Ohio State Buckeyes Recruiting

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Archie Griffin, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Ohio State Buckeyes Recruiting

[​IMG]

Baby Buckeyes - The 2010 Freshman Class
    *16 open spots - 2 RS Seniors + 2 transfers = 16 scholarships available​

Week
    Rank
    Name
    POS
    HGT
    WGT
    State
    Rating
    1​
    211 (#29)​
    Eddie Woods​
    CB​
    5'11"​
    203 lbs​
    OH​
    :4stars:
    1​
    240 (#15)​
    Patrick King​
    QB​
    6'2"​
    237 lbs​
    MI​
    :4stars: (Bonus)
    2​
    333 (#26)​
    Glenn Williams​
    G​
    6'4"​
    280 lbs​
    OH​
    :3stars:
    4​
    57 (#3)​
    Joey McConnell​
    MLB​
    5'9"​
    252 lbs​
    DC​
    5​
    350 (#7)​
    Matt Lynch​
    K​
    6'1"​
    194 lbs​
    OH​
    6​
    7 (#1)​
    Kasey Gilbert​
    MLB​
    6'2"​
    248 lbs​
    OH​
    :5stars:
    9​
    123 (#13)​
    James Curry​
    SS​
    6'2"​
    209 lbs​
    KY​
    10​
    118 (#8)​
    Mike Jordan​
    FS​
    6'0"​
    190 lbs​
    KY​
    12​
    221 (#30)​
    Tyrone Malone​
    CB​
    5'11"​
    175 lbs​
    MI​
    13​
    255 (#18)​
    Kenneth Crooks​
    ATH​
    6'4"​
    209 lbs​
    IL​
    OFF-1​
    74 (#6)​
    Marlon Lewis​
    SS​
    6'1"​
    204 lbs​
    FL​
    OFF-2​
    685 (#17)​
    Braylon Mitchell​
    K​
    6'1"​
    199 lbs​
    PA​

[​IMG]

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Week One Signings

[​IMG]

The Buckeyes reached into the top 250 recruit list and snatched two guys, a quarterback and a corner.

#211 - Eddie Woods, from Akron, is listed as the #29 defensive back in this year's recruiting class. He's a big kid at 203 lbs against a 5'11" frame, but his speed doesn't seem to be affected by this (B+ SPD), as he still runs in the 4.4 range, and tends to excel in man coverage schemes (B MCV).

#240 - (bonus) Quarterback Patrick King, from St. Clair Shores in Michigan, is a bit of a project. He's got good skills all around, but doesn't seem to have the wow-factor that really impresses the scouts. His arm strength and accuracy are above average, and so is his ability to avoid the rush, but he likely won't challenge for a starting job for a few years.

Coach Griffin admitted, though a bit grudgingly, that it is likely both will redshirt in their first year on campus. "But you never know," he said, "These guys just might be able to push a few starters, if they really apply themselves. We'll just wait and see."

[​IMG]

3. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Guy told me he dont even know what a Buckeye is ? I told him to hop in his wagon and com on down to Georgia....lol

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I told him the fleXbox One doesn't know what a TE is, and that he should come to Columbus, where he might catch a pass or two. :)

5. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Maybe in his Senior year he may catch one pass. He will get atleast 5 catches a year in Atlanta!!

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Signings - Week 3 and 4.

[​IMG]

The Buckeyes snagged a big one this week, and we mean BIG.

#57 - Joey McConnell, from DC, is listed as the #3 middle linebacker in this year's recruiting class. The Buckeyes are short on inside linebackers, with Austin Spitler graduating at the end of the year. McConnell hopes to start sooner rather than later, and the gap leaves him the opportunity. McConnell is a run-stopping monster - at only 5'9" tall, but a whopping 252 pounds, he's built more like a nose tackle than a linebacker, but when coach Griffin saw him run (B- SPD) he knew he had to get the DC native to come to Columbus. Though the Buckeyes are also very close to signing local celebrity and five star recruit Kasey Gilbert at the same position, McConnell saw it as an opportunity "top be the best linebacking corps in the country, no doubt."

#333 - Guard Glenn Williams, from Fairborn, is another project. He's not going to play right away, but with a little time and some coaching, he could develop. Look for him to redshirt and spend a year working on his game.

[​IMG]

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Week Five Commits

[​IMG]

Kicker Matt Lynch of Eastlake, Ohio is a local kid with a big leg. His hometown fans claim they saw him kick a field goal from 65 yards out, though there's no tape to back that up. It looks like Lynch will get a chance to prove it on the field though, as the Buckeyes have offered Lynch (a three star prospect) a scholarship, and received a soft commit from him in week four. Our guess is he'll sign this week and make it official, making Lynch the fifth player to sign with the Buckeyes this year. With senior Aaron Pettrey graduating, Lynch will likely start right away, which is exactly what he says he wants to do.

8. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I was nervous. I was thinking it was Wilcox. I was about to start crying " WHY"

9. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Love the 65 yard FG claim. How standard is that with kicker recruiting? Then the guy comes in and can't hit from 45. Well, at ND at least. OSU's had much better luck with their kickers I suppose.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Most people don't remember, but Nugent was a nightmare his first couple seasons. But he came around nicely. Would have lost many games without him.

Still, shooting for a three star at kicker and punter (both will start) is a bit of a stretch. The kicking game might struggles for a year. With our new settings, it could be a factor. Kinda cool to have to think about that when recruiting.

It's a gamble.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

[​IMG]

Check out my AVID page for stats and scouting info on currently signed prospects.

After a great visit during OSU's week four victory over Illinois, the top middle linebacker in the nation, Strongsville native Kasey Gilbert is reportedly ready to sign with the Buckeyes. While LSU has made a run at him in the past few weeks, Gilbert appears unswayed by the Bayou Tigers, and has his sights set squarely on being the next hometown legend.

"I'm not ready to sign just yet, but the thought of being the next great Buckeye linebacker sure does bring a smile to my face."

(Gilbert is the #1 MLB, and ranked #7 overall)

The Buckeyes may also have found their next big safety tandem, as they are apparently the overwhelming favorite choice for two cousins from Kentucky - 4 star prospects James Curry, from Bellvue, (#13 SS, #123 OVR) and Mike "don't call me air" Jordan, (#8 FS, #118 OVR) from Dayton, Kentucky. It may be a few more weeks, but these two don't seem to be looking anywhere else.

It looks like the Buckeye recruiting class is coming together nicely.

12. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Strongsville.....seriously AG? Oh brother...

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Superman Has Arrived!

[​IMG]

Superman Has Arrived!

[​IMG]
    Gilbert is the top-rated player in the state of Ohio

That's right, folks - Kasey Gilbert is officially a Buckeye!

The 6'2", 248 pound middle linebacker (#1 MLB, #7 OVR) from Strongsville signed his letter of intent today, and the Buckeyes instantly became a better team. This kid is an absolute monster - speed (B-), tackling (B+), block shedding (B), hit power (B), stamina (B) ... and he isn't even a freshman yet. Here's what Coach Griffin had to say:

"Well, Kasey's been the top guy on our board for quite some time now, and we couldn't be happier to have him. With Austin (Spitler) graduating, we need help in the middle, so Kasey might just play right away. Freshmen don't do that very much here at OSU, but Kasey's got something special. Anyone who's seen him play can tell you that."

The signing couldn't come at a better time for the Buckeyes. With the recent change to a 3-4 defensive scheme, and only sophomore Etienne Sabino slotted in the MLB spot for next year, Gilbert might just walk into a starting job, though most expect fellow frosh Justin McConnell from DC to challenge for the job. Also, fellow potential Buckeye and Brook Park native Shawn McCarty (#13 MLB, #220 OVR) might just have enough to make it a three man race, but he'll have to sign before he can take a shot at Superman.

Expect to hear the Buckeye faithful chanting KG's name for the next four years or so.

Check out my AVID page for stats and scouting info on currently signed prospects.

14. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Congrats on getting your man AG. It will be interesting to compare the progression of Gilbert and McFarland. McFarland will likely redshirt next year though. When Brian Smith (now a Junior) leaves, he'll have a chance to play. I'm drooling over my starting LB corps in 2-3 years with Te'o, Filer, McFarland, and one of Posluzny/Fleming/McDonald. They will have USC 2008 ratings.

Looking forward to seeing who ends up in that starting slot for you next year.

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I knew the D I wanted to change to would require a good MLB class, and even if I fill in with three star guys, I have that good class. Now, if I can just find a big fat tubbo DT to clog the middle, I should hold my own against the run.

16. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Are you thinking about a 3-4? I played a multiple D last year and the beginning of this year, but I've switched to 3-4. I just have too many good young LB's to not have them on the field. And I like the 3-4 playbook better than the multiple D playbook, which has a lot of different formations, but pretty generic plays.

17. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Thats because there is nobody else to cheer for(y)

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

[​IMG]

Well, the Bucks lost to Penn State, and lost #1 DE prospect John Louis in the process, but we did manage to sign the safety tandem we've been chatting up lately. Curry and Jordan signed, bringing the class to eight guys total - so far. We'll see how the rest of the year treats us.

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

[​IMG]

2009 Recruits
    In-Season Recruits

Code:
    [b]Pos   Name            	Stars	Rank	40	AWR	Bench 	Squat[/b]
    MLB   Kasey Gilbert   	5	1	4.58	D 	426	705
    [color=#888888]Height: 6-2  Weight: 248  Hometown: Strongsville, OH[/color]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    SS    Curry James     	4	13	4.52	C+	402	365
    [color=#888888]Height: 6-2  Weight: 209  Hometown: Bellvue, KY[/color]
    FS    Mike Jordan     	4	8	4.50	D 	348	365
    [color=#888888]Height: 6-0  Weight: 190  Hometown: Dayton, KY[/color]
    QB    Patrick King    	4	15	4.84	D-	229	310
    [color=#888888]Height: 6-2  Weight: 237  Hometown: St. Clair Shores, MI[/color]
    K     Matt Lynch      	3	7	4.86	D-	229	290
    [color=#888888]Height: 6-1  Weight: 194  Hometown: Eastlake, OH[/color]
    CB    Tyrone Malone   	4	30	4.44	D 	235	275
    [color=#888888]Height: 5-11  Weight: 175  Hometown: Mount Pleasant, MI[/color]
    MLB   Joey McConnell  	4	3	4.6	C-	444	690
    [color=#888888]Height: 5-9  Weight: 252  Hometown: Washington, DC[/color]
    G     Glenn Williams  	3	26	5.10	D 	444	605
    [color=#888888]Height: 6-4  Weight: 280  Hometown: Fairborn, OH[/color]
    CB    Eddie Woods     	4	29	4.42	D-	229	220
    [color=#888888]Height: 5-11  Weight: 203  Hometown: Akron, OH[/color]

Just playing with more of the AVID reports. I'm going to edit the code later.​

20. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I have a tip on what I do with my rosters. Since hometowns don't really matter and since the hometown column is sortable alphabetically, I only enter the states with no hometowns. That way I can do a quick sort and see who I have from what states (for pipeline reasons of course). IE. Here is my roster, sorted by hometown through the "c"s.

Column 1
    # Name Year POS HGT WGT Hometown OVR STR SPD Prestige
    68 Total players
    64 LewanTaylor Lewan 1FR 29T 796-7 272 AZ, AZ 77 52 0
    88 RohCraig Roh 1FR 31DE 776-5 225 AZ, AZ 82 85 0
    5 ForcierTate Forcier 1FR 1QB 736-1 187 CA, CA 83 85 0
    6 WarrenDonovan Warren 5JR 17CB 726-0 187 CA, CA 91 94 0
    8 MoutonJonas Mouton 6JR(RS) 30OLB 746-2 218 CA, CA 86 84 0
    36 AndersonTony Anderson 4SO(RS) 17CB 715-11 190 CA, CA 78 88 0
    40 WilliamsMichael Williams 4SO(RS) 18FS 715-11 191 CA, CA 84 89 0
    95 SagesseRenaldo Sagesse 5JR 13DT 766-4 305 CN, CN 83 68 0
    53 WatsonSteve Watson 4SO(RS) 30OLB 766-4 251 CO, CO 81 83 0
    92 BanksGreg Banks 6JR(RS) 31DE 766-4 275 CO, CO 75 74 0

From here I can see that I have 5 kids from California, none of which are SRs, but 2 of which are JRs. This means that I don't need to sign anyone from Cali this year, but if I want to keep them as a pipeline, I'll need at least 1 next year.

On a side note, how do you paste tables from Avid and make them look nice. I always get what seems to be the cell's type and value or something like that, hence all the CA,CA and 1FR, 6JR(RS) things listed above.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

[​IMG]

Week 12 - Just before the biggest week of the season, the Buckeyes reached up north and snagged yet another top 250 recruit. Four star CB Tyrone Malone decided to become a Buckeye this week. Although he'll have a hard time cracking a starting lineup with so many young corners, Malone has a pretty diverse skill set. Malone's not the biggest, or the fastest, but Coach Griffin claims to have seen a number of intangibles in the young corner from Mount Pleasant, Michigan, and is very pleased with the commitment.

Week 13 - In the aftermath of yet another Buckeye win over Michigan, another top 300 recruit has decided to become a Buckeye. Three star ATH Kenneth Crooks signed his letter of intent, and looks to join the Buckeye offense as either a tight end, or perhaps a wide receiver. His combination of skills could make him a good fit at either spot. Coach Griffin had this to say about Crooks: