OC State of the Union (READ & SIGN)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by fuzzyl0gic, Dec 29, 2011.

1. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

[​IMG]
    Alright guys, after a season of turmoil, Kasper has helped me review the rules and add some changes going forward. We have learned from our mistakes, and I feel like if everyone follows these guidelines, it should be smooth sailing from here on out. If counters are the basis of your run game, you're doing it wrong. They should be set up, and used sparingly. If your heavy audibling your WR routes and calling lots of steaks/verts and putting up unrealistic passing stats (3-4 times YPA than real college football), you're doing it wrong.​
    Being sim is much more than a given set of explicit rules. It's more of a philosophy. Don't do whatever it takes to win, take pride in strategy and realistic football playing. This isn't to call anyone out, I think this makes us stronger. Any new member that joins will be forced to read the rules. It will only take 5-10 minutes of your time. Please sign in this thread when you've read them.​
    P.S. If anyone violates any of these rules next season, that would be a good indication you didn't read them and you will get a swift boot to the ass right outta here. We're tightening the belt on OC and returning to purely sim roots.​
    @Kasper​
    Forum Handle Gamertag Team Conference and Divison Signed?
    fuzzyl0gic fuzzy10gic North Carolina ACC Coastal Yes
    JQwon13 JQwon13 Purdue B1G Leaders No
    Kasper TKasper Wake Forest ACC Atlantic Yes
    hornfaninbama BulgyTexas Nebraska B1G Legends No
    BPHusker BigPapaHusker Penn State B1G Leaders No
    Oshiomogho Oshiomogho Wisconsin B1G Leaders Yes
    CoachRedd CoachRedd Iowa B1G Legends Yes
    Philstyle3005 Philstyle3005 Michigan B1G Legends No
    -Cougars- DivisibleDuke Virginia ACC Coastal No

Autopilot Rules: Users must play their games and must recruit their players, not the CPU. Autopilot is not an alternative to showing up. However, people do go out of town, get sick etc etc and autopilot options may be discussed with fuzzyl0gic.

Vacation/Absence: You must ALWAYS let me know in advance. There will be a vacation thread solely for this purpose. If you do NOT let me know you MUST accept any consequences that come of this.

Option: If you run an option play, please be realistic and pitch the ball before any contact on your QB. If you don't follow this guideline, you will have a shit storm quickly brewing on your ass.

Advances: Advance times will be posted by the commissioner in the forums. There will be 2 days between advances when there are user games, and ideally 1 day for all CPU games. The only exception for an early advance is if all games and recruiting are finished sooner.

Scholarships:
    The amount of scholarships that can be offered at any given time will be dictated by the following formula:

A = number of seniors on your team that will graduate
    B = number of underclassmen that leave early (transfers and draft)
    C = number of walk-ons on your team. Walk-ons may be cut at any time.
    D = 70 - current amount of players currently on roster

A + B + C + D + 1 = total number of available scholarships.

Note: Committed players count against your scholarship limit. Also, additional scholarships may be earned through a league run User Pick 'Em game run during the season.

Recruiting Restrictions:
    - All teams may sign up to 3 :5stars: players

- Conference championship winners may sign 1 additional :5stars: player. This will be added to total for the following season.

- National championship winner may sign 1 additional :5stars: player. This will be added to total for the following season.

User Games: Make the effort on the boards to contact your opponent to schedule and play the game as soon as possible. If a reasonable effort to contact your opponent is not made before the day of advance, the game will be simulated or the user who did make an effort will be allowed to play the CPU. If in event of cheese or unsportsmanlike play, pause and tell the opponent what they are doing. If this play continues save a video, upload it to the net and I will deal with it accordingly. DO NOT start a war in the forums or you will be removed no questions asked.

Game Play Settings:
    Level: All-American
    Length: 8 minutes
    Sliders: Default
    Penalties: Default

Players Leaving: A player cannot be persuaded to stay if:
    • is > 90 OVR
    • is a JR or RS SO that has won a major award (Thorpe, Mackey, etc. EXCLUDING Ret of the year)
    Substitutions:Orange Crush expects users to keep their rosters together as they would be in real life. Keep players in their natural positions. If you have a question, post or contact the commissioner.

Position Changes (Offseason): Changes in position will only be allowed in the off-season. If a special situation comes up, contact your commissioner . All changes must be noted to the commissioner. Most importantly, size and speed must match up when moving a player to a new position. Follow these guidelines:

QB: No Restrictions
    RB: No Restrictions
    FB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 220 lbs
    Speed restriction < 88
    WR: No restrictions
    TE: Restricted
    Height restriction > 6'2''
    OL: No restrictions
    DT: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 245 lbs
    DE: Restricted
    Height restriction > 6'2''
    Weight restriction > 215 lbs
    Speed Restriction < 85
    OLB: Restricted
    MLB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 225 lbs
    DB: No restrictions
    RET: No Restrictions

Package substitutions: Are allowed and are not to be abused.

Game Play (General): Some keys to gameplay are:
    • Mix up your playcalling. All verticals are rarely used by teams in real life.
    • If you manually motion a player, that player must come to a stop before you can snap the ball. Also, you must wait for a trailing defender to "catch up" to the motion.
    • Counter run plays are to be used SPARINGLY and when set up.
    • 4-3 / 4-4 defensive sets should rarely be used to defend 4 WR sets in short yardage situations.
    • Try to limit audibles to formation audibles - hot routes should not be abused to take advantage of the cpu.
    Game Plan Settings:Game plan settings are often hard to police, so use these at your own digression, but use common sense (don't use aggressive pass d, unless your really behind late in the game, etc). Aggressive d-line is never allowed, except for goal-line situations.

Playcalling: You should be mixing your play calling all game, do not run out of the same formation on offense every play nor call the same 2-3 plays all game. On defense only 4-3 and 3-4 are allowed as base defense. If you are going to mix in 4-2-4 or 3-2-6 or one of these uncommon formations do not use them against small WR sets (example: 1-2 WRs.). They should only be used as pass defenses. Counters and tosses should NOT be your bread and butter running game. Counters should be set up, not a staple play.

QB Scrambling: You may not scramble or drop back over 10 yards unless defensive pressure has collapsed the pocket. Sprinting immediately to the sidelines for either passing or running (scrambling) is not allowed. You may not run a pass play and roam the field trying to exploit defensive A.I. flaws or drop back more than 10 yards to throw the ball or scramble. You may not sprint outside the pocket looking for a better angle on passes. At any time a QB should not be deeper more than 8 yards on an passing play. Dropping back while in shotgun should RARELY occur, and only be done if pressured and attempting to throw the ball away. (Cannot drop back excessively in the pocket to buy time to throw out of shotgun.)

Examples of unrealistic QB scrambling include:

1. Sprinting backwards and/or to the sidelines off the play action fake. Rolling out of the QB is allowed, however this should be done without sprinting. Faulty AI on the defense causes defenders to break coverage nearly as soon as a QB leaves the pocket while sprinting and as we all know, QB’s throw on the run far more effectively in this game then they should.
    2. Sprinting backwards during a normal dropback is prohibited.
    3. Sprinting to the sidelines on a normal pass play that is not designed to be a rollout pass should only occur if there is pressure from the defense or you have waited 2-3 seconds in the pocket and no receivers are open. On a designed rollout pass should not be done, a normal rollout should be performed using the non-sprint QB running. If a QB sprints from the pocket, you should run the ball, not sprint out to throw the ball.
    4. Calling a normal pass play and then immediately running with the QB is considered unrealistic QB scrambling. If you want to run the QB, call an option play.
    5. Multiple consecutive scrambles.

No Huddle: May be used to run two minute drill or when down by over 14 points in the fourth quarter ONLY.

4th Downs: Going for it on 4th can be used in appropriate/realistic situations. You not be going for any 4th downs in your own territory unless you are losing late (14 points or more in the 3rd, or down 7 points or more in 4th) OR if you call a fake punt. There are limitations, see the rule below. You may go for it on 4th down if you're just outside of your FG kicker's range and it wouldn't make sense to punt (ie 4th down on your opponent's 35 yard line, but your kicker can't make it).

Fake Punt/FGs: You are allowed one fake fg or fake punt per game. This does NOT mean you should perform a fake every game, but the option is there. Be realistic about it, don't call a fake punt if you're deep in your own territory. You may call any defensive formation you want if you suspect your opponent is calling a fake play.

Goal Line Formation: Keep it to real life situations. Short yardage (2 yards or less), red zone, deep in your own territory (Inside the 10 yard line), etc.

Disconnects: If you do happen to get a freeze or disconnect, immediately contact your user opponent via a message on XBL or headsets. It will be between the users to replay the game. Any special circumstances need to be brought to the attention of the commissioner. Post on the message boards as well, for clarification.

If your game disconnects, start a new one and pretend you're picking up right where you left off.

For instance, if you got disconnected in the third with 2 minutes left in the quarter, and it was a tied 14-14 game, upon starting a new game play exactly 10 minutes into it (2 minutes were left in the third + 8 minutes in the 4th = 10 remaining minutes.) Whoever is winning at the point (6 minutes remaining in the second is when it should end), will be declared the winner because the game was tied at the disconnect. If you were winning, add whatever amount you were winning by to your score in the new game and determine the winner. The winner will finish out the game against the CPU.

Restarts: Restarts against CPU opponents will not be tolerated. The game will most likely be tossed and simmed. It will be my judgement on the outcome. If you repeat offend this rule you will be hit with recruiting sanctions.

Restart Penalties:
    1st Offense - Game Tossed and Simmed, no exceptions
    2nd Offense - Game Tossed & Simmed, Recruiting Sanctions
    3rd Offense - Removal from league, you obviously did not understand after the first two times

The reason we do not let restarts slide is because anyone can lie and come up with any BS story. That was my weakness last time I was commish, not this time. It's the only way to be fair. Only if you have picture or video proof will I allow a restart.

Complaints about opponent's play: As Stated Above, I will say it again! No Public Battles in the forums! First pause the game and let your opponent know what rule they were breaking. Give them the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake. If it happens again, immediately contact fuzzy through private messages, and the offending user will be dealt with from there. Save game footage if necessary to show how your opponent was playing.

Notes on CPU games: Treat your CPU opponents with the same respect that you treat your user opponents. Blowouts happen, but there is a scoring cap of 70 points. If you go over the scoring cap, the game result will be thrown out and the game will be simmed. There is no exception to this rule. If you are up big in the 4th on the CPU, rest your star players and chew the clock. You will avoid injuries and even build up your sportsmanship rating (if you care). By playing younger players, you have the chance for them to gain in-season progression, and the chance that they progress well is also increased.

Winning Big: If you are winning by 21 or more points at anytime in the 4th quarter with 3 minutes remaining in the game it is expected you bring in the backups. Should your opponent make a comeback you may bring the starters back in (this is really only against the CPU, it's hard to put in backups against users).

Defensive Rules:
    • Moving Players Pre-Snap: On defense, shifting linebackers and the defensive line is permitted. However, if you move an individual defensive player before the snap you must control that player at the snap of the ball. This includes moving a player to cover an assignment. You may not pull any players off the line pre-snap on any non-punting plays.
    • Blitzing: While blitzing is certainly a part of the game, please be realistic when doing so, and do not use it excessively. Any attempt to confuse the AI when blitzing is prohibited (i.e. shifting your defensive line then shifting your LB’s to the A-Gap to confuse the O-Line AI).
    • Defensive Formations: Do not run Quarters, 1-1-5, or 3-2-6 as your base defense. These are acceptable on passing downs or when your opponent comes out in 4 or 5 WR sets but not every down. Goal line defense may only be used as follows: defending goal line offense, defensive situations inside your own 10 yard line, and on 3rd or 4th and less than 3.
    • Pressing, Showing Blitz, Line & Linebacker Shifts and Stunts: These must be varied and goes under "mixing up play calling" for defense. It is okay to run more than the other (AKA your corners have good PRESS ratings so you press about half the time) but running the same shifts, stunts, or coverage stunts all game is PROHIBITED. These must be mixed up. Also, having 9 in the box should be used when it situationally makes sense (aka 4th and 1, desperation run stop, etc.) and is not a base defensive look.
    • Base Defenses: 3-3-5 as a base defense is not allowed (unless out of nickel), neither is 1-5-5 or 3-2-6. The key here is to matchup defensively in accordance to your opponent's offensive situation and what the situation calls for. Lining up in 3-3-5 nickel on first and 10 in the 1st quarter when your opponent is running a 3 TE 1 WR look is cheese and not allowed. Running a 3-3-5 Nickel look against that same formation with 15 seconds left in the half is allowed. Just be smart. This doesn't mean because your opponent is successfully passing on your that the "situation calls for" you to run goaline because some glitchy defense within the formation stops the run.
    • Illegal Line Crashing: Crashing the line of scrimmage with a safety is banned. A safety's first step is never forward unless the play is a designed blitz. I'm not saying if you see a run take a step back and then attack, but quit trying to fly up and down with ur safety pre-snap like a heart-rate monitor trying to get lucky and crash the line and fuck with the AI. Backers are different, IRL they do step at the LOS. Do not do this every play, MIX IT UP.
    Forum Activity: Users should check the forums MULTIPLE times daily. Every member should contribute, this is a league based on members camaraderie -- participation makes it funner for everybody.

Required Contributions:
    1) Game Summaries - This doesn't have to be a play by play analysis of the game, but at least 5 or 6 sentences. Always include the final score as well.

2) Recruiting Updates - Let us know when you sign a recruit! Plain and simple!

3) Regular Forum Posts - If you see a discussion going on, add your opinion. Just please refrain at all costs from starting a flame war, so keep it civil. Everyone can take a little flak, just know when to pull back.

Three Strike Policy: Again, it is expected you will join in on the discussions going on and the Weekly Game Summaries. A BYE week does excuse you from your summary but does not excuse you from talking with the others. As you see below you will be given 3 chances, should you use them all, you will be removed.

1st Offense: Friendly PM asking you to join the discussions going on.
    2nd Offense: Another PM warning you that your forum content is down and should come up.
    3rd Offense: You will be removed and replaced with someone who wants to be an active part of Orange Crush.

Ways to Remove Strikes: Keep up with Game Summaries. Showing more effort in discussions. Posting extra content (i.e. Heisman Watch, Player of the Week, Game of the Week etc etc).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

Wait...so I cant go for it on on fourth down on my own 20? Fuck this league.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CoachRedd

Signed.

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

signed.. i wrote the fucking thing (copy and paste = write nowadays)

5. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

6. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

I just want to play football

signed

7. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

8. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

I'd like "excessive blitzing" to be explained. Cuz blitzing is a big part of my defense. Although I'm guessing I'm ok since I haven't had any complaints on here?

9. fuzzyl0gic

"More than is necessary, normal, or desirable; immoderate."

10. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

What about Bob Stoop like blitzes? Because once I build up this 3-4 I will be blitzing A LOT

11. fuzzyl0gic

*sigh*

At least we're fleshing this out now. I don't want to put a specific percentage, just don't blitz every damn play. I understand some schemes in real life call for a lot of blitzing, but not every play.

12. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Just use your head boys.. hell if I get blitzed a lot I'll send WR's right by your shitty safeties

13. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

14. BPHusker

BPHusker Walk On

15. fuzzyl0gic

16. CoachRedd

deal breaker. sorry.

17. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

18. sawemoff