecticut - 1
    Deleware - 1 (Sykes)
    New Hampshire - 1
    Missouri - 1 (Little)
    Texas - 1 (Jacques)

Players in ( ) are ones I talked about above, a few of the 90+ players are reserves. Looking at the breakdown, aside from a few outliers like Texas, most of my players are from midwest or northeast states. I did get a pipeline in Texas this past season so I may be extending my reach this season.

15. Hova

What are everyones pipelines?

I had CA, AZ, and TX

Now I just have Texas and California, not really interested in anymore... Can't really maintain them yearly

16. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Not sure what I started with...

I currently have Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Texas.

Is there a quick way to see how many players I have on my roster from any given state? It'd be nice to know if I'm close to getting a pipeline somewhere.

17. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Oregon

Offense
    QB- rsSR Brad Samuel 98ovr, he was my first QB recruit and has been sitting patiently on the bench until his senior year to start. Putting up great numbers in the air and on the ground, continueing the dual threat QB tradition at Oregon

LG- SR Brandon Johnson 99ovr, 3 year starter

C- SR Curtis Wright 96ovr, 2 year starter

WR- rsJR Ian Smith 91ovr, highlight of the year has to be his 97yd TD rec against Iowa

Defense
    DT- rsSR Earnest Davis 99ovr, I think he might be a 4 year starter

DE- rsSR Isaiah Taylor 97ovr, 4 year starter

MLB- rsSR Myron Strong 95ovr, 2 year starter

18. abolishthefed

There is some good team analysis going on here.

For pipelines, I started with Georgia and Florida. I currently have Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina and North Carolina.

Analyzing the states my starters come from:

QB Brown AL
    HB Cole GA
    FB Taylor OH
    WR Tyson FL, Smith FL
    TE Meadows MS
    LT Allen GA
    LG Malone FL
    C Ellis SC
    RG Arnold FL
    RT Murray AL

DE Kelly FL, Holley GA
    NT Horner NC
    OLB Miller NC, Carter GA
    ILB Butler AL, Walker TN
    CB Robinson GA, Jackson FL
    S Flanagan MS, Davis (transfer from UF)
    K/P Washington KY

19. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I have pipelines in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Texas, Maryland and probably a few others. I don't know if I still have the pipelines from Virginia and Michigan, but those 2 were pretty good. I also was close to pipelines in Georgia and Florida, but never could seal the deal.

20. Hova

Damn, you keep all those every year? How many recruits do you need to pull yearly to keep them?

21. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Every player on your roster has been recruited by you (or someone else) how do you feel about your team?
    With the exception of the crappy recruiting years where I somehow let my O-line get paper thin I like my team but realize that I need more speed and explosive playmakers.​

What are some of your best "coaching staff grown" players?
    HB Courtney Stewart was a player I took in last year's incoming class b/c I had a bunch of scholarships open and despite how little time I spent on him he kept me at the top of his list. He is going to be a solid runner for me but I need O-lineman.​
    DE Jordan Evan is solid and has been since day one. He is perhaps my best player currently on the field.​
    MLB Robert Smith is a converted DE playing MLB b/c my MLB recruiting sucks also. He is not the fastest but can pursue and bring it upon arrival. He may be going back to DE next season unless I decide to go 3-4.​

Some of the most upsetting?
    The most upsetting area of my team is that I failed to stock up on the key positions early to allow me to make the switch to a more traditional offense after Gardner left. that I allowed CA to be lost as a pipeline going into this season.​

22. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    You can always export your roster and sort the Home State column.

• Like Like x 1
  23. abolishthefed

I seem to pick up one per year. You need four people in a state for a new pipeline. I will probably lose Mississippi this year, but I may gain Tennessee.