Off-topic: What are your favorite all-time video games

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Dru50, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Got this idea from the TSO podcast, and thought it would be an interesting time-waster for us (we seem to love those). Post up your 5 favorite video games ever, no need to rank them in order.

For me, the list would go as follows:
    • NHL 94 - The game that taught me the fun of checking the shit outta guys after a goal. I used to use the Blackhawks against my buddies who would use the Kings, and every time Gretzky scored I would be after him like a headhunter with Roenick. The joy of seeing Gretzky laying bleeding on the ice, injured after a score, caused much fighting in my college house back in the day.
    • NBA2k11 - I had never played the 2k series before last year, but this game was flat out the most fun I've ever had playing a sports game, offline or online. Just a great game all-around with fantastic graphics, sound and gameplay. I was constantly amazed by some of the little things, like when a player would sometimes fall out of bounds over a cameraman, and then have to get up and hurdle the guy to get back into the play.
    • Batman Arkham Asylum - The best comic book video game ever made. They nailed pretty much everything on this, from the look, to the voice acting to the feel of what makes the Dark Knight the Dark Knight. I'm a huge comic book guy going way back, and I can't even tell you how stoked I am for Arkham City to come out.
    • Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - This strategy game before the days of the RTS games was something that I killed hours with playing with my brother in law. We'd fire up a random map, and play until 2 or 3 in the morning while downing brews and eating bad food. Good times.....
    • Baldur's Gate II - This PC game was pretty much the closest thing to a video game version of D&D that has ever been done. Other games since have had better graphics, but no game has had the background game mechanics and storyline nailed like this one did. When you find out who the bad guy really is way at the end of the game it was a legit shocker. The fact that you could play as multiple classes, and even multi-class (which had never been done in a video game), plus the combination of 10 NPC's that would impact your parties in different ways based on which 5 you included made the replay value of this game off the charts.
    What games are on your lists?

2. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Shogun: Total War : My first time playing the Total War series and I literally forsake friends and family for about a month as I would play through campaign after campaign after campaign whenever I had a spare moment outside of middle school. The epicness of controlling a 1600 person army and conquering japan was mind blowing for me.

Starcraft:Brood Wars: Probably the first game I played online, me and best friend would race home, and hop on and play online and against each other from about 3pm to 11pm every day without fail, only stopping for dinner or bathroom breaks.

Madden/NCAA Series: Been playing these since PS1, they always have a special place in my heart because these are the games I would play with my uncles, cousins and my dad. Anytime there was a bbq you could find all the men locked up in the backroom playing Madden.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion: Just a great game all around, total freedom. I actually just picked it up again the other day to hold me over until Skyrim.

Empire Earth: Another RTS that i was really fond of. Great campaign modes and it was always fun to play online. Nothing like advancing to the gunpowder age before your opponent and overrunning their roman swordsman with your WW! Doughboys.

3. Darr27z

Darr27z The Scroolest

CPU: The Total War Series. It combined everything that was great about Civilizations (town management and turn based) and everything that was great about RTS games into a single epic franchise. I have owned every installment and plan to until it stops making them.

360: Oblivion: The most visually stunning xbox 360 game I have played and it was one of the first games created. I can not wait for the sequel this November it is going to be amazing.

Mass Effect- Another great RPG game that blended the line between RPG and first person shooter. The second game only took off from where the first game left off and the third promises to put this triquel in the legends of gaming.​

Dragon Age- The second installment of this game was not at the same level of the first one but it was still great. it felt more like a bridge to the final game than a game by itself.​

Call of Duty (Activision only)- Trearch is crap. The online and story of Call of Duty had me hooked on 360 since the Kar 98 in Call of Duty 2. So much fun to play online with a group of friends.​

PS3: MLB The Show- I bought my PS3 solely for this game and it did not disappoint. As an avid baseball fan I have been clamoring for a baseball series to make me want to play video game baseball. MLB 2k failed so horribly I dropped 300 bucks on a PS3 and have never looked back,

4. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

Final Fantasy Tactics (the original one, on PS1)

Mass Effect 1 and 2

Oblivion (And probably Skyrim)

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

UFC Undisputed

Warcraft 3

Diablo 2

Dragon Age (and to a lesser extent, it's sequel)

5. Dru50

The mass effect games are very good. I will pretty much buy any RPG put out by Bioware, nobody does them better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

I'm the same way. Been dominating the genre since Baldur's Gate & Neverwinter Nights. Two more games I could have mentioned.

7. Darr27z

Darr27z The Scroolest

Make that a third. Bioware is amazing. Best RPG maker for the counsel player in my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

I should have also mentioned Fallout 3 from Bethesda, which I loved as much as any other game I've ever played, as well as Fable 2 and 3, which were both great.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dru50

The 2nd neverwinter nights would probably be 6th on my list. Great game, especially with the expansions.

10. Darr27z

Darr27z The Scroolest

Agree. I should have put down the Fallout Series but I had so many RPG series down that it just slipped my mind, nice catch.

11. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

Bethesda is definitely a close second to Bioware for RPG goodness. I've spent more time in Tamriel and post apocalyptic D.C, than pretty much anywhere else in video games.

12. Darr27z

Darr27z The Scroolest

Oh the Capitol Wasteland. How many hours I have spent traversing thee? Not enough I say.

• Like Like x 1
  13. sreese

sreese Walk On

14. sreese

sreese Walk On

not sure how i did that or how to fix it sorry it looks so jacked up.

15. Darr27z

Darr27z The Scroolest

You some how typed your things inside the HTML for the quote of dru, if you edit it and move your type outside of that it should look normal. At least from the looks of it that is what happened.

16. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Damn stop biting on Dru's post dude :p jk

Trust me , round' here that ain't even close to the worst post ever Colemanchu hahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  17. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

damn that was quick, get back to work dru and stop deleting my shit.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Hahahhahahaha, sorry for being a troublemaker Dru50 , assuming Cole did what I think here

19. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Are you assuming that cole posted a picture of his dog again?

That is what i am assuming

20. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

you'll get it once a month. and only when i know dru is active and in the forums. it's like catching a leprechaun.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Dru50

22. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

23. Dru50

Is playing with your dogs joystick one of your favorite video games? Pretty sure they'll kick you out of Arizona for that behavior....you'd have to go live with Papa Perry or smlVICTORIES53 where that type of behavior is accepted.

24. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

Borderlands was good. Looking forward to the sequel.

25. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Sorry I have been busy

Probably the top game: Super Tecmo Bowl-this is the game with the unbelievable fast Bo Jackson, and all NFL teams, not the first one where they had like 10 teams. It had the complete schedule, and tracked stats. The common phrase heard was "I play for stats." My buddies and I played this game all the time, what took the game up a notch was during basketball season, when we had to share the gym with the girls. When we had the evening practice, we would be at my buddy's house just down the street and we would play the game till practice started. We were generally the Raiders, Seahawks, and Broncos. When I was on defense I simply called the Bo Jackson sweep that was really the only way to stop Bo Jackson.

Another favorite of mine in college was Killer Instinct, there were several fighting games back in the day, but this was the game I played. Myself and my dorm neighbor played this game non stopped it seemed this game came down to who blocked the best

As for other games, I am not sure nothing truly stands out