OK State downs #10 Bama 45-42 in the AT&T Cotton Bowl

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JagNation, Sep 21, 2011.

1. JagNation

JagNation Walk On

Coming into this game, Alabama had been picked to win this game by a landslide. Every expert from top to bottom was saying that the Cowboys D was awful and couldnt keep up with the potent Alabama offense. This was partially true, but the defense did just enough to allow the high power Cowboys offense to stay in the game and get the W.

The momentum really started to turn the Cowboys way early in the third. On a long run, Alabama's star running back Trent Richardson was hit hard and knocked out for the game (and there was a penalty on the play which erased the run). After that, Alabama was still rolling on offense, but they weren't unstopable like they were in the first half.

A key moment came late in the fourth quarter when Cowboys kicker Quinn Sharp, who normally is a reliable kicker, missed an EASY 21 yard field goal which would have put OK State up by 10 late in the game. Alabama capatalized on the opportunity and drove the field and punched it in with 54 seconds left. So with just under 50 seconds left, and 2 timeouts, Brandon Weeden and the offense went to work. They drove the field and set up the game winning 37 yard field goal by Sharp.

"I had to lead us down the field. The last game I was ever going to play in an OK State uniform, against a top 10 team that I despise, it just doesn't get any better. Im gonna miss this team."

OK State is losing some key players this year. QB Brandon Weeden is graduating, and WR Justin Blackmon will most likely be heading for the draft. They are also losing some key defensive guys. "You can't replace a Justin Blackmon or a Brandon Weeden (both hold multiple records at OK State). But we have a great group of guys here that can shape this team for the better. And we have some great freshman coming in. Our D is going to be better, and we are gonna be just fine." Coach Jag said after the game.

Looking foward to next season!

PLAYERS OF THE GAME:
    QB Brandon Weeden- 26/46 386 yards 5 td's 1int
    TE Jermaine Horton- 6 rec 134 yards 1 td
    WR Justin Blackmon- 6 rec 170 yards 1 td