Offseason thoughts - Sal Cap / FA

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Mags, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

Offseason thoughts - Sal Cap / FA

All,

Just wanted to give a heads-up that I'm working on our plans for the offseason. Now that we are at least established, we can add in the GM aspects of the game.

I'm going to see if I can leverage LeaguePulse (for FA, resigns, and trading) for the offseason to make things run a bit smoother. The draft will be online and live, but I'm not sure how much I can put in LP. Not sure if it makes sense or not yet, we'll see when we get there.

Questions welcome, though I'm still in the planning stage so I'm not sure how much I can answer.

2. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

The OMFL salary cap concept is kinda cool, where each player is worth a certain point value (based on OVR) although I don't think it required very many owners to trade/release anyone big. They were talking about lowering the cap, or forcing teams to drop a 90+ into the FA pool etc..not too keen on that.

If we had a salary cap, one idea might be that all players who have contracts up get released into FA pool except for 2-3 franchise tags. Then do 24-48hr bidding on the rest of the FA's. The exception would be restricted free agents who you could automatically resign.

I don't think that salaries come into the picture online, but I could be wrong.

3. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

The OMFL salary cap concept is kinda cool, where each player is worth a certain point value (based on OVR) although I don't think it required very many owners to trade/release anyone big. They were talking about lowering the cap, or forcing teams to drop a 90+ into the FA pool etc..not too keen on that.

If we had a salary cap, one idea might be that all players who have contracts up get released into FA pool except for 2-3 franchise tags. Then do 24-48hr bidding on the rest of the FA's. The exception would be restricted free agents who you could automatically resign.

I don't think that salaries come into the picture online, but I could be wrong.

4. Mags

The system I have in mind would be a hybrid of that, only extended to a 'salary/bonus' structure per se. Players point values wouldn't 'evolve' each season as that system would. Once the system is set and in place, it will naturally create things like 'good' and 'bad' contracts. Even with our current pace (4+seasons), there's enough to make it work.

It'll make more sense once you see it in LeaguePulse, but it would make our offseason similar to what we used to have on the PC. We'll have a salary system with bonuses and cap hits. We will have UFAs and RFAs. We will have FA bidding, and by extension a free market system for the FAs. We'll also have draft picks and whatnot worked in.

Along with that, it'll all be easily tracked in LeaguePulse. That'll also make the whole trade block / offers thing much easier so that we don't have to do it in the forums. It'll give me a way to monitor transactions. It'll also help us in general by not having to deal with manual tracking in the forums / spreadsheets etc.

I'll be tinkering with the 'numbers' but I plan on having LP loaded up with sample data prior to us hitting the offseason. It's doable.

5. scarface

scarface Walk On

if done in league pulse will we have to use this forum, a LP forum and log onto the PS3 to do all of this stuff?

6. Mags

There wouldn't be a reason to go to the LP forums.

I'm not exactly sure how much would be done on the PS3 aside from the draft. There really isn't any other facet of the offseason on the PS3. From what I understand, it just retires guys and drops the lowest rated players from your roster to make room for the draft picks. There is nothing else.

While we are in the offseason, just going to LP would be easy to manage FA and trade blocks, trade offers, etc...

7. Big D

Big D Walk On

Just a thought, but starting in season 2 could we up the pace to perhaps 3 games a week?

As you said we will only be getting in 4-ish seasons. . . not really time for young drafted talent to develop.

8. Mags

We played 3 games a week on the PC, but we also had flexible scheduling. (We would release 3 games at once which could be played in any order).

Without that, I wouldn't push this league back to 3 games a week. We're content at 2.

9. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

Yea, the 3 Games a week got 6 seasons in every version, which was a Blistering pace. We drafted, and 8 weeks later we were drafting again. It made your head spin.

But like Mags said, the PC Version allowed us to play our games out of order, so that let you schedule opponents over the course of 7 days. With this PS3 version, you HAVE to play your games in order. There's NO Way I could pidgeon hole a game into a 2 day period if we went to 3 a week. I'm having enough trouble with the Friday to Sunday Game.

10. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

Anything new to report?

11. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Salary Cap

I'd hope whatever is decided is implemented quickly to allow for planning. Also I hope that trades already completed would not be effected by any cap rules - ie no cap hits, etc - due to the fact that to my knowledge this wasn't on the table during my trading spree earlier in the year:)

A question: You have a guy you drafted as a 75 who then goes up to an 80-something player after year 1. The guy was a 3rd or 4th rounder - is his "cap cost" accelerated from year 1 to year 2? I would hope not - that would kind of penalize a team for drafting a player in the middle rounds. I'd like to see a system set up where drafted players have a slotted value for a set number of years - and in our case it would basically be for the life of the franchise since we wont get more than 4 or 5 seasons in.

12. Big D

Big D Walk On

I agree with Tank's thought about implementing it quickly so we can plan.

I'm open to anything as long as it drives parity in this league. I think a good solid salary cap is needed. I think a cap based on ratings (like in OMFL) is a solid way to go. . .

Also some things we need to get set:
    1) Roster Mins/Maxes
    2) Injured Reserves
    3) Which order we will do things in the offseason. (Draft then FA, or FA then draft?)

Personally I would like to see a system of restricted free agents and regular free agents. I'd be willing to help formulate a more in depth system if it is needed.

Also. . .and I think VERY importantly. . .we need to set a MAX disconnect for human vs. CPU games. I think it is totally bogus when I see a human-CPU game was started 4-6 times. To me that means that the human team would just quit whenever they got behind, thus ensuring a win. That is not a sim league, and needs to be quashed, NOW. And personally I think anybody who does that should just be booted anyways.

13. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Agree with dunlap regarding restarts. I know things happen with connections - me and scar had an awful time getting our last game in (might have been closer if we made it through our first 2 attempts;) ). But to have more than 2 restarts when playing a cpu game it begins to get a little fishy.

And having cap set by ratings is ok, but again - guys who are drafted(even rookies and 1st year players already in the franchise now) should have their salaries set at a round specific(ie 1st rounders are "x", 2nd rounders are "y", etc..) value for the length of the franchise. This way a guy who drafts a diamond in the rough who progresses 7 points a year has a bargain on their roster - a reward for good drafting. Makes no sense to me to have a 3rd round pick taking up any more cap space than a 3rd rounder should after 1 or 2 years in the league.

14. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

I thought I saw somewhere where we agreed that that would be 3. Yes?

I'm like 3-2 vs the CPU. All 3 wins I only had to start once. The 2 losses, I tried 3 times each, and couldn't get a win...so the last game stood. Except my game with the Chargers...I f'd that up. Mags had to sim the 4th game, and I lost anyway.

15. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

as of now i have basically the default titans we started with only adding on OL backup. assuming we go under the point based by rating salary cap is there anyway we could do a check to see what our original rosters (before preseason FA started) would rate with that cap system. that would in my opinion give us a good cap # to start at since all teams were default nfl rosters. just a thought.

16. Mags

We do have a max of 3, it's in the rules. I have been keeping track of who goes over, and have contacted a few owners to check on the circumstances. I haven't made it public, but I do monitor it. :)

Regarding the whole sal cap thing... Each player's individual cap number would not be 'reevaluated' each year based on ratings b/c that would defeat the purpose of an actual 'salary' cap. There would be no 'good' or 'bad' contracts b/c everyone would be weighted to their current ratings.

The gist of the system is this. A numerical 'sal / cap' number is assigned by ratings similar to OMFL. Once that is set up, that becomes our salary structure. Rather than have contract lengths which would have to be arbitrarily assigned, we will have FA ages (which combines with another system people use for this sort of thing.).

For example, if we have FA every 4 years, technically that means we have 4 year 'contracts'. So, you would know how many years left your player has by his age. For the PC guys, in LeaguePulse, this would also show up as Contract Years Left.

This is a COMPLETELY MADE UP situation, but should illustrate how things would work.

Player A: 84 OVR RB, 22 yrs old - Cap Value / Salary = 15 points
    Player B: 93 OVR RB, 29 yrs old - Cap Value / Salary = 20 points

Free Agency occurs at 24, 28, 32, 34 yrs old (for sake of argument)...

OK, as we've established above, we have a young kid and a pretty good vet, and their starting cap values assigned by the scale we use to determine initial contact values. These don't change until either:
    1. They are free agents and get a new contract
    2. They have their contract restructured

Now, let's look at these guys in one year.

Player A: 87 OVR RB, 23 yrs old - Cap Value / Salary = 15 points
    Player B: 91 OVR RB, 30 yrs old - Cap Value / Salary = 20 points

In one year, the kid got a bit better. He is now an 87 OVR player (which would typically cost 17 points let's say...). Therefore, he's actually a good cap value player compared to his OVR rating. Player B, the vet, started losing a step or two. His Cap value, still at 20, might start to be a bit more than the average player for his rating. Again, his value is declining.

Let's add one more year.

Player A: 90 OVR RB, 24 yrs old - Cap Value / Salary = 15 points
    Player B: 87 OVR RB, 31 yrs old - Cap Value / Salary = 20 points

Player A had another great year and is now a free agent. You can see that he's 'underpaid', still with his rookie contract of 15 points. Now, in the FA market, he will fetch at least the value of his new rating (let's say 18 points). Probably more... Now we have a free market system working to bid/offer a new contract. So he could very well get paid more (21 points) than he is rated. Maybe his new contract looks like this...
    Player A: 90 OVR RB, 24 yrs old - Cap Value / Salary = 19 points

Player B is obviously slipping, but he's still counting his whole 20 points. The team may have to decide whether or not to jettison him. We could build in a "cap hit" of 20%, or a straight cap hit of 1 point for each year left on the player's contract. All easy enough to build in and track.

With this, we are back to having a functional system for salaries / contracts, and free agency.

Regarding the offseason, here's how I would see our plan of attack:

1. Season ends
    2. OF is advanced to offseason, which I think goes right to the draft (need to find this out).
    3. LeaguePulse is advanced to offseason. New Cap is determined.
    4. Player retirements are taken into account.
    5. Free Agents are identified.
    6. Player resignings occur - rules to be determined.
    7. Trading opens.
    8. Free Agency opens - blind bidding.
    9. FA closes - players moved
    10. Rookies are drafted
    11. Rookies are added to LP and assigned default contracts based on draft round. This is important as it sets up busts and gems regarding contracts. I believe we will all know the player OVRs we are drafting, so there's a chance to draft a raw talent guy very high, but you will have to pay him for the round he was drafted in... VERY IMPORTANT TO FIGURE OUT.
    12. 2nd FA Period opens / closes.
    13. Teams get to 53 player requirements for rosters.
    14. Contract Restructures
    15. New Season.

I think I hit everything, and I'll add in that we'd have a normal IR system in place as well. Hopefully that illustrates what I have in mind, and again I think it'll make a lot more sense when you see it in LP (provided I can get it all lined up and working).

Have questions, fire away. I'm all for open discussion.

17. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Mags the offseason does in fact go right to the draft. Owners can"scout" players - all ratings are available and reorder your draft board. Commish starts draft and sets time for each team to pick - 60 seconds.

18. Mags

Cool... do you know if you can still process transactions (FA, cut, trade) while it is in that 'mode'?

19. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

Any idea how trading of draft picks will be handled, if at all?

I believe that it is a live draft<?> Who picks for people who don't show up - Mags, or CPU?

My suggestions for trading draft picks would be to have the person who traded for the pick, direct the other owner who to choose on their behalf - if possible.

Also, if you want to test with a 2-4-6 person league setup separately, I'll volunteer myself to help out..we can sim games to get to offseason and go from there..

20. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

1. I believe you can trade and cut players both pre and post draft. If you don't cut players before the draft and go over roster limits the CPU will AUTOMATICALLY release players for you. My suggestion is release enough players predraft to get the CPU out of any roster decision entirely. Another option would be for owners to keep track of players and allow them to resign any unwanted CPU-cut player after the draft is complete.

2. The max time limit between picks is 60 seconds. That means 60 seconds to make your pick when your turn comes up. It also means that we will probably need to use ICQ during the draft. I also know that the commish can pause the draft, which could come in wayyy handy if players get disconnected during the draft. This has happened, although infrequently, during small (3 players) franchises I've done with friends.

3. If time runs out the CPU will make the pick for you, and it will be based on your draft board, which you can set up before the draft. The CPU will draft best overall. The 60 seconds will fly by - and if your asshole friend drafts the guy you were sitting on waiting to draft just before your turn comes up it can get hectic. Especially as the draft moves into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

4. If mags (or anyone else involved in league decisions) would like to "join" our 3 man franchise and run a draft for one of the teams during our next draft let me know. We haven't played in about 3 weeks, but I believe we are at an offseason in our franchise. We could do it as early as this Friday night, and it'd allow for more informed decisions without the time and hassle needed to advance even a 2 man franchise into an offseason.(You can only sim 1 week per hour, more if you repeatedly quit and restart the game - a royal pain in the ass).