Ohio State 2013-2014 Team Preview Thread

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Welcome to the Ohio State 2013-2014 team preview thread. As we edge closer to the start of Chompions League, and more information about NCAA 14 comes out, I will be previewing the 2013-14 Buckeyes (and I encourage you to do the same for your programs). With today's release of the top 10 players from each school, here is a rundown of the best Ohio State has to offer this upcoming season.​

QB #5 - Braxton Miller, Jr. (96 Overall)
    [​IMG]
    Ohio State returns 10 of 11 starters from last year's offense, and none are more important than Braxton Miller. The junior quarterback made great strides last year in his first season running the spread offense, and should be an improved passer in his third season as a starting quarterback. I expect Miller to contend for the Heisman trophy this year, given his ability to tear apart defenses with his elusive legs and strong arm. The only concern is his accuracy (84 THA), as he has a tendency to miss some throws from time to time.

LB #10 - Ryan Shazier, Jr. (93 Overall)
    [​IMG]
    While the offense returns plenty of talent around its most gifted played, Miller, the same can't be said for OSU's defense. Shazier is the only returning starter from last seasons front seven, after all four defensive linemen and the other two linebackers departed. Fortunately for Shazier, the defensive line might be even better this season with young yet talented defensive ends Noah Spence and Adolphus Washington. The linebacking core, however, could be the weakest spot on the team, save Shazier. Ohio State will need the junior linebacker to anchor the young front seven against the Big Ten's always formidable run offenses.

LG #78 - Andrew Norwell, Sr. (92 Overall)
    [​IMG]
    Mean, ugly and fierce are generally used as insults when describing a person, but they are the perfect compliments and descriptions for OSU's most physical offensive lineman. The Buckeyes return four starters from last year's line which anchored the nation's eighth best run offense, and Norwell was a big factor in the Buckeyes' success. With Miller and bruising running back Carlos Hyde returning, the OSU rushing attack will look very familiar, but aims to be even more potent in 2013.

SS #2 - Christian Bryant, Sr. (92 Overall)
    [​IMG]
    Bryant emerged as a star in the second half of last season, and is one of the fiercest hitters on the team. It's not unusual to see Bryant play near the line of scrimmage, and he loves to punish slot receivers in between the hashes. The downside of this is that Bryant is sometimes over-agressive, but he's been improving in that area. Most importantly, the other half of the OSU safety tandem, CJ Barnett, returns for his senior season. Bryant and Barnett have played alongside each other for three seasons and are roommates, their chemistry is noticeable on and off the field.

LT #74 - Jack Mewhort, Sr. (91 Overall)
    [​IMG]
    The left side will certainly be the strong side for Ohio State, with Mewhort and Norwell coming in at 91 and 92, respectively. The Toledo native is a three-year starter for the Scarlet and Grey, and likely the best pass protector on the team. This is good news for Braxton Miller, as he has Mewhort to protect his blind side for one more season.

WR #9 - Devin Smith, Jr. (91 Overall)
    [​IMG]
    A slightly higher rating than I was expecting for him, but Smith definitely has all the physical tools necessary to be an elite receiver. At 6'3 he has great size for a possession receiver, and with 91 speed and 93 acceleration he will be able to spread the field. I also expect his spectacular catch to be reasonably high, given that he made the catch of the year last season. He also made a game-winning reception against Cal last season, and another against Wisconsin the year before. The puzzling thing about Smith is that he struggles with catching the simple passes, and seems to lose focus, even in critical junctures of crucial games. Consistency will be the name of the game for the talented junior, or he will have to make room for some younger talent.

CB #1 - Bradley Roby, Jr. (91 Overall)
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps the most underrated player in OSU's top ten, Roby has a chance to be a truly special player this season. The coaches hold him in high-regards and consider him the top defensive back in the country, and Roby himself believes that he can be a top-10 pick. He has everything you want in a lockdown corner -- he's got the strength to press and the speed to cover, he's aggressive yet disciplined, talented and instinctive. Roby is also one of the fastest players on the team and could see some time as a kick returner, though those duties will likely be handled by incoming freshman Dontre Wilson.

K #24 - Drew Basil, Sr. (90 Overall)
    [​IMG]
    Not the sexiest of positions to be in the top 10, but an important one, nonetheless. Basil had an up-and-down junior season but kicked the best game of his career in the most important game of the year. Against TTUN Basil connected on 4-5 field goals, including a 52-yarder just before halftime. Basil will likely assume punting duties this year, as well, as the Buckeyes don't have a punter on scholarship.

C #71 - Corey Linsley, Sr. (90 Overall)
    [​IMG]
    Linsley is the third and final offensive linemen to rank in OSU's top 10. With Norwell and Mewhort to the left and Linsley at center, Miller has to feel extremely comfortable with his offensive line. It will be interesting to see how the right side is rated, but the coaching staff feel extremely good about the offense this season, and as with anything in football, it all starts with the offensive line.

WR #10 - Corey Brown, Sr. (90 Overall)
    [​IMG]
    Corey "Philly" Brown led the Buckeyes in catches last season with 60, twice as many as Devin Smith. This came as a surprise for many fans, as Brown had struggled with simply catching the ball as a freshman and sophomore, but it seems that he is very comfortable in the spread offense. With 96 speed and 99 acceleration, Brown will serve as OSU's Z receiver, moving all over the field and catching quick hitches and bubble screens. Brown's speed is the perfect compliment to Smith's size, and he should have an even better season in his second year as Braxton Miller's favorite target.

Up Next: A rundown of OSU's 2013 schedule

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Game 1: Ohio State vs. Buffalo (8/31)
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    Per usual, the Buckeyes open the season with a cakewalk, this year in the form of a Bull. Buffalo is not a talented team, coming in as a 79 overall and off a 4-8 season. In 2012 they ranked 101st in scoring offense and shouldn't fair any better in their 2013 opener against what looks to be a young, yet talented OSU defense. The key for OSU in this one will be getting through without injuries while providing the young talent with some valuable experience. Given that focus, this should still be an exciting day in Ohio Stadium as freshmen Dontre Wilson, Jalin Marshall, Ezekiel Elliot, Vonn Bell, Eli Apple, Mike Mitchell and the rest of OSU's stellar 2013 class make their collegiate debuts.
    Game 2: Ohio State vs. San Diego State (9/7)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    While it would still be shocking to see the Buckeyes drop their second game of the season, the Aztecs are definitely a step up in quality from Buffalo. San Diego State went 9-4 in 2012 and returns star running back Adam Muema, who ran for 1458 yards last season as a sophomore. The Buckeyes return just one member from the front seven (LB Ryan Shazier), so Muema and company will provide a nice tuneup for OSU's youth in the trenches prior to conference play.

Game 3: Ohio State @ California (9/14)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In recent years, Ohio State has consistently scheduled one marquee non-conference home-and-home matchup against a powerhouse program. This trend took a two-year hiatus in 2012-2013, partially because Cal is not currently the program it once was when the two agreed upon this series in 2004. That being said, this is an intriguing matchup for the Buckeyes. It's their first road game of the year, and they will have to travel cross-country for the meeting. Furthermore, this game is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. and will likely be on national television. In short, though Cal isn't a marquee program, this is a marquee opportunity for the Buckeyes to show the world that they are indeed national title contenders.

Game 4: Ohio State vs. Florida A&M/TBD (9/21)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Because there are no FCS teams in the game, this matchup will come against either FCS Southeast or a lowly rated FBS opponent. In other words, it doesn't matter if they're Rattlers, Eagles or Jaguars -- OSU's fourth opponent is no better than roadkill.

Up Next: Rundown of Games 5-8

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Game 5: Ohio State vs. Wisconsin (9/28) -- Glen Cieske
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In Chompions '13 the Ohio State - Wisconsin matchup was always the biggest game of the Big 10 season, and until the other conference members prove to be legitimate contenders, I see no reason that CL '14 will be any different in this matter. Glen and I had nothing but close contests in our 8 meetings last launch -- I don't believe any game was decided by double figures. It will be a tough task to play my first conference game, and first game against a worthy adversary, against Coach Cieske and his Badgers. That being said, the Buckeyes have national title aspirations, and will be ready to show the league they are worthy of that lofty goal.

Game 6: Ohio State @ Northwestern (10/5)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    In most years this would be seen as an easy W for Ohio State, but Northwestern is a serious contender in the conference this season. As a likely night game on the road, following what should be a grueling match against Wisconsin, this has "trap game" written all over it.

Game 7: Ohio State vs. Iowa (10/12)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Iowa is likely going to be average this season in real life, but EA was very friendly to the Hawkeyes in the ratings department. Who knew Big Ben Haumiller had connections with Iowa as well as FSU!

Game 8: Ohio State vs. Penn State (10/19) -- Jbek
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Jbek and I grew up in the same neighborhood playing NCAA together. In NCAA 09, the first year EA offered Online Dynasty, we began a two-player OD called "Chompions League" which we played 13 seasons of. During that time we developed an unbelievable back-and-forth rivalry full of upsets, last-second stunners and, our favorite, a classic 10-3 standstill in Happy Valley. When we finally retired that title Jbek held a 7-6 advantage. There was a five-year stretch in which I constantly had superior talent, yet Jbek narrowly defeated me in heartbreaking fashion. Now in NCAA 14, I will again have superior talent, but I have no doubt that he will be able to compete with me and the rest of the league early on. My two favorite video game experiences of all time were the '09 dynasty with Jbek, and the '13 with the rest of you. I'm ecstatic that we will be combining the two experiences for what should be the best installment of Chompions League to date. I'm almost equally excited about the prospect of rekindling the rivalry between Ohio State an Penn State in Ohio Stadium on October 19.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 3