OFFL Beer Thread

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Basis4aDay56, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

OFFL Beer Thread

Well, since JHeb hijacked our scheduling thread by asking a bunch of alcoholic video gamers about beer, I figured I would give us our own place to become thirsty.

I would have to say that the beers I drink most are IPA's. More specifically, Dogfish Head 90 Minute. It is 9% ABV, and I love it. Drink two, you are merry. Drink four and you are drunk. Drink six and you are dead. Drink eight and you won't remember the last four.

I live in a somewhat small town in Northern NJ, and we only have like 4 bars. I most often am at the Cloverleaf Tavern, which has sooooo many awesome beers on tap and in bottle. They also have two "beer appreciation" programs, the MBA and PhD to be more specific. MBA = Masters of Beer Appreciation. PhD = Professor of Hops and Draughts. Here is the list of beers required to complete the MBA: http://www.cloverleaftavern.com/beer2.shtml

Still workin on the PhD, I'll graduate after the winter seasonals are finished.

BTW, when I told my parents that I received my MBA they were thrilled for a quick second before they remembered that I was still an undergrad ;) Best part of the MBA is definitely getting 20 oz. draughts instead of 12. Best part of the PhD? That 20 oz. becomes a deuce-deuce!

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Favorite Fall Seasonals:

- Dogfish Head Punkin Ale
    - Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout
    - Saranac Pumpkin
    - Any of the Paulaner, Weihenstephaner, or Hacker-Pschorr festbiers are phenomenal as well

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I love beer, though I have drastically cut my consumption.

The Dogfish Head IPA is great, though I bought a twelve pack one time and downed them...trust me that is NOT a smart move. Anyway, my favorites beers tend to be Hefeweizen. I like a good IPA if I am in the mood for a hoppy taste.

But I can drink pretty much anything, from the Beast to BPR to Bud Light.

There is a neat little store in the town to my west that has virtually every import or specialty beer imaginable, and you can mix and match singles. Unfortunately they are closing in November.=( Damn you Wal-mart.

4. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

So, if you guys had to put together a Top 10 list of beers that you had to drink for the rest of your lives, what would it look like?

5. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

BTW, I would LOVE to be able to mix-n-match beer singles so I could try out 6 or 12 at a time...I recall there being places like that on the east coast when I was in the Navy but none around here in Oklahoma as far as I know.

6. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Funny thread. I want to see that top list. Maybe separated by type of beer (pale ale, stout, etc.)

7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I prefer darker beers myself but growing up in Wisconsin you learn to not be to picky. First beer I ever drank was a piss warm can of Hamm's, and my old roommates used to keep the fridge stocked with PBR.
    Nowadays I've been drinking a lot of Caguama. Its a beer frome el salvador that costs only 15 dollars a 30 pack and tastes pretty damn good.
    I like to brew some beer myself but unfortunately its hard to keep a good temperature for fermentation during the Phoenix summer so my cupboards are currently full of empty bottles. The high is only in the 90's today though so I should be back up and running sooner rather than later.

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I hate the stuff. I was stationed in Europe for 5 years (1 of those in Germany) and the beer over there wasn't bad, but I've never really liked the taste of beer.

9. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Would we all agree that beer in general is an acquired taste? Did anyone here have their first beer and say to themselves, "Damn, that's some good stuff!" ?? I know I didn't. Drank it at first to fit in with a peer group but then grew to love the stuff...Now, nothing's better than that first long swig of an ice cold beer. Esp. for me b/c I barely drink at all now. Maybe a 12 pack per year.

10. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

My list would be a mix of Canadian and international fare - pretty wide range depending on the mood of the day. Of the top of my head, it would include:

Kokanee Gold
    Ricard's Red
    Sleeman's Pale Ale
    Alexander Keith's
    Boddingtons
    Heineken
    Corona
    Stella Artois
    Singha

Normally only drink the stuff when I'm eating out.

11. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

A top 10 list would be near impossible for me because I have tried so many awesome awesome beers. Almost all of them would be IPA's or Imperial style (jacked up alcohol content by long fermentation and more hops).

I can drink anything but Busch Light without complaining. As long as it is cold, I can deal. Some of the better beers actually get better when they warm up, though.

12. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Just saw Shaun's post about Sunset Wheat in the scheduling thread, so I figured I would post my response here:

DUDE the Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is AWESOME! Tastes like fruit loops! That is a bi-weekly pickup for me.

13. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Though I get picked on for liking it so much...apparently it is a girl beer.:)

14. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Of all the beers listed so far, I have heard of maybe 5 of them!

15. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

My wife loves it. Seriously. ;)

I love hefeweizens, not as crazy about witbiers/belgian whites. They definitely taste like fruit loops or fruity pebbles. I've read St. Bernardus makes a really good one.

16. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Impossible to give a ranked top 10, as each beer has it's own time and place. But are some of my favorites, roughly listed from lighter to darker:

-One of Weihenstephaner/Paulaner/Schneider Hefeweizen
    -Three Floyd's Alpha King (American Pale Ale) - If I had to pick one beer to drink for the rest of my life this would be it.
    -Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (American PA)
    -Bell's Two Hearted Ale (American IPA)
    -Odell IPA (American IPA)
    -Big Sky Brewing Co Moose Drool (not sure exactly what the style is, some kind of dark ale)
    -New Belgium 1554 (Belgian Dark) - Better known as the brewery that makes Fat Tire.
    -Guiness Draught (Irish Stout) - Beer connoisseurs might thumb their noses at this one, but for me it's a great session beer. Despite it's appearance and general reputation, this is probably one of the "lightest" beers on this list).
    -Founders Breakfast Stout (Imperial Stout)
    -Founders Curmudgeon (Old Ale)
    -Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (Imperial Stout) - 13% ABV. This will knock you on your ass.

I'll enjoy Budweiser, etc at a baseball game as much as anyone, but they're not in my fridge unless we have people over. If I had to throw an American Lager on the list, I'd go north of the border and pick Molson Canadian.

17. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Theres this really crappy resteraunt here in Phoenix called the Yard House. The food and service tend to suck but they have something like 110 beers on tap. Their barrell room has glass walls so you can just sit there and drool at all the beautiful keggers. I like to go their and try a couple new ones and always a few of my favorites. Used to have a list saved on my old phone of the ones i like, maybe I'll dig it out.

18. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

We have a Yard House nearby also. It's usually packed, and I agree the food isn't anything special. Lots of good beer on tap though.

19. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I know Kokanee is a Canadian lager, I actually used to drink it quite a bit. Don't think I've ever had Gold though. Guessing the next 3 are Canuck beers as well? Singha? That must be Canadian too. ;)

I like Boddingtons and Stella.

You got something against Yankee beer?

20. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I didnt realize it was a nationwide chain, explains the mediocre food though. They still have got to make bank because the place is packed every time I go around there.

21. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Singha's a Thai beer - good with spring rolls. Not much reason to pick up Yankee beer, but I do like Miller Genuine.

And I'll be the first to admit it - Bud Light Lime is good now and then.

22. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Okay, having been influenced by this beer thread, I stopped by the liquor store today and picked up some brews for tomorrow...Here is what I got:

6-pack of Sapparo--I really liked it the time or two I've had it, so...

6-pack of Choc Beer--Local brew...Got a variety pack.

1 big ass bottle of Hacker-Pschorr and 1 big ass bottle of Weihenstephaner...

Thoughts? I may crack a Sapparo tonight but will save the rest for tomorrow...

23. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

You are going to get drunk, and you are going to LOVE it! :D

24. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Well, I won't be drinking them all tomorrow but wondered about the the last two I listed...

25. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

The last two are both really good wheat beers. Did you get the Oktoberfest versions, or the standard? You'll know if they are Oktoberfest style if it says that or "Fest Bier" on it. You cannot go wrong with either style by any means.