Offseason Thread (Starts Monday 12/17 @ 730 PM ET)

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Title

2. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

fishdock webbs6212 cyhiphopp Glen Cieske jandy cmassey13 Crumbler81 Rekkapryde Antonio T.

No one has said anything to the contrary, so I assume you're all good to go for off season tonight at 7:30 est. Please be on AIM for communication purposes.

Players Leaving

I've thought that players leaving needed some tweaking, so I talked to other commishes on the forum. Below are the rules they use and the ones we will be implementing, effective immediately.

Player's Leaving Restrictions
    6 star (program) - cant sway a player > 88 or anyone > 85 with an award.
    5 star - cant sway a player > 90 or anyone > 85 with an award.
    4 star - cant sway anyone > 92 or anyone > 88 with an award.
    < 3 star - can't sway anyone > 94 or anyone > 88 with an award.

If a player is projected in the 6th or 7th round, and is less than a 93 overall, you CAN convince him to stay

Obviously these are pretty harsh rules and really hurt some of our six star programs this year (I'm probably hurting the most lol, so not feeling too sorry :p ) . But here is the the logic behind it:

The top-rated programs are bringing in the best recruits. These recruits (in real life) would come with the goal of playing early, if not immediately. CMassey, I know that you expressed a desire to play more with redshirt sophomores (you don't lose any even with these rules so no worries for now), but the truth is, the top recruits in the country shouldn't be redshirted. I look back when OSU signed Ted Ginn Jr. He was a top recruit, but had no receiving skills. Nonetheless OSU started him because they knew he would be a three-year player and redshirting him would waste a year. It's similar to South Carolina and Clowney and Florida with Harvin. If you get a top flight player and you anticipate he'll leave after three years...Dont Redshirt Him! Even if he's not highly rated, overall ratings arent everything. I'm sure you'll be able to get him on the field in a productive matter.

Secondly, since progression is so steep for high-tier programs, swaying players to return is essentially hoarding talent. If my QB was aloud to return next year, I'd have a 99 and 97 OVR QB's. That just shouldn't happen. This will create more of a "revolving door" so to speak, and keep us in line with the CPU teams, which will definitely decline as we continue to progress.

Hope everyone understands and I'm happy to hear and complaints or questions.

Spayer

PS... Incase you don't know what star your program is right now

6 Star: Ohio State, Wisconsin, Georgia Tech, Texas, Alabama

5 Star: Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Michigan

4 Star: North Carolina

3 Star: Iowa

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  3. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Also please welcome Crumbler81 who will be taking over Michigan!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rekkapryde

Rekkapryde Walk On

no one worth a shit is leaving other than seniors for me [​IMG]

5. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Haha they want to stay and capture that ACC title

• Like Like x 1
  6. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Sweet! ND vs Michigan has added meaning now! Welcome C!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

One Minor Change
    If a player is projected in the 6th or 7th round, and is less than a 93 overall, you CAN convince him to stay. I think this does balance it out a bit

8. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

Hey! Thanks for letting me join!

Unfortunately, it looks like I have already broken a rule by accident :(

Before I saw the above rules, I swayed TE Daniel Johnson (JR(R) 91 OVR) and DE Van McKeon (JR(R) 91 OVR) to stay for their senior year. Want me to just cut them when I get the chance?

9. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Yes, and thanks for being honest (y)

10. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

Okay, no worries

11. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

Tying the sway rules to projected draft position seems more realistic to me. I haven't been able to see who is leaving yet for me, but if we want it to be realistic, then draft projections should be more important than ratings. I know there's instances where guys go even when they're projected to be late rounders, but that's not the norm in real life. Anyway I will just say that while I agree with what you are saying about not redshirting guys, these kind of rule changes should be made at the beginning of a year so that we can plan accordingly instead of being hit with it as the guys are lining up to leave. I mean I can't go back and "un-redshirt" a guy who I protected under our old rules, so maybe these kind of rule changes should be setup to take effect a year down the road. Just a thought to keep things moving smoothly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Only SRs leaving. Ready to Advance. And I am done with Recruiting for the year.

13. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

Ready to advance. Losing 5 underclassmen, so will have more recruiting to do.

14. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I would agree with you, but the projections are faulty in this game. Go look...no underclassmen are projected to go higher than the 3rd round (and this may be in part that we've been keeping the current upperclassmen when they should leave as underclassmen). And I do agree that these rules should be made at the beginning of the year, and I apologize if I threw things off for anybody. But I was just looking at it and thought it would be for the best, and I hope you all trust me in that aspect.

15. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Post your AIM names in here so I can invite

16. Crumbler81

Crumbler81 Walk On

AIM: Chris Thomasson

17. webbs6212

webbs6212 Walk On

Jordan VanWesten

18. Rekkapryde

Rekkapryde Walk On

MMRekkapryde

19. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

Was thinking about this more and thought one thing that might be fun is to give each team 1 sway cheat that would allow us to sway one guy that we normally wouldn't be allowed to each year. For instance, this year I've got two guys transferring that are gonna leave me pretty thin at DE and OLB since I'm also losing a JR to the draft at each position. So if we had the "one cheat", I could try to sway my DE who's projected to go in the 5h round to stick around. Maybe say the cheat can only be a guy that is projected to be picked in the 4th round or later to keep it from being too lopsided. Just something that I thought could make for a fun idea. I think we're getting to a point where some added fun couldn't hurt.

20. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I like that idea. You can "cheat" on one player that is projected in the fourth round or lower, so long that they are below a 94 overall. Sound good?

21. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

cool.

22. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  23. webbs6212

webbs6212 Walk On

24. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

For whatever reason I dont have a user name. Message cmassey13 and he'll invite you in

25. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

While we wait for you on aim, are you good with players leaving?