Oakland A's a creative destruction...

Discussion in 'Team News' started by OMlawdog, Mar 26, 2014.

1. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Less than a year ago, OMlawdog took over running the Oakland franchise. Since then a lot has changed.

His first major decision was trading team Ace Gabriel to Philly for Jim Morgan, Allan Fox and Henry Whitfield. The fans hated the deal as Gabriel had been a true leader for Oakland, but due to his 11.5 million salary, the trade was necessary.

Since the trade, Whitfield has simply kept progressing. He is now a 1.5/4.0 player with 70/80 HR and 9 speed, while having elite defense in RF. He had an ok season in AA, putting up .236 Ba with a .317 OBP. He did slug .456, and have a 27 Hrs, 82 RBI and 18 stolen bases. It is likely he will start next season in AAA and might have a September call up in his future.

The other piece of the trade was Allen Fox, at the time a 2.0/3.0 1B that wasn't doing much in the Phillies system. After getting traded, Fox has progressed to a 4.0/4.0 player with HR that is now up to 70/70, to go along with 70/70 eye. His contact has gone up to 55/55, and is finally starting to put it together. He his .283 in August with 5 HR's and 13 RBI. Hoping he has a breakout season next year.

Morgan is probably going to end up in the pen, though he has some potential still.

The other big trade for Oakland was trading Song Ju, their solid 1B. This was purely a trade to shred the contract of Ju to make way for Fox. Jue was due to make 68 Million over the next 4 years. For the fiscally conservative A's, this was simply too much to take on, due to the fact that his production simply wasn't there to start the season.

In return the A's picked up Walt Buckley a guy with lots of potential, but some concerns. Im not convinced he will be a player, but he is only 19 years old, so we have a long time to figure it out.

The strength of the A's roster is their young pitching. That strength started to show its teeth in the last third of the season when Jose Gonzalez put up a 7-9 records with a 2.85 ERA striking out 100 in 132 innings. He has a lot of potential, and looks to be the ace of next year's Pitching staff;

Joining him next year looks to be Santiago Hernandez, who had a monster year in AAA going 15-4 in only 26 starts, with a terrific 2.06 ERA. He continued that great pitching in Oakland going 3-1 in 6 starts with a 2.79 ERA. He needs to work on the walks, but overall his future appears very bright.

Finally, Walt Lee had a nice season in AAA going 16-6 with a 3.16 ERA and 188 K's. He struggled in Oakland, but showed he could be dominant with a 7 inning shutout performance against Minnesota. Depending on how he does in Spring Training, Lee could be with the big team next year, or he could use a few more AAA starts under his belt before he goes to the big leagues.

The other minor leagues guys that had nice seasons and progressions are:

Jeckel Wimmer -SP - This 19 year old kid had a solid season in A ball, where he went 8-11 with a 4.03 ERA. Not spectacular, but his control improved from a 30 to a 45 by the end of the season, and had a 2.55 ERA the last four months of the season. He now has 4.5 potential, and is starting to put it together. He will start next season in A ball, but expect a quick progression to AA if he starts out well.

Bill Crocker - CF - This former first rounder had a great year in AA hitting .313 and having a .914 OPS while playing multiple positions. It looks like he will start next year in AA since he only played there in 57 games, but look for him to progress quickly through the system. With his 60/65 contact he is someone that has a bat that projects on the MLB level.

Other players that may have a shot at making the major league club next year out of spring training are Bruce Kelly and Lewis Sidley. Sidley just destroyed AA pitching and was hot in AAA. Bruce Kelly threw up a .839 OPS in about 30 games in AAA and looks to be a guy that could make the MLB club as a 4th or 5th OF.

Two players that are a ways away from helping the big league club are Walt Buckley who I have already discussed and David Ennis. Ennis struggled in SA ball, only hitting .211 while still getting on base and stealing 25 bases in 69 games, he will need to keep working on his game to take advantage of his speed. He should start next year in A ball and hopefully he will be able to refine his game. He is still just 20 years old so he has some time.

• Like Like x 3
  2. OMlawdog

As I sit here at the movie theater watching Rio 2, I think it's a perfect time to update the minor league system for the A's.

The A's are still struggling to get to .500, but their appears to be some real talent starting to progress through the A's system.

Here is an update, with a top 10 ranking along with a sleeper and potential bust.

Top 10:

1) J. Keller - SP - A lot has been said about Keller and hopefully it will come to fruition. He is clearly an elite talent, hopefully he will be able to take all that talent and turn it into something special.

2) Henry Whitfield - RF - an extremely toolsy RF who has progressed to a potential four star RF, that has 70/80 power and elite defense and arm. Throw in 9 speed, and you have someone that could really thrive if he continues to improve.

3) Jeckel Wimmer -SP - a big time arm that has just been promoted to AA ball after putting up a sub 2.00 ERA in the first half of this season. He throws 98-100 consistently, and has been steadily progressing since I took over the franchise. He just turned 20 years old and could form a great 1-2 bunch with Keller.

4) David Ennis - CF - a prospect That took a few steps back out of the gate, but has started to progress, and has his contact up to 50 and eye up to 60 in his first full year in the minors. His ceiling is more than likely just a solid leadoff guy, but he could be more than just solid.

5) Cliff Peck - C - A guy who doesn't have big ratings, but his elite defensive skills have always been there and his bat should be able to translate to MLB.

6) Walt Lee - SP - a workhorse who has put up solid numbers in every level, is about to make the leap to MLB and hopefully will be a solid 4th/5th starter. Like most of the A starters, it will all come down to whether his control will progress. If it does, he should be good to really good.

7) Tim Humphrey - SP - A guy who has worked hard to make himself a legit prospect after a meager initial rating. Humphrey is the new number 1 starter for the Stockton A's, if he has a solid season, he could be starting next year in AA ball.

8) Walt Buckley - OF -a prospect that had big time ratings, but his eye has regressed to the point that his prospect potential has taken a hit. He will need to work hard to make it to the MLB. His contact and power are still elite potential, but he has to be considered on the decline.

9) Bob Collins - SP - a four pitch pitcher that has been solid this year and was elite last year in A ball. His overall rating is questionable, but you can't argue with the results.

10) Eric Miller/Todd Carlson - CL - two elite type closers, both of whom are hoping to be in the bullpen of the A's in a few years. I think both can fill a role for a MLB bullpen.

Overrated - Walt Buckley.

Underrated - Bob Collins.

3. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

cap tax.JPG

Leave it to a lawyer to miss the fine print :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. OMlawdog

Yeah, my owner won't be making 40 million this year. If this screws me next year then, shit. I thought it was a year to year deal.

I had 65 million for free agents and used it, lol.

5. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Don't think you're picking up what I'm putting down.

You spent roughly ~52 million on international free agents. That's 52+(52-3)= $101 million

6. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    Here is the real issue:

temp.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  7. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On