OFFL (possibly) Expanding

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Archie Griffin, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

OFFL (possibly) Expanding

[​IMG]
    Hey folks,

Our current setup features a one team/one coach format. Four teams per conference, three conferences per league:

OFFL East = SEC, ACC, Big East
    OFFL West = Big 10, Pac 10, Big 12

Our desired expansion would look like this:

OFFL Mid-Major - MWC, C-USA, WAC
    OFFL Small School - Sun Belt, MAC, Independents (minus Notre Dame, of course)

When openings come up, the coaching carousel begins. Mid-Majors and Small School coaches may apply for openings, and move into larger programs, or they can stay and get a lifetime contract at their alma mater, if they choose. The idea is to add the coaching carousel to the game, letting the new guys start low and work up, and promoting from within rather than simply taking a new guy as Alabama or something like that. The guys already in place are the lucky ones. They have earned their spots by being here as long as they have. The guys who will flood us in the near future will have to work their way up.

This thing will start from scratch, so I would need commishes who wouldn't mind staying a while in the mid majors and small schools (local people, former students, etc) I'm a MAC grad myself, but I already run a league.

Anyway, I thought I'd see what kind of interest might be out there. Reply here or shoot me a message and I'll get a list going. If we get enough interest, we'll choose a commish and launch the thing.

Thanks guys,

AG

Oh, and don't forget to check out the new site. Ryno's the man :D

2. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I'm definitely interested in this. Small schools like this are ones that really interest me because it's so much more fun to start from the bottom and work your way up.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The idea is to try to connect all the leagues in some way. Coaching changes give guys a reason to keep up, at least in some small way, with what's going on in other leagues. I think it could be fun, if we can get it up and running, but new leagues mean all new guys, since we can only have one team each. Keep an eye on this thread - if interest ramps up after release, we'll get it running. Schedules that run concurrently would be ideal - that way changes could take place off-season, just like the real thing.

4. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

interested

Yo im interested in this.

GT: KnightnBattle10
    Knightrains@aol.com
    Prefer team: Florida State

5. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

But you wouldn't be playing Florida State. We'd be playing in the MAC, CUSA, or WAC or something like that.

6. SpreadOption

SpreadOption Walk On

Im interested-sign me up with BYU...and if BYU is taken then I will gladly take Army

7. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

that's not really how things work...

If they do start up these types of dynasties at some point...you will be notified if you are in...and then there be a team selection process from there

8. SpreadOption

SpreadOption Walk On

Well i saw this at utopia so i asked archiegriffin about it and he said to just sign up and provide a team if possible and they will let my know. So thats what i did.

9. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

gotcha..

10. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Archie,

This gave me an interesting idea for the league once it gets rolling. We should look into coaches being dropped at big schools who dont improve or just bomb a few seasons.

11. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Absolutely. Could make the pressure of being with the big boys that much more.

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I thought about this, but I'm not sure I want a great deal of pressure, and I wouldn't want anyone to be removed from their favorite team - don't think that would go over well. However, if we start low and move up, everything's positive.

It's definitely a sim experience, but perhaps more of one than some of the guys would want. I still want to be the place where the casual gamer can have fun without having to worry about keeping pace with the guys who really play a lot.

It's an interesting idea, though - just hard to implement.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Actually, throwing out teams is fine with me. But we're just forming right now. No one has any claim yet, but knowing who's a fan of what team never hurts.

14. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

True. It would be one of those things where everyone would have to be on the same page and agree. As you said, someone who lives or dies Ohio State whould lose interest if asked to step down. However, I was just thinking of a coaches career stand point. Just thought I would throw that out there. This could make for a breakoff league in the future where its designed for players who seek a realistic coaching career...Could be fun. Everyone starts out at a small 1 or 2 star school and works there way up

If you need help running any leagues, give me a shout. I would be glad to assist.

15. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I'd look to move the GHOD over to the OFFL Mid-Majors...Maybe make the Mid-Majors the OFFL South then make the other non-BCS conferences the OFFL North, to keep with continuity.

Thoughts?

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Interesting. Geographically speaking, North and South might not exactly describe the conferences being played. The east and West don't do this either, but they're close. We could go with a "Non-BCS" or "BCS Busters" heading, whether it's an OFFL title or a GHOD one, or divide it further using the Mid-Majors and Small School headings if we branch out into two leagues. If we stay with one, though, perhaps "Non-BCS" or something similar might work. We could slot the forums in just under the East and West, and above the E-League and TB forums,so it could be nice and orderly for new players.

But then again, if the East and West don't really describe their leagues geographically, or at least don't so so accurately, North and South might work just fine. And there would still be continuity, like you said.

This just might work.

AG

17. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Whichever they end up being called (I'd go with OFFL Mid-Major), I think the GHOD league would be an outstanding addition to the OFFL.

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Good opportunity for an intro -

Raz runs our Teambuilder dynasty, and he also whips up a nice sig here and there. Hey raz, check out the small edit I did to it. What do you think of the bulldog image in the bottom-left?

AG

19. Razcalking1978

Nice - I was also considering adding team names just above the OFFL letters.

EDIT: Like so.

20. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Looks good. What font is it?

21. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I'd potentially be interested in this myself. Although, since I'm a new kid (if you can say that at 36), I'm more than willing to sit it out to show I play sim in the other league I'm in here if need be.

22. Razcalking1978

Rockwell Bold. I'm in the process of adding them to all the sigs, should be quick. I'll even get your little dog, too. Bwahahahaha!

23. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Things are still forming, but I bet there's going to be room. Once we get the details worked out, we'll be looking for interest. Should move quickly.

24. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I'd definitely be interested Archie, I know I'm still a bit of an unknown commodity around here (outside of Helli, JMS, Rhude, Juggs, etc. from MM), I do coach high school football for a living though so you can be I'm no cheese, stubborn maybe, cheese no :D. All in all though this sunds absolutely awesome. I love the prospect of being able to earn the right to move up in the coaching tree.

25. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Good to hear. We'll keep you in mind and be in touch when things are a little more set.