Offensive Styles: One Back Offense

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Shino45, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Offensive Styles: One Back Offense

http://ncaafootball.easports.com/blog.action?blogId=OneBackOffense

Anthony White here and I'm back with another blog in our offensive styles series. In our previous offensive styles blog we focused on the new additions we've made to the shotgun spread offense, namely the read option play. We also touched on the fact that the term 'spread offense' is an umbrella term that encompasses a number of offensive systems. One of those offensive systems is the one back offense. The one back offense is an offense that's primarily run from under center with only one back in the backfield. This offensive approach can be used in a variety of ways. The offense can use multiple receiver sets to spread the defense to throw the football (Memphis, UTEP) or use two tight ends to establish a physical power running game (Alabama, Idaho). The one back offense, in many circles, is often thought of as the original spread offense and rightfully so.

The modern day one back offense was originally started in California at the high school level. At that time it was used primarily as a pass first offense. After years of success at that level it wasn't long before the offense caught the eyes of college coaches and made its way to the collegiate level at schools like San Jose State, Idaho, Wyoming, and Washington State. However, the one back offense gained national notoriety in the late 80's and early 90's at the University of Miami. The Hurricanes during this time period won two National Championships (1989 and 1991) while using the one back offense which featured three wide receivers, one tight end, and one back (Figure 1). With the success Miami was having with the offense other schools around the country began adopting the system and of course began putting their own unique spin on the offense.

Figure 1.
    [​IMG]

One Back Offense Philosophy
    Like the spread offense, a big point of emphasis for the one back offense is to control the number of defenders a defense can deploy to the box. As mentioned earlier, the one back offense is considered by many as the original spread offense. Many of the core principles of both systems are similar. As we pointed out with the spread offense, one back teams also want to use multiple receiver sets to spread the defense out. If the defense doesn't cover/align across from each receiver, the offense must be willing to throw the ball at any given point. This idea is known as "Throwing Uncovered". An offense that's willing to throw to an uncovered receiver at any given point on the field will force the defense to cover/align across from the offensive receivers.

The offense with multiple receivers on the field can effectively pass against a defense who decides to load up against the running game as well as run against a defense whose primary focus is stopping the pass. Having an extra receiver on the field instead of a fullback often times puts the defense in the mindset of pass. However, the extra receiver being spread outside of the box forces the defense to align a defender across from him. This removal of a defensive player from the box essentially achieves the same thing as having a fullback block that same player from a two back alignment (Figures 2 and 3). Therefore an offensive team can execute any running play from a one back set as it can from a two back set.

Figure 2.
    [​IMG]
    Figure 3.
    [​IMG]

New One Back Formations
    The following one back sets are new to NCAA Football 11. These sets can be found in a variety of playbooks which was done based on our research of each team's offense.

Ace Jumbo Z
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stay tuned for next week's offensive style...

2. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

As I have said elsewhere: I hope this isn't it for the week. I expect something else tomorrow. This was the first time I was left with that "uh" feeling after a blog this season. Just nothing. A couple of new formation looks, but they didn't even show all of those. 2 weeks from E3 EA, give us more!

3. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with this one. I'm a big one-back guy, and this just didn't do anything for me.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Agreed, what the hell was that.

5. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I really think EA has set us all up. They quickly give us parts 1 & 2 to recruiting, and tell us part 3 will tie it all together. Now we are all waiting for part 3, checking all NCAA news waiting on the blog. Now since they reeled us in they can feed us whatever news and crap they want since they know we're looking for recruiting news. I hope I am wrong, if not EA marketing employees are getting a kick out of this.... Or maybe they are saving it for E3? They might not have too many more major announcements or improvements left.

6. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

That update was pretty weak. No video or anything...Instead they give us a history lesson, a few lame pictures, and a couple new formations.

(n)

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    The demo is out a week from Monday...that will tell me more than these updates.

8. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

:rolleyes:

9. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I don't like the looks of this.

10. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

Eh. That "rolling eyes" could mean several things.

A) "I know something you don't know." (Which... he probably does.)

B) This is about it, and you guys are going to be super disappointed.

I'm hoping for A, but it's entirely possible that it's B. I think the release of the Demo will be pretty much the end of the outflow of new features as they're going to advertise all of them.

I'm still expecting a few of the features listed on the Marketing Survey they sent out before.

[​IMG]

You'll notice: the vast majority of the features listed have already cropped up in either Madden or NCAA. The first is called Game Flow in Madden, and I'm pretty sure that includes the headset Coaching playcalls. Locomotion has already been announced, as have the Spread and No Huddle spread (which may be the only real "styles of play" updates we see, leaving me a bit bummed about the One-Back, Balanced, and Pistol formations that I like to use so much.) The "Authentic Styles of Play" is the "120 Ways to Win" feature, and I'm fairly sure that the "last minute changes" bit is included underneath the No Huddle banner. The team entrances have been announced, as has the ESPN Style TV
    presentation.

As possibilities for NCAA, that leaves us with:
    • the possibility of Game Flow being in NCAA (which, since that's the major upgrade for Madden, I doubt is included)
    • Coaching-emphasized features (Real coaches; coaching carousels) that I hope to god are included,
    • AD Mode (which would be a very nice addition as I could upgrade my team's stadium in Dynasty)
    • the new QB camera angle (which they'll probably mess up)

I'm thinking the major upgrade they're holding back is the set of Coaching Emphasized features, but they may hold that off for next year. That's something I've been waiting for a while now, so I certainly hope not, but I think that it's a major feature that could be the "back of box" highlight were it not for the "120 Ways to Win" feature.

I think AD mode will probably be included as an upgrade for Teambuilder.

I'm anticipating some news about Road to Glory. RTG sucked last year because of the inability of the coach to playcall at all, so I avoided it like the plague. I really liked the way it was set up on the PS2, so if it was a return to that, I wouldn't mind the feature returning.

That's a pretty lengthy prediction, but I totally see some of this happening. They wouldn't have dumped all the features out there too early, as it's poor marketing, and if there's anything we know about EA Sports, they're monsters at creating hype at the right times.

Overall, I'm thinking we'll hear some big news around the time the Demo comes out or E3.

11. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I like trying to guess the school playbooks based on the player numbers in the pictures above. I felt I got a decent amount of the spread ones, but this one back one has me stumped. I don't think I can guess any of these. Anybody else?

12. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I thought I was the only loser doing that(y)

And by looking at that survey again I think all of that is in this year's game... because some of the things they added couldn't of been top 3. That entire list is my guess ATM, please let me be right

13. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

The Locomotion, ESPN, and 120 ways to win were probably all in the top 3. I'm fearing AD mode is getting left out, and I'm not too hurt if Game Flow and the camera angles get kicked to the curb. I don't know how I feel about Game Flow yet, because the computer's already terrible at playcalling (going for a fake punt on 4th and 20 at their own 40).