Offseason Rules - Putting it All Together

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Offseason Rules - Putting it All Together

Just wanted to get everything lumped together so we aren't as confused.

Trading in Season 2:

Trades are limited to 4 trades per team per year, with a maximum of 4 players involved in each trade. A team that exceeds this total will have future trades negated.

Free Agency:

After player progression, teams take their top 10 offensive and top 10 defensive players overall and get an average number. They then have to cut 3 players above the average and 3 players below the average. However, each team gets 3 restricted free agent tags and 1 franchise tag. The franchise tag makes one player untouchable - he is back on the roster. The three restricted tags give the team originally holding the player the right to match an offer by another team in free agency. If they choose not to, the player goes to the bidding team.

There are a few things I do want to ask, though, about free agency:

1. If we cut someone who we signed as a free agent as part of this offseason process, do we still get a cap hit? I don't think we should, but I'm all for majority rule.

2. Are we going to have a separate listing for restricted free agents and regular free agents? Will get real confusing real fast. Think how bad IR was at first. ;)

Input from those that have voted to make sure I got it right, and info for those that weren't around during the voting process. We still have time to make tweaks if necessary!

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

to answer #1 for me - i say you always take a cap hit for the one year of whatever his overall is worth. this has to be a rule imo so that players have to actually think about their offseason and if they go crazy they will have to pay for it.

to answer #2 for me - thats a good question. I am all for figuring out whats best. I think we could put up a sticky thread listing who is restricted. This is gonna be a tough process on us board members, but there are enough of us in here that are active that can make sure it goes well.

3. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I can make a chart that lists all of the teams and what players they have restricted if you guys want. I figured out the coding for the site and how to past tables so it would look pretty organized. As a team restricts the players I can update the chart.

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I think that is fabulous. Nate where did you find this guy? Web is awesome!

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Silly thing: Are we gonna do top 10 on both sides of the ball together, or separately? The way it's worded, it looks separately, with separate tags on both sides of the ball.

Let me know if I need to explain further.

6. natedawg212000

its separated up until they hand out tags. they dont get 1 franchise tag for o and d, they just get 1 period. follow me?

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Yeah, I follow you. But then that means we cut 6 players on offense and defense? I was under the impression we cut 6 players total.

8. natedawg212000

6 total, but 3 on offense 3 on defense (which if i am not mistaken is what the rule states). they have to figure their number for offense and their number for defense.

9. natedawg212000

wait wait wait... your right bobby. i remember now we decided to just say they have to cut 3 above and 3 below, and they can decide weather or not offense or defense. if i am a defensive team then ill choose to keep my d players and let my o walk. that way its up to the owners.

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, so it's top ten on both sides, and you just cut 6 of any combination of O or D then. That makes sense and I remember you talking about it. Just make sure it's clear in the thread then and reads right I guess.

11. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I think that we should keep it 3 above and 3 below total. Not make it 3 on each side of the ball. Getting 6 players from each team in to FA is a good number IMO. If I release a player to FA..am I allowed to bid on them with everyone or are they off limits to me? For example, lets say that I release Ben Grubbs. I really didnt want to but had to in order to keep other players I liked more. Am I allowed to still bid on Grubbs?

12. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

As far as I understand it, yes. I don't think there is a rule that prohibits you from bidding on your own players after cutting them.

13. natedawg212000

correct, they are a fa can the team releasing the player is more than welcomed to send a contract offer.

14. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Are Punters and Kickers involved in figuring the top 10 overall average? Kicker on offense and Punter for defense? This is gonna skew some averages for teams with 90+ punters or kickers.

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I think no. Only defensive and offensive personnel are figured in. No special teams.

However, I do think we might need to think about allowing teams with good kickers/punters to use a RFA tag on them if they would be within the top 10 of their side of the ball (K would be offense, P would be defense).

16. natedawg212000

well like i posted in the other thread, punters and kickers dont count towards the average and they dont count towards the 6 players that need to be cut, but they can use their tags however they want too.

such as...i cut my 6 plus my kicker and then use one of my restricted tags on my kicker. i can do that cause its my tags and i can use 'em how i want too.

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Ah. Gotcha. So they don't need to use the tags on players they cut, just on whomever they want to.

That makes sense.

18. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Really like these FA rules guys. Well done!

19. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

Sounds good