Offseason Recruits

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by DatNDaz, Sep 21, 2009.

1. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Offseason Recruits

Here are the 5 new offseason recruits who are Bonus recruits and don't count against the 1-7 limits:

#1 Bo White DT (Juco)
    #42 Austin Hill CB
    #100 Leon Babcock DT
    #201 Matt Harris T
    #258 Jarrod Miller MLB

Guys, the original intent here was to grab 2 Five Star guys and 3 Fours. Unfortunately, the guy who would normally be in the #31 slot (the 4th 5* added), ended up as #29. As a result, the next guy is #42 (Hill) and he is a 4*.

The #29 guy is the #1 WR, and his top 5 is this:
    -Michigan
    -ND
    -Nebraska
    -Ohio State
    -Oklahoma

Florida and FSU are in the top 10.

I stand to benefit from including this guy instead of #42, so I don't want to give an opinion. The rule stated was we'd take a guy from the 30's, and if one wasn't there, the next best guy. So in this case #42. However, I didn't anticipate the number pattern being broken before we got out of the 5*'s so that we wouldn't get 2 5* bonus guys. This WR (Daniel Tillman) would create an offseason recruiting frenzy.

So, what do you guys want to do? Include him instead of Hill? In addition to Hill? Or stick with the guidelines we set a couple weeks ago. I think it's mostly up to the guys who don't have a shot at Tillman.

REMEMBER:
    -NO CUTS
    -NO PROMISES

2. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I say we just stick with what we said we'd do...No need to alter it in Year One b/c then it could create issues in Yr2, Yr3, etc.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Nice! I'm #1 on one of the new :5stars: HBs and he looks good too!

Too bad I can't recruit him since I already signed my 1 normal :5stars: guy.

4. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

How do you know that already??

5. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Bump, please read above

6. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I edited my original response in Post #2...

7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Lets stick with what we decided before. No need to change it up now.

8. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Oh and none of these fools wants to play for Miami.

9. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

How are you guys getting this info?

10. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

From the recruiting screen inside the OD

11. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Huh? I show us as still being in the "transfer requests" part of the off-season...

WTF?

12. jello1717

The same exact thing happened to me in my UNC OD. I was stuck on Players leaving for 3 days until it finally showed us at week 2 of recruiting so I got completely screwed out of 1 week of recruiting and thus, couldn't sign any new offseason guys.

Today the same thing happened in this OD. The only reason I knew we were on recruiting was because of these forums and AG saying in his message that the #1 guy was a JUCO. If not for those, I wouldn't have known.

Reloading didn't work for me. I had to delete my OD file from my hard drive and then download the new one and it shows recruiting now.

13. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Yeah, okay, I'll try that too b/c reloading isn't working for me either...

14. jello1717

I was soooo pissed when my UNC dynasty skipped to week 2. I had joined that dynasty during week 12 and I had signed 5/22 guys at the end of regular season so I was in dire need of offseason recruiting and I got screwed because of it.

15. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

So wait, Dat, the #29 guy IS open?? This totally hosed me! I'll make do without any more griping than right here and now, but I am penalized for doing my recruiting right as we advanced. Here's the deal, I lost almost my entire receiving corps, and desperately need VIABLE options to start at the position. I even posted about that guy in another thread and him being off limits.

Now, I'm out of time for the week. Also I'm screwed that I couldn't talk anyone back, or that I couldn't (I didn't think I could based on what you wrote in the other thread) go after position needs that drastically due to our bonus system. This really blows.

-----

That's all I'll say about it. Still pretty high off the title win, my first in any OD, and we are stacked anyway so maybe this will bring about some competitive advantage. It will probably be better for the league in the long run.

I'll be okay, I promise ;) :D

16. jello1717

Okay. I'm going to wait to recruit until I get some clarification from Dat on the bonus guys. I would love to go after the #29 guy as he'd be a great fit for my system and he has me as #1 on his list.

Out of curiosity though, what's wrong with the #31 guy? Is he not a new guy? He has no offers and doesn't have anyone higher than yellow interest so he seems like a new recruit to me.

Also, why did you pick the #258 guy instead of #251? #251 also seems to be a bonus guy. I'm not in the top 10 of #31 or #251 and #258 is a MLB (a position where I went from 3 returners to 1) and I'm actually the #1 school on both the #29 guy and the #258 guy (I already put #258 on my board because I'm in such dire need of MLBs) so I would have the most to gain out of choosing these guys.

I stand to benefit the most out of setting #29 and #258 as bonuses, but I'm still going to give my opinion. :D I'd love to have those 2 guys as bonuses. I just don't see why you didn't choose #31 and #251 like you originally said a while back.

17. jello1717

So I'm guessing that your system is that the 1st, xth, yth, zth new people are bonuses and that's how you came up with #42 and #258. I would think that if we just chose the new guys that are closest to the numbers you posted a while back (#1, 31, 101, 201, 251) as that seems easier. By my count, that would be #1, 31, 100, 201, 251.

But I'll just go ahead and throw in my vote for #29 and #258. I agree that #29 would cause a recruiting frenzy (which is what we're trying to get with bonus guys) and I would LOVE to have a shot at him (of course, almost none of us could recruit him otherwise as we've hit our normal :5stars: limit).

I vote for #29 (the #1 receiver).

Did I mention that I like your idea to make the #29 guy a bonus recruit?

18. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I vote screw the bonus recruits in the offseason, atleast until next year. :)

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

A while ago, when this all began, I said we needed a final say. Now, we are seeing why we need that final say. Dat is that final say. There will be no voting.

Dat, call it.

By the way, I dumped an hour and a scholly on the #29 guy, then removed him from my list when I thought he was off limits. I didn't want him to sign (even if it would be a fluke thing) and then have to explain how I got him. So, I'm out as much, if not more, than anyone else. I say we make a call, any call, and move on.

20. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

LOL! sucks for you guys. none of these guys have interest in me but if they did I would still say we go with Daz's original post.
    One last question, can I recruit the other add on guys or not. I didnt expect my backup center to transfer and now there are no good ones left.

21. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Haha, I called the #29 guy and he said "Everything they say about you is true!" after about 3 minutes.

22. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Alright guys, we'll stick with #42 as the bonus guy. If you want to sign #29, he'll cost you your 5* slot. Consider the 1st post in this thread final.

Jello, the way they add these offseason recruits is a little strange. They're added in increments of 10 usually, but somehow they get off at various points. The guy who would normally be in the #31 spot (the WR we both want) ended up #29. The next new guy was #42. The guys you mentioned don't have offers and look like they could be bonus recruits, but I checked against my saved regular season file and those guys were both already there.

I'll probably change it up slightly next year. I'm thinking instead of targeting #1 and #30-39, we'll just go with the 1st new 5* added, and the 4th. Then we stick with #100+, 200+, 250+.

23. jello1717

Okay. It sucks that we only have 1 new :5stars: bonus guy, but I filled out my target list before you finished with the bonus list and #42 and #258 were both on my list so I get to go after 2 new bonus guys. :D

24. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I know. The frustrating thing is that we could have adapted if we didn't already know who he was interested in. I think everyone would have been on board with making the #1 WR a bonus guy rather than the #8 CB, but once you see he's not interested in your school (like Cole) you obviously don't want him included. And I'm not saying Cole's wrong, I totally understand where he's coming from.

Oh well, lesson learned. Next year we'll be sure to have 2 5*'s.

It will be interesting to see if that #1 WR (Tillman) gets signed. 6 of his top 10 are users, and I'm guessing none of us have a 5* scholly left to use on him. Maybe someone like CU or Wisconsin can sneak onto his list and steal him. Or maybe he goes to Nebraska to terrorize Hitman and JHeb. I just hope someone signs him.

25. jello1717

The bonus recruits you chose are actually better for me. As I said, I already put #42 and #258 on my list before I even knew they were bonus guys. Now I've already signed one of them:thingnana: so I'm happy.