Offseason thoughts

Discussion in 'Freshmen Orientation' started by GDip, Aug 9, 2013.

1. GDip

GDip Walk On

Guys we're at a good point to bring up some things that will be affecting our league coming up.

Privately I know I've talked to a few of you who are either planning on/considering quitting NCAA. The reasons for this are obvious, but run the spectrum from having 2 teams that are not getting Coach XP, game play in NCAA just being too poor on defense and all that to tie in with Madden coming out.

Now, @RRAHx2 had informed me a few weeks ago his plans to retire following this season, and I have already got a replacement for him, another former RS member, @whatspeakyou So that fixes at least that departure.

I am hoping to get the entire groups thoughts on what the long term plan is for this release of NCAA.

Personally, I have never been so frustrated with an EA football game as I am with this version of NCAA. I don't think I want to continue playing, unfortunately. It has nothing to do with this league or the guys in it, and everything to do with how much enjoyment I get from playing the game. I just wish there was something that could be done to make defense more fun, I mean shit, that's 50% of the damn game. I feel bad, as I am not a quitter, and have never dropped a league here on TSO, but I'm just not enjoying the game.

Now this isn't the only thing on my plate coming up. I will be moving out of the country in just over 2 weeks. Because of that I was planning all along to put a new commissioner in place while I stayed in the league.

So the questions are:
    How many of us are sure they will be sticking around?
    If you are sticking around would you want to take over the commish duties starting with season 2?

Please leave a comment with your thoughts for going forward. Thanks guys.

Cincinnati - @nellycuz
    Fresno State - @GDip
    Air Force - @whatspeakyou
    Hawaii - @Anthrax78
    SMU - @Jonathan Applegate
    Colorado State - @jay2149
    Louisville - @SFRANGER6969
    Wyoming - @Hitmhrd72
    Rutgers - @oneshot24
    UCF - @Aspect1
    USF - @AwaLL
    San Jose State - @SmashMouthFB33

2. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

I would ride this out since I initially planned on keeping this NCAA league and my 2 madden leagues but I agree that many things are broken in this game that need to be addressed. I would continue the league but if only 4 guys are going to be committed then it wouldn't be any reason to stick around either.

3. GDip

GDip Walk On

I'm getting a lot of this feeling: "if not many people are going to stay than I don't want to either"

Sounds like most people want to stick around, just want the commitment from a majority of the guys in here. I wish I could be one of those guys, I just don't like the game enough.

4. Jonathan Applegate

Jonathan Applegate Walk On

5. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

I'm trying to research if a patch will be released for the XP issue. I would suggest that maybe a reboot with better teams maybe the issue considering that the real difference to me with the average teams to the really good teams is defense since really most of the college starting QB's have a close range of throwing power and accuracy and only speed and awr effects the rating between average and elite QB's.

All that being said though it does seem to me that the game "picks" a winner prior to every game and the only way to counter it would be to cheese or play amazing in order to win. Particularly with not getting benefits from XP if you are one of the unlucky ones then it seems pointless to continue unless its taken care of since it hurts only the coaches that have the problem and makes an uneven playing field.

6. GDip

GDip Walk On

yeah the xp thing seems to have no real solutions to it at the moment. so we would also have to decide how to go forward with that. I was thinking if we didn't want to restart than we just have to cap the xp development at lvl 5 or 6 whatever the 2 owners who aren't getting XP are at.

If we did a restart I also have thought of using the top teams, as it doesn't appear that using these mediocre teams is really as challenging as it was meant to be. If we're gonna get through a season with just a couple of CPU losses might as well play with the big boys. but a restart would need to be something that everyone can buy into.

7. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

@GDip

I feel the same way. According the EA boards at lot of us who don't cheese the game have complained as well about the defense. I agree @Anthrax78, it does seem as if the game chooses who is going to win. I usually don't keep NCAA when Madden comes out, but was hoping this year will be different. I might give it another try if we were to move up in class and play with the studs. I am keeping hopes alive that a patch would come around soon and make this game ENJOYABLE to play.

8. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Honestly, I will stick around if the majority of the guys in here are committed but it's hard for people to "buy in" to a flawed product like this too.

If we reboot and give it at least 1 more season and figure out what 2 conferences we should play as then and run a random list to pick the teams (assuming the SEC is in there and 7 guys are fighting over Alabama) then I could live with it. I like taking the middle of the road team and building them up through recruiting anyways. Or you could even make the top conference teams off limits (Alabama, Ohio St, Oregon..etc) and everyone choose between the middle of the road schools instead.

9. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

I'm kind of on the fence here. I do enjoy the game for the most part, and the user games I've played this year have been a lot of fun. I would lean towards a restart possibly. However what really "sucked" this season was the lack of activity on the forums. I tried to do some content that got a few comments at best. It seems like people were just playing their games and that's it. Not everyone, don't get me wrong. But at least half provided nothing. Seems like a few of the guys in the league are in 2 or 3 ODs and barely have time to play their CPU games.

If we move forward with the league either a restart or continue, I'll stick around. But if the activity level is what it was this season, you can count me out after season 1.

10. GDip

GDip Walk On

I wouldn't count on using the top teams to 'fix' the defensive issues. I'm in an OD using the Big 10, users are running with the likes of Ohio St., Penn St., Mich. St, Iowa, Nebraska, Clemson, Wisconsin, etc... and the same applies to those teams... Defense just doesn't play like they are aware of what they should be doing. It makes a few very minor improvments, but overall it's just a flaw in the game, not our teams level. A patch would be what we need

11. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

I agree with you and would love to committ to adding some stuff myself but NOTHING makes me more angry than being the only 1 doing a game summary or even adding any feedback. In this league or either of my Madden leagues. I always love adding stuff if I have the time but it should be even among all the coaches as well.

12. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

That's for sure. Playing with the safety helped, but yeah. A patch is in order.

13. oneshot24

oneshot24 Walk On

I want 2 stick around but im getting no XP, Put that with the poor defense and it just sucks. I no im not the best player in the league but i couldn't even compete with any of the users i played and i watched CPU AI on my team play horrible, Like running past the WR or TE on streaks while they just sit there and catch the ball, and on run plays having defenders still chasing the person there covering even tho the ball has been handed off to the RB. Not to mention seeing a small RB truck multiple LB's which would never happen, maybe once in awhile but i was seeing it a few times a play.

14. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

Yes, this is what I had a problem with as well. My defenders getting trucked by smaller guys. I thought this game was supposed to take weight in account for all the running animations they put in. Just another case for the offensive running game being overpowered. Especially when playing the CPU.

15. oneshot24

oneshot24 Walk On

Yea i didn't notice it alot in user games but CPU games its just crazy.

16. GDip

GDip Walk On

and yet nobody was losing CPU games. hard to take away from an already inferior opponant

17. oneshot24

oneshot24 Walk On

What killed the Cpu in games is turnovers for me anyways, that and the defense was very easy 2 beat. Not sure how 2 fix that.

18. GDip

GDip Walk On

19. SFRANGER6969

SFRANGER6969 Walk On

Defense does not exist in this game and there really is no way to fix that I highly doubt that ea will push out a patch that will fix much.

I have no clue why the xp is not working for some coaches b/c in the other dynastys I am in it has not been a problem.

If we have a solid group of 12 that wants to play in the league I do not mind restarting but I strongly suggest we just stick to default heisman for the sliders.

20. AwaLL

AwaLL Walk On

I may stick around if we use the big boy teams on a restart. Im one of the 2 coaches not getting XP, and going 11-1 and winning Orange Bowl that should be a big recruiting class for a smaller school and ive gotten almost nobody because im level 3 or something.

To be honest tho once Madden comes out im not sure ill still be playing NCAA. All i can hope for is Madden not being as flawed.

21. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

I am hoping the same as well. From some of the games I saw on Youtube, it doesn't seem to be a problem. Won't know more until I get hands on.

22. jay2149

jay2149 Walk On

im sticking around and it dosent matter to me about defense its just fun to play for me

23. Jonathan Applegate

Jonathan Applegate Walk On

Yeah better teams doesn't solve the problem...defense is just impossible to play...even with that though i've had alot of fun playing..i'll be around as long as the league keeps going

I don't think going 11-1 in your first season matters...i bet you get more recruits next season

24. GDip

GDip Walk On

Alright, so looks like everyone whose checked in so far (absent Aspect1 and SmashMouthFB33) is willing to keep going with the league!

I still am going to pull out, so is there someone willing to take over as commish?

25. jay2149

jay2149 Walk On

Im down but i nominate Smash or hitman