Offseason Position Changes

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Dannyboy0003, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

Offseason Position Changes

I just wanted to throw this out there and see what everyone thinks...considering that we all play with non BCS conference schools, some of the size restrictions seem high. I don't have a problem with the speed restrictions at all but 240lbs seems high for a defensive end with some of our teams (same goes for DT, OLB, MLB, etc). I hope I'm not speaking out of line but I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

2. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

so you are wanting to decrease our weight restrictions?

3. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

Well I really just wanted to throw it out there to see what everyone thinks. I personally do think they should be lowered a little. I mean if you think that we are all at smaller programs, that is often how those teams build programs. TCU has made a living over the past decade of taking running backs not good enough to go to Texas or A&M and turning them into linebackers. I don't want to get to where we have cbs playing de or anything but I think they could be a little smaller.

4. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

Too add, I would propose maybe a minimum weight threshold of 220 for des, 215 for tes, 210 for lbs, and 250 for dts. Let me know what you guys think.

5. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

ill be sure to throw it around during the committee meeting.

6. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

Great! Thanks! I mean if nobody likes it, no biggie, just thought it would be a good topic to discuss.

7. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Orakpo is going to be a starting OLB next year at 212lbs. The weight thing matters more this year, because of game physics. If your DT's are too light, they will get blown out of there by the OL. The weight minimums are a suggestion for certain things. Like not moving a FS to MLB because he rates reasonably well.

Mike

8. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

I hear what you're saying. And it does come down to a risk/reward thing for each coach. A great example though is a safety that you sign as a frosh that has a high 70s speed rating. He may be (depending on his size) a better fit at an outside linebacker spot. I wouldn't move a good linebacker to defensive end based on him rating out well at the new position but rather that he maybe doesn't have the speed to play linebacker. I don't think an entire overhaul of the parameters is needed (and I think the speed limitations are fine), just throwing our the idea of a minor adjustment to what we already have in place.

9. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

And I agree with your thoughts. I know it looks to be a hard #, but I have made the decision to move a guy based on the fact that his skill set is better suited for a different position and he is close to the guidelines. It has only ever been a circumstance where the weight was the questioning factor, never the height or speed. Plus I also base my decision off of how many guys that year came in at the position at the same weight. I have seen many MLB's and OLB's come in sub-200lbs out of recruiting classes.

Mike

10. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

Exactly! That is exactly what I'm saying. A linebacker that has better pass rushing skills than coverage or tackling would be a clear choice at DE in a 4-3 scheme. I agree with what you said completely. I just don't want to be penalized if I move someone that is just out of the parameters. I wouldn't move a corner to linebacker or something. Speed is not my concern, it's depth, and matching skill set with position.