Offseason

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by tankwillis, Nov 18, 2009.

1. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Offseason

Never too early to start planning for the offseason.

And reading some of the other forums on here it seems like another league had some legit problems with the draft. I hope we can set a draft date that we all can make, but also think it would probably be best to conduct the first round (or 2) here on the forums.

The main thing is for each of us to make sure we get our main picks done right. I personally want/need to make my picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds as well(I have 3 3rd rounders). And doing a forum draft 2 or 3 days before the actual PS3 draft will let us all know who to take/not to take in the event a player or 2 cant make it or gets booted during the draft(I've personally seen this happen in my small 3 man franchise I run with buddies).

If it takes a little more time and effort to do a forum draft (say rds 1 and 2) it will be well worth it to avoid some of the problems encountered in another league on this site.

Also - would love to know the cap/free agent rules ASAP. I think the more simple the better. Allowing us to resign our players at league imposed values seems fair to me. And if the price set my the league seems steep we can always release the player and hope to resign him at a lower cap cost. I also think that this years rookies(ie Crabtree) who are 24 years old should be exempt from any kind of free agency until they hit the next age barrier.

My 2 cents - fire away.

2. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

Tank, as far as I know this will be handled in League Pulse...which makes everything easier?

3. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

it may make free agents easier, but i think the draft may take some time and effort to make sure it is done correctly

the cpu drafted a center for a guy who couldn't make it to the draft 3rd overall - even though he had set draft board up etc. stuff like that can kill a franchise for a person

4. hoytpower

hoytpower Walk On

Simple solution for that problem. Be online for the draft or don't bitch about what you get!!!!(y)

5. gt86

gt86 Walk On

That's why it's important to let the commish and Rc to know ahead of time if you not going to make it so they can take control of your team and draft for you. That only works though if Ea allows Mags to do that on the OF.

6. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

7. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

The bigger problem might be guys who are there but who - for whtever reason - get dropped during the draft. I have see nthis happen in a smaller franchise I am in with 2 buddies of mine. That is a legit concern imo.

Believe me - i will be at the draft :) But I would like failsafes in place for all of us just in case. Plan for a worst case scenario IMO.

8. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

EA's online draft thing is quite possibly the worst I've ever seen. It's not set up to be useful, and certainly not set up to be successful. We may not even use it, I'll just have to see how feasible it is to just do it all in LP. I don't think you can view the class from the OF site, which hampers things even more.

9. Big D

Big D Walk On

Mags. . .could you post something more finalized about salary cap and the offseason free agency periods? This way those of us who aren't in the playoffs can start planning (and stay active in this league). I think the earlier you realease this the smoother things will go.

Also as far as the draft goes, perhaps we should do the first two rounds on the board. But keep in mind in the SMFL they have tried this, and it has taken then ALL WEEK LONG just to get the first round in.

To be honest, even tho it isn't perfect I think we should set up a time and just do it online. Those owners/teams who can't make it could submit a draft ranking list, and we would take the top available player for them from their list. Frankly, I don't want to be spending 2-3 weeks on the forums doing a draft.

Anyways, if you could get us something finalized about salary caps and free agency that would be great!

10. scarface

scarface Walk On

SD in MEGAS past we have done the draft with a rolling start meaning the draft is say a week away YET we can make our picks as we browse the forums, we would sometimes get 1-2 rounds in before the draft is even "supposed" to start, then when we go "live" we get 2 mins or so to make the pick.

the important thing here is to
    1. follow the forums and see where we are with the draft.
    2. set up a list of players you would like in a particular order.
    3. be here for the draft.
    as always you cant please everyone as some cant make it and some simply wont show up but being active and such helps mags get this done smoothly and fast.

Mags usually has something up for guys that are not in the playoffs as well as you stated.

11. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

:)

We were discussing it at our mini-RC meeting last night at Dave and Busters.

1. I can't bowl.
    2. Ted ordered girlyburgers.
    3. Bobby pretty much broke a bowling alley.

AAAAAAAAAaanyway... Offseason news will be coming.

12. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

You don't realize how heavy a 15 pound bowling ball is until you wake up the next morning, and you shoulder feels like you just threw 18 innings of baseball.

Good Times for sure.

Next Time we'll hit the shuffle board table.

13. scarface

scarface Walk On

SOOOOO, you did not go with the salad and water like I suggested?