Ohio St - Texas A&M

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by NYJuggalo45, Apr 1, 2009.

1. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Ohio St - Texas A&M

here is the short and bitter version, ryno can expand on it if he wishes to

Texas A&M - 24
    Ohio St - 17

A week after traveling to Norman, OK and bullying the Sooners, the Buckeyes had the same thing happen to them in their home stadium. The Aggies were the physically stronger team tonite and that was a key in their upset win. They stuffed Ohio St's run game and were able to convert atleast half a dozen 3rd & short plays into 1st downs and OSU had alot of trouble getting them off the field. They also knocked out quite a few OSU players in the 1st half with the "will return soon" nagging injuries.

That being said, and with all due respect to Ryno, still think this is a game we should have won. There were 5 game changing plays/sequences in this one, and we couldn't catch a friggin break as all 5 went against us.

- Down 7-0, OSU QB Ben Smith (and me obviously) made one of the 5 worst reads in the history of NCAA football and hit TAMU's MLB right between the numbers on an interception at the goaline as we were about to tie it up 7-7
    - Down 14-3, WR Nick Green comes free on deep post to the endzone, but Smith hangs the ball a little. TAMU's CB makes a terrific play in swatting the ball, but somehow, the ball then ricohets off of WR Green and into the waiting arms of a safety for another pick.
    - Down 17-7, TAMU's QB Butler trys to throw a deep out which All-American CB Nick Copeland jumps perfectly. The ball literally hits Copeland right between the numbers as I am trying to user catch, and it falls to the ground. There was no one around Copeland and he could have walked into the endzone for a TD
    - Still down 17-7, Butler tries a deep pass to a WR. Just like the 2nd play above, our CB makes a nice swat and again the ball richocets right to our safety. Except this time, the game freezes up for a second. The ball is literally right in my safeties hands but I cant do anything and it falls to the floor.
    - And the biggie. Down by 14 pts at some point...we have a 1st and goal from the 8 yd line. Our starting HB Joey Hayes is out for a qtr. We hate our backup. 1st down run to the 3. 2nd down run up the gut, stuffed. 3rd down pass to the FB and it looked like the Kevin Dyson vs. the Rams play as he gets stopped about a foot short. Our starting HB is still out so a run is out, the QB sneak has been discussed and has been determined it's cheese, so that's out, so I try a pass that hits my TE in the back as he never turned around.

All that being said...Ryno out played me and deserved the win. If we catch a break or 2, maybe things go a little different, but we didn't and the Aggies got a hard fought quality win. GG man.

PS I hope JMS lost to ASU otherwise I am once again, the guy that is dragging down the Big 10 with the only OOC user loss this year

2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

I think this game was about the trenches. A&M won the battle on both sides of the ball at the line of scrimmage.

The huge OL was able to push OSU around a bit suprisingly, giving my guys 3-5 yards a carry and giving us good 2nd and 3rd down distances.

Todd Butler was on tonight... 0 int's..yes OSU dropped one clear cut possibility, but that's why these guys play defense right? The senior all everything QB make all the right decisions in the spread option read offense of coach Ryno.

"Coach runs a special type of offense that attracted me, i watched Stephen McGee through High School and really patterned my game after his" said Butler when asked about how he fits into this type of scheme. "This is why im here, i considered Penn State briefly.. but the Aggies just felt more like a home to me. Coach told me i would start day 1 after my redshirt and i have... i think's it's been a nice run so far"

Butler has already shattered all the Aggie career passing statistics and is on pace to finish as the most prolific offensive weapon in Texas A&M history. The numbers are staggering..

On pace for (Career numbers)

12,000 + passing yards
    120 TD's passing
    60 TD's rushing
    3,000 yds rushing

Yet numbers are nothing to this kid.. i think we all know a victory in the 'shoe like this was far more satisfying. This is the kind of win that's helps build the program. Butler has seen the lean days early in his stay at A&M... but he's help bring this mediocre program all the way to the cusp of competing with the big boys.

Let's not overshadow what this defense accomplished though. With youngsters all over the field, they physically dominated the Buckeyes for 3 qtrs of football. I thought they were gonna need to hire additional training staff they were rolling around on the field so much. (I think jms has something when he talks about OSU players being soft).

With their Junior All American LB shelved for at least another 9 weeks... Freshman MLB Polite has had to grow up quickly this season as the anchor of this defense. He played awesome tonight with several big tackles and a huge INT early in the game. All 4 freshman on the defense contributed tonight, especially CB Mack who had 2 key knockdowns, one resulting in an INT.

The defenses ability to stop and punish the OSU running backs was key to forcing the Buckeyes into difficult 3rd downs. The Aggies still struggled to get a sack.. but they got good pressure several times forcing rushed decisions and throw away passes that added to the Buckeyes difficulty.

This win actually hurts in a way... it's makes this Aggie fan think about what might have been if things would have gone a little different in Purdue earlier in the season... that 3 point loss looks much bigger now as the Aggies persue the next level of achievement.

GG Juggs.. 1st time i've beaten you in any league... 1-2 now... you still hold the lead.

3. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

agree wholeheartedly with the 1st sentence "I think this game was about the trenches. A&M won the battle on both sides of the ball at the line of scrimmage.". i really don't know why either. oklahoma has better guys up front that tamu, and on the road, we dominated them. at home, with their all-american LB injured no less, we couldn;t do shit on the ground. rather frustrating, but i guess that's why you play the games right.

4. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

That's not true....my O-line is one of the worst and it's definitely worse than TAMU's......Ryno recruits blue chip offensive lineman every year, so he's done a great job there.....Helli correctly predicted that my O-Line would let me down a few times...so far, it's been more than a few times, they've gotten handled every game this season, even in my lone win against Tenn....guess what I'll be filling my board up with next season

5. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

I was more talking about TAMU's front 7 vs our running game. I'm a much better running team than having to duck and chuck it all game. We gained like 45 rushing yds and threw for close to 300. I'd much rather be balanced like in our game.

But you're right, TAMU's oline also dominated. Like i said, we got beat up and bullyed in our own backyard...no excuses or explanation for it

6. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Oh, my bad....yeah my D-Line definitely is pretty good, but they played scared....at home at that

7. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

yea.. my Oline is huge.. all 300+ with a couple real beefeaters. They are grind it up run blockers that struggle to protect against speed rushers when we pass.

If they get there hands on you though, they tend to do well.