Announcement Off-Season and Changes

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Masler, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

First off I will talk about some changes in the league and rules.

1) I will be dropping teams from each division in order to create more user games overall.

2) The designed QB runs have become a bit of a concern to me. With a scrambling QB I decided to try it out more this season and found a lot of success with it. But it felt extremely overpowered. As jello has mentioned the QB ALWAYS breaks the first tackle in the first couple moments of his animation. Since it would seem these are popular plays on 3rd down, I am banning the play on 3rd downs. I too am guilty of designed QB runs on 3rd down. It is way too overpowered and nearly always results in a 1st down. If you can't find more creative ways to get the 1st on 3rd down, you don't belong here. (Note: I am not singling anyone out because we are all guilty of this). You may still run an Option play though.

3) I would like to remind everyone we do not allow conservative or aggressive gameplans unless you are draining the clock in the final moments of the game.

That said.

When can we do this offseason? I am free Tuesday and Wednesday night around 8 or 9 each.

UofCWildcat
    jello1717
    blLL flo
    niuhuskie224
    Hokie Effect
    Todd Ramsey
    jay2149
    Coachmedicis
    bigrice25
    edge7771

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

You also wrote this earlier:
    If you drop even 1 team from either conference (not even per division, but per conference) there will be no CCG. For more conference games you'll need to do something like this:
    • Lose some teams from each conference (thus losing the CCG). If you do this then you should drop it down to no more than 10 teams, that way everyone in each conference will play every user in that conference. If you drop it down to 9 teams, then there's only 8 conference games (5 of which are against other users if there are 12 total users in the OD) which allows for 4 OOC games instead of 3.
    • Move us all to 1 conference, with or without a CCG.
    • Move everyone in a conference to the same division. (This will give us an automatic win against the CPU the CCG, but it'll have 4-6 users battling for the division title)
    If you're gonna ban designed QB runs, you should ban options too. QB wraps are more powerful than read options, but read options are easily more powerful than any other designed QB run (draws, blasts, zones, and powers).

3. jello1717

I'm good whenever.

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

I thought no one wanted the 1 conference deal? Advances would still be at 48 hours. At this point if someones misses a game I'm not going to yell at them, just that they put on Auto so people can play the game.

Yea I should probably ban all designed QB runs and Options on 3rd down. Just seems like nearly everyone does it, a lot on third down (myself included) and it's to the point where I can see it coming and still can't stop it because my initial defender bounces off Robo-QB

5. jello1717

I would like the 1 conference deal, but I think the consensus was to stay with 2. If we stay with 2, even though I and probably most others prefer a CCG, the only way to get more user games (which I do think the consensus prefers) is to take us down to 9 or 10 teams. In conference that would take everyone from ~2-4 user games to 5 user games. We should still be able to have as many OOC user games as we had before.

I would personally LOVE to see the ban on QB runs and options on 3rd downs.

6. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

1 conference/2 divisions (although I'm good with anything).

I think the ban on QB runs on 3rd down is silly. I wish draws were more effective, but often the TB gets stuck behind some big OL who never makes to the second level.

I can adapt to whatever, but to ban a certain play from a certain down is strange to me. IMO the defense should be prepared for anything.

Regarding off-season I'm good Tues or Wed.

7. jello1717

The can only interpret this statement (posted by a spread option guy) in only 1 of 2 ways.
    • Said user knows how stupidly overpowered the QB runs are in '13 and doesn't want his overpowered plays taken away.
    • Said user is somehow in denial and actually believes that the defense has a fair shot at stopping these plays (when in actuality these plays are extremely difficult to stop and VASTLY more difficult than stopping any other kind of run).
    I've run the spread option attack since NCAA '09 (and in ODs since '10) and it's always been entirely too weak compared to a pro style running game (but I ran the spread option anyway) until '13. But in '13 it's pretty retarded how overpowered it is and it should've been addressed earlier than now.

In '13 I try to limit my QB runs as it is already. My QB usually leads my team in carries, but this is only because I spread my HB carries out a LOT. Even though he'll lead me in carries he only gets between 1/3 and 1/4 of my team's carries. On the flip side, there are user teams in this OD whose QBs get more than half of their team's carries which I find really, really retarded.

8. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I'm free both nights.

9. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

Said user acknowledges that those plays are somewhat overpowered. However, if it's a issue why stop at third down? Ban it every down. While we are banning overpowered items let's ban "man 2 under"? How about banning curls?

My 2 cents is if it is not an exploit, or glitch, let it be and the onus is on the defense to stop.

10. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

With most everyone going to this type of offense and now saying how powerful all these types of plays are I don't see why we can't use the game plan for option. It was put their for a reason to let you choose who to play. Now we're at a point of us banning plays on certian downs when in reality it's the whole scheme.

11. jello1717

That'll only work on speed options which aren't overpowered at all and are really hit or miss (almost always "miss" against a 3-4). On speed options, if you tell your team to stop the QB, they'll stop him. On read options, it doesn't work and they won't focus on the QB. The D will still mostly flow towards the HB all the time.

12. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I am all for anything that will give us more user games.

As for the ban in plays I will agree with the masses.

Off season, unfortunately i will probably again trust the cpu. I promise after I get the moving thing done I will have of a heart beat....

13. Coachmedicis

Coachmedicis Walk On

Wednesday night would be best for me.

14. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Wednesday would be best for me as well.

15. Masler

Masler Moderator

Wednesday 8pm EST start time good for everyone?

I know Hokie Effect and UofCWildcat won't be able to make it (I can do one of yours from The Wire if you want).

I will advance to Week 1 of Recruiting tonight so we can get all set up and the offseason won't drag on.

bamagrad - you never got back to me the other day, you want TCU or...?

16. Masler

Masler Moderator

The reason I find it an issue is that everyone, myself included, will fail on a 3rd down. Next drive the designed QB run pops up on 3rd and long, as stated above, in the first couple moments of the animation the QB is untouchable and the majority of the time finds himself with a first down or more because the defense does not react to a QB scramble immediately (not that they should but their reaction time to scrambles are ridiculously slow). The reason I don't ban it on 1st or 2nd downs is because you still have time on those downs, you can still gain the 1st without much pressure. Like I said above, if it is truly a major issue that you can't use a designed QB run on 3rd down (Read Option included), you don't belong here. And this goes for all of you, don't go calling a play and stand there until you think you have done enough to be warranted a "scramble away from the pressure."

I don't know a whole lot of people that use 2 Man Under, it isn't nearly as effective in NCAA as it is in Madden (just my opinion). I do run a lot of man but I make sure not to call 2 Man Under more than I should (I used to call it quite often and used to get creamed...some of you will remember my first season as 99 ovr Alabama). I think passing is overpowered overall, each play type has some overpowering element.

17. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

I can do Wednesday.

As for QB runs on 3rd down I disagree with any sort of limitation. I am not going to sit there and take a sack if all my guys are covered. However, I will refrain from any designated QB runs if that is the rule..

18. jello1717

You're banning designed QB runs and options on 3rd down, but this makes it sound like you're talking about a passing play where the QB scrambles. You're not banning that are you? There's no issue with the QB being untackleable on a scramble. It's only during the mesh and first step of designed runs and options.

19. Masler

Masler Moderator

No no. I mean don't purposely try to scramble on a passing play just for the sake of rushing with the QB. If you have no one open or the pressure is on, take off.

20. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

Masler

When you going to week 1?

21. Masler

Masler Moderator

I did say if you have no one open or are being pressure to run. I just don't want to see anymore designed QB runs or options on third down.

22. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

That's fine. No worries. I think I'll just hang around little by little anyway. Maybe play user games and do my best to make CPU games but those give me ZERO enjoyment anymore.

23. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

Don't like it, but it's the same for everyone so that is fair.

Looking forward to 2021!

24. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

Masler

One last thing on this and I will shut-up. Can we at least say if it's 3rd-4 or less you can use designed QB runs?

My understanding of your "heartburn" was people calling them when it was more obvious passing situations.

25. jello1717

If we do this, I'd rather its for all 3rd downs so I don't need to get out a spreadsheet to know when I can and can't run with my QB.

FWIW I don't recall anyone ever calling a read option on 3rd and long so your change wouldn't change anything at all.