OC Blog

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Kasper, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Welcome to the OC West Blog! Here we are going to cover everything regarding the Orange Crush Western Conference which will consist of Boise State, Temple, Fresno State, Houston, SMU, Memphis, and San Diego State. All these teams are new additions to the conference and look to make a name for themselves in what should be a wide open race.

EDIT: With the recent decision to name the divisions Frontier and Colonial, the title has been changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Burning Questions for the Newbies

[​IMG] Boise State

1) Life after Kellen Moore and company?

I say and company because players like Shea McLellan and Doug Martin are off to the NFL, two top flight talents by any measurement; throw in the winningest QB in NCAA history in Moore and you have a big question mark. Junior Joe Southwick figures to be the starter come opening day and tailback DJ Harper has big play potential.

2) Is the defense ready?

Boise will have 9 new starters on defense; the only two returners are LB JC Percy and CB Jamar Taylor- both seniors. Juco transfer Demarcus Lawrence is a pass rushing demon who figures to secure a starting spot. The 6'4 250 lb sophomore to be chose Boise over Mississippi, Tennessee, K State, and South Florida- will he deliver for a defense that needs some play makers to emerge?

3) Are they ready for the big time?

The big knock against the Broncos recently has been their strength of schedule (or lack there of). However, that argument is about to be thrown out the door as they move to the Big East. This team didn't finish under 43 in any statistical team category, but we will see how those stats hold up vs better competition. Be ready Boise, the whole nation will be watching.[/spoiler]

[​IMG] Fresno State

1) Who will step up for the departed Jalen Saunders?

Saunders hauled in over 10 touchdowns last season for the Bulldogs, leaving most fans excited for what he could do next year. Next thing they knew, he was off to Oklahoma (because they need more receivers ya know..) They lose arguably their top two receivers in Saunders and Devon Wiley who is now in the NFL, so who will step up? Rashad Evans is next in line and should perform well, but keep an eye out for RS FR Davante Adams. The 6'2 200 pounder can get up and win jump balls, bringing some physicality to the receiving corps.

2) Is the defense ready for a turn around?

Having the 106th ranked scoring defense while playing in the WAC is never a good sign- especially for a team like Fresno who has typically shown they can play with BCS teams. Now, truth be told, some of that was due to the onslaught of injuries they suffered. The defense will return 8 starters, including all four linebackers in their 3-4 scheme so my guess is they have a massive turn around.

3) Will Derek Carr be the best QB in the division?

The door is wide open for David's brother, and many analysts are saying he is better then his older brother. At 6'3 he has prototypical size, and his arm is nearly everything a coach could want. If the offensive line can come out ready, he could have a special season. Also, add in a damn good running back in Robbie Rouse giving him a reliable running game.

[​IMG] Houston

1) Can Charles Sims continue to grow?

The Cougars only returning skill position is RB Charles Sims who racked up 821 total yards and 13 touchdowns catching and running the ball. Sims has All Conference potential, but will he get the touches necessary to put up substantial numbers? Coach Philstyle will bring a spread em out offense and likes to throw the ball around the yard. Look for Sims to have some big runs when he does get touches, regardless of how many he gets.

2) Will Deontay Greenberry live up to expectations?

Greenberry was a signing day surprise by any stretch of the phrase, switching from Notre Dame to Houston. It's not every day Houston steals a player from the schools like ND, so expectations are, well, expected. At 6'3 187, the freshman will bring an immediate deep threat for the Cougars. Will he play significant time right away though?

3) Oh yeah, what about that Keenum guy?

Gone is Case Keenum, for real this time, no 7th year of eligibility. In steps David Piland- however he isn't your typical redshirt sophomore. In 2010, Piland went from fourth string backup to 8 game starter due to injuries above him. A 2011 redshirt gave him another year of eligibility. I think the Cougars are more prepared at QB then people are giving them credit for, lets find out!

[​IMG] Memphis

1) Will the Tigers win a conference game?

No BS from this blogger, Memphis is heading for a rough 2012 campaign most likely. If the Tigers manage to win 2 conference games, they might as well have won the NCG (that big of an achievement). I think Memphis will beat Temple, but who else?

2) Can Jacob Karam grasp the offense?

Karam, a Texas Tech transfer, will be tasked with directing a young offense to success. With only one senior on the whole starting unit (LT Jordan Devey) Karam will need to establish himself as a leader from the get go.

3) Will the defense be able to stop a nose bleed?

Lets see here, 105th ranked scoring defense, 97th ranked rush D, 120th pass D, and 117th total D- rough numbers but the only way they can really go is up. Coach Kasper is known to be defensive minded, so I think they will improve on those numbers. LB's Kenyata Johnson and Akeem Davis will need to step up for Kasper if this team will turn any corners defensively.

[​IMG] San Diego State

1) Who fills in the void at QB and RB?

HB Ronnie Hillman (now a Denver Bronco and SDSU's 3rd career rusher) and QB Ryan Lindley (SDSU's career leading passer) are both gone, but one position is looking better than the other. Oregon State transfer Ryan Katz should fill in well at QB, but a committee of running backs look to fill the void left by Hillman. Sophomore Adam Muema looks to be the front man there.

2) Can Leon McFadden be a leader?

McFadden turned down a chance to bolt for the pros, leaving Aztec fans to rejoice across the country. He figures to be one of the best defensive backs in the conference, and one of the top defenders all around. However, he is the only senior on this unit with starting experience so he needs to grow as even more of a leader then he was last season.

3) Who will handle the K and P duties?

A fellow named Seamus McMorrow- yep, I'm serious.

[​IMG] SMU

1) Which Garrett Gilbert are the Mustang's getting?

Gilbert transfers in from Texas after struggling, and hopes to rebound. Longhorn fans were expecting huge things after he stepped in and filled in well against Alabama in the 2010 NCG after Colt McCoy went down. A handful of struggles later and Gilbert finds himself at SMU. If he can come out and be the Elite 11 QB he was coming out of high school, then SMU has to be the pick for the division.

2) Will Zach Line find a niche in the new offense?

It is well known that Coach Fuzzy prefers his speed backs, and with the move to more of a spread look fans are wondering where power runner Zach Line fits in? The 230 lb senior bruiser is a damn good running back, but you have to wonder if he will be able to do the same thing he was doing in the Run N Shoot.

3) Can the new regime build off the old ones success?

SMU is coming off 3 straight bowl seasons, but a sudden coaching change could throw a wrench into the streak. Add in tougher competition and we will see what happens. Regardless, this season hinges on Gilbert, no questions asked.

--------------------------------------

Hope you enjoyed the first installment Philstyle3005 , Fuzzy, dj illmatic 23 , Steamer43 , and bjbdahitman

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 8
  2. bjbdahitman

bjbdahitman Andy Reid to KC... Finally a real coach...

Nice work Kasper

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Thanks man, wanted to get it started on the right foot.

4. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

5. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Good job. Now I actually know something about the team I'll be using.

6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

5 Guys You Don't Know (That You Will By October)

Every season there are guys that come out of nowhere and surprise the nation. Sometimes they are guys everyone figured would start, but weren't superstars; other times they are guys that just plain come straight out of the blue. We're going to take a look at 5 guys that have superstar potential that you might not know yet.

1. DJ Harper - RB Boise State

Doug Martin is gone to the Tampa Bay Bucs- anytime you lose first round talent it is usually a big blow for a team. To quote the great Lee Corso, "not so fast my friends". Harper is a more explosive runner and has every bit the home run capability that Martin had. With uncertainty at QB, look for Boise to make it a point to develop a strong running attack early- and for Harper to be a house hold name by Week 5.

2. David Piland - QB Houston

This is just a perfect storm of upcoming talent and being in the right scheme. Combine the fact that Piland has started 8 games in his young career (sophomore), learning from Case Keenum, and new Coach Philstyle- well the result is a heaping pile of potential. Piland knows how to win games as well hailing from Texas powerhouse Southlake Carroll. Phil has been vocal about planning to throw the ball 85% of the time, so look if Piland and the Cougars are ready for the increased competition look for a Heisman campaign.

3. Darius Johnson - SMU

While only 5'11 (on a good day) I think Darius will be able to find a role in Coach Fuzzy's new offense. Although the coach usually prefers bigger physical receivers, I think he will get a lot of opportunities to make plays whether it be from the outside or working the slot. He has solid speed and great hands and is coming off a 79 catch, 1188 yards and 8 touchdown season. I don't foresee as many receptions, but the talent is there for an easy 1000 yard season with some big plays sprinkled in. SMU is likely going to be a top contender, so the exposure will be there as well.

4. Walter Kazee - RB San Diego State

Another mix of a good upcoming player in the right scheme- Kazee will get plenty of attempts. Coach DJ has stated that his offense is going to be a smashmouth style, and Walter fits the bill to do so. He runs much harder then his 5'9 175 lb frame would tell you and isn't afraid to take on defenders. I don't expect anything less than a 1000 yard and 10 TD season from this senior- it's his time.

5. Jerrell Rhodes - RB Memphis

If they are going to have anything more then a shitty year, he will be why. It will all depend on the offensive line, but I think he has potential to be a beacon of hope on a struggling team.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Setting the bar high for the East ;) lets go lesser division!

8. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

You're finally getting some excitement from me for this league. Don't worry, I'll get some stuff in. 3 weeks till the game comes out :D!

9. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Kasper I'm going to need a little clarification before I get going with this. Are we doing a 14-team conference with UConn and Temple in the Big East?

10. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

OC East Blog
    Welcome to the Orange Crush East Division Blog. The East Division is made up of 5 original Big East schools and 2 newcomers in Navy and Central Florida. This blog is expected to be much better than the west blog, although the name of this blog, Big East East Blog doesn't sound very good. Over the next 3 weeks before our season starts, we'll cover everything you need to know about the 6 usered schools.​

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  11. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Yes temple is the 7th in the west and uconn is an original big east member of course so had to keep them. I don't plan on giving any attention to temple since they aren't usered (and bad) - though I may occasionally. Up to you what you wanna do about uconn.

12. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Just call it the OC East blog you dork. Big east east blog is the silliest thing I've heard--- crazy east division folks.

13. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Kasper nice work man, PM me if you have any other ideas for articles on the West and I'll try and help out.

14. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Thanks man work is slow so I have some time.I was gonna let you kinda settle back in but if you want to help out start getting a feel for your team and I will do a piece on them--- currently interviewing your future arch rival!

15. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Coach: aarondramp
    Enrollment: 41,357
    Stadium: Nippert Stadium
    Stadium Capacity: 35,000
    Offensive Starters Returning: 5
    Defensive Starters Returning: 7
    2011 Record: 10-3 (5-2)

Cincinnati finished tied for the Big East with West Virginia and Louisville but will face the challenge of replacing 10 starters. They are a very tough team to judge with so many new faces, but they were good last year and still have some of the depth. Cincinnati could easily win the Big East, but since we don’t know much about them, they could just as easily go 5-7 or 6-6.

Offense
    Cincinnati loses QB Zach Collaros, HB Isaiah Pead, and WR DJ Woods. Those were 3 big time players, and replacing them won’t be easy in any sense but let’s take a look at the newcomers that are expected to make a difference:
    1. QB Munchie Legaux- This guy is fast, exciting, and can be very good at times. He played last season after Collaros got injured and showed he can be good, yet inconsistent. He averaged 13.6 yards per completion and 6.6 yards per carry on non-sack plays. His problem though, was his 47% completion percentage. You’re going to hear this guy’s name a lot. Maybe not because he’s good, but because it’s so fun to say.
    [​IMG]
    2. HB Jameel Poteat- Poteat will be battling against HB George Winn for the starting spot. Poteat only carried the ball 23 times last year as the #3 HB but has a lot of potential. He is a true sophomore and even if he does back up Winn, he should be something special by his junior and senior season.
    3. WR Kembrell Thompkins- He caught 31 passes for 390 yards in the final 6 games of last season as he finished strong. Thompkins will be playing along with Anthony McClung, who had almost 700 receiving yards last season.
    [​IMG]<---Thompkins
    What may an even bigger question mark on offense is the line. Cinci returns a combined 29 starts and lost 3 of their starting 5 from last season. If they want to have any running game, or to keep Munchie healthy, the new guys are going to have to step up. The main newcomer is Sam Longo, a transfer from Ohio State, who could be a quality lineman. If these guys can’t block, the team may rely on Munchie Legaux out of the pocket and we know he isn’t the most accurate passer.

Defense
    Cincinnati’s defense was terrible to start the 2011 season, but later on in the season, they really looked good and played aggressively. The Bearcats intercepted 16 passes and forced 20 fumbles last year and played great when forcing teams into passing situations. Cincinnati didn’t lose too many players on their 2-deep from 2011, but the players they did lose were the playmakers. They lost their 2 DT’s who combined for 14.5 tackles and their playmaker at MLB who had 3 picks and 3 forced fumbles. Replacing them will not be easy, but Cincinnati’s defense can still be solid. The secondary has improved from last year though as they return 3 of their 4 starters.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

17. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Coach: BPHusker
    Enrollment: 45,074
    Stadium: Raymond James Stadium
    Stadium Capacity: 65,857
    Offensive Starters Returning: 8
    Defensive Starters Returning: 7
    2011 Record: 5-7 (1-6)

Coming into 2011, USF was hot. They’d gone over .500 in 10 of 11 seasons and in 2007, they were ranked #2 in the nation (although they were an awful #2 team. I went to watch them when they were #2 at FAU and if it weren’t for some bogus calls, FAU, yes FAU, should have beaten them). But yeah anyways, they were a hot team and new coach Skip Holtz led them to another bowl game. Expectations were high in 2011, but hey this is the Big East and nobody knows what will happen. Well they went 5-7 and just 1-6 in conference. But this season, they return 16 starters and if they can not go 1-5 in 1 possession games, they’ll be right back on top of the division. Let’s not forget, USF went to South Bend, and beat Notre Dame on their way to a 4-0 start and a #16 ranking only to miss out on a bowl game.

Offense
    [​IMG]
    BJ Daniels is back…again. Daniels, out of Tallahassee, FL is back, now in his 5th year in South Florida. Daniels played 2 games as a true freshman, and started all but 3 games in his next 3 seasons, racking up over 6,000 passing yards and 38 TDs as well as over 1,600 rush yards and 20 rush TDs. Daniel’s, a dual-threat has been very good in his years at USF, but this year is his last and might be his best. He’ll be handing it off to Demetrius Murray, who rushed for 500+ last year and former Colorado transfer Darrell Scott. Sterling Griffin is a great receiver to have. At 6’0”, he has great hands. USF has a ton of inexperienced receivers behind him, but nobody knows which guys will step up, including converted HB Lindsey Lamar. USF’s line was good last year, but they lose 2 3-year starters. USF started the same 5 linemen every game last season, so the replacements for those 2 star linemen are relatively unknown.
    [​IMG]<---Sterling Griffin

Defense
    USF finished 24th in adjusted defense last year and returns 8 starters. They allowed a ton of big plays in 2011 because their secondary was inexperienced, but they seem poised to make improvements. USF returns just about everyone on their front 7, but the secondary is still a big question mark, especially when it seems many Big East teams will be passing the ball a lot more and the conference has added couple teams who are expected to air it out. USF hopes JUCO transfers Fidel Montgomery and Josh Brown will bring something new to the secondary, but if they don’t step up, watch out!

18. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Lovin the pictures Kapono

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Rutgers
    Coach: sawemoff
    Enrollment: 37,364
    Stadium: High Point Solutions Stadium
    Stadium Capacity: 52,454
    Offensive Starters Returning: 6
    Defensive Starters Returning: 8
    2011 Record: 9-4 (4-3)

Greg Schiano built up the Rutgers football program, but has now left to coach the Tampa Bay Bucs. We will see if the new coach can handle what Schiano built or if he can improve on what was done and turn the Scarlet Knights into a powerhouse. Last season, Rutgers won 9 games thanks to a stellar defense. They won 9 games last season, and we expect a similar output this year as they have an offense without and identity and a defense that can dominate most teams in the conference.

Offense
    Although Rutgers ran a pretty balanced attack, the offense was based on Mohammed Sanu last year. Sanu was targeted 176 times, 2nd most in the nation. Sanu is gone now and Rutgers is going to have to figure something out on offense because their offense was average at best last season. It seems as though all of Rutgers top receivers now are deep threats in Brandon Coleman, Mark Harrison, and Tim Wright. Those 3 had a combined average 18.3 yards per reception but caught only 46% of the passes coming their way. Rutgers has a new OC and that’s not an easy job this year. The QB position is still up for grabs, they have no #1 receiver, and the O-Line wasn’t very good last season. Oh yeah, and they lost 4 of the 5 starters on the line but they do have 5 players who have started a game before including Maryland transfer RJ Dill. But with the new guys, it’s tough to believe they can get any worse. Jawan Jamison and Savon Huggins will split time running the ball. These 2 didn’t do much last year, but that was thanks to the O-Line. As far as QB goes, the starter is unknown. Gary Nova had to take over and play 4 games as a true freshman last season. Both Nova and Chas Dodd played well in the spring game so we don’t know who we’ll see out there.
    [​IMG]
    Hopeful QB Chas Dodd holding the axe.

Defense
    Rutgers’s defense was spectacular last year and won them just about all of their 9 games. And they’re going to be a good unit again. The front 7 is extremely solid, returning the top 5 linebackers and 7 of their top 9 linemen. And the front 7 is getting even better with the addition of 5-star DE Darius Hamilton and 4-star LB Quanzell Lambert. OLB Khaseem Greene returns after winning Big East co-defensive POY last season. Greene did this (below) to his ankle in the Pinstripe Bowl last season but is expected to be 100%.
    [​IMG]
    The secondary was the strength of the team lat year and despite a couple changes, looks very good yet again. Duron Harmon will move from SS to FS but the SS spot will have little experience. Logan Ryan is great at corner and will look to improve on last season where he had 3 interceptions, 14 pass break-ups, 5.5 TFL, and 2 forced fumbles.
    [​IMG]<----Logan Ryan CB

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BPHusker

BPHusker Walk On

Looking good! :)

21. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I don't even want to think what google images will give you for a Navy pic :confused:

22. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

23. Hokie Effect

Kasper me like, me like. Just hoping we are not forced to see something more on the lines of the village people.....

24. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Haha those are all real pics of the players. It might not be easy to find pics like these of guys at the Naval Academy

25. Hokie Effect

What are you talking about Kasper posted pics of my starting QB and RB.

• Like Like x 1