Okay Max, the cat is out of the bag...

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Drifterbub, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Okay Max, the cat is out of the bag...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/colt--mccoy?id=497123

Colt McCoy
    Height:
    6'1"

Weight:
    216 lbs.

Arm Length:
    31 in.

40:

2. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

heights overrated in the nfl at the qb position in the nfl these days look at drew brees he eats the league alive, mike vick good solid qb at 6'0 farves only 6'2 and still a good qb, size means nothing 40 times are overrated. Mccoys arm cant be questions because of the offense type he was it, but look around the league and how many teams just let it fly downfield now days? No one, the accuracy is there so is the arm strength, i dont get how anyone can see Bradford as a more accurate passer when Mccoy has the better completion percentage?

3. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Small as hell

4. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I think this is very interesting on a whole. If you looked at the combine results compared to some of the attributes in NCAA it really makes you scratch your head.

A great example:

Mardy Gilyard
    Combine: 4.5
    NCAA: 94 speed.

I know it's tough to get accurate ratings for all the players, but I think if they didn't inflate the speed ratings of all the players in the game, the game would play much better. The game speed doesn't need to slow down, the players just need to be more realistic. The Clemson WR who ran the 4.28 should be a 98 speed and Gilyard should be like 88. That's not to say they shouldn't have great agility and acceleration though.

Back to the topic though, I always thought McCoy was a lot faster than Tebow. Guess not. I loved it when they showed all the QB's running it together, that was pretty cool.

5. skipwondah33

skipwondah33 Walk On

Drew Brees

6-0

6. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

exactly the size of a QB means nothing its the skills they possess and Mccoy has plenty of skill

7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Please tell me you aren't comparing him to Drew Brees, they are nothing alike.

No where did I say that the height of a QB directly reflects his ability and potential as an NFL QB. However, anyone with any sense will tell you that with the average height of NFL linemen being something around 6'5+'' it makes seeing and throwing over the OL a bit more difficult.

Colt is an accurate passer. But he does not have the arm strength, mentality, size, and durability you look for when you draft a QB. This was my original point.

8. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

mentality or durability? no one knows his mentality better than he does, he has a great work ethic, and how many injuries has he really had?

9. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

Brees is an outliner if you will. To come in here and say size means nothing when it comes to the quarterback position is just ignorant. Its really not fair to bring Brees into it if you ask me, we are talking about a guy with A+ makeup and A+ accuracy.

10. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Well, you know... with cleats and inserts he'll be 6'2+ hahaha.

His height was never really a problem for him though. Also, the line he played behind was big as hell. They were all 6'5 too. I think if he gets put in the right situation he could be a really good QB in a couple of years. I hope he gets drafted late by New England.

That is a pretty weak 40 time though lol.. Hopefully not his best effort.
    Good thing accuracy is more important than speed for an NFL QB.

11. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

Im not saying size doesnt matter and im not comparing him to Drew Brees, im saying that size isnt everything at all like its made out to be, and that brees is a good example of that

12. Hova

He will fall out of the first

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

The 40-time is fine. We all knew aside from Max that the kid wasn't very tall. I like his overall athleticism, it's just gonna be whether he's a good enough QB, none of us are gonna be able to tell until he's in the NFL, IMO...

Him getting completely shut down by Nebraska is a concern but if Shipley is your best receiver then you're hurting. Saw a little of Shipley at the combine and yuck...

14. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I actually like Shipley. He may not be an NFL WR, but he was one hell of a college WR. If you got a chance to watch any of the Texas games last year (aside from Alabama when they stuck Arenas on him) he was always wide open. He's a good route runner and knows how to create separation. He's medical history is a bit of a concern, but he seems to have been relatively healthy for some time.

He doesn't have what a lot of guys look for in an X and Y WR, but I think he might have a shot to find a spot on a team somewhere in the slot.

15. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

His 40 time didn't slow him down when he was runnning away from the Aggies on that 60+ yard run RIGHT UP THE GUT... noone could catch him.

i think his football speed is much better than his 40. I never understood why they run all these drills with no pads. Why? doesn't make any sense.

16. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

It's really hard not to like him but my only gripe is that there are Sun Belt teams with offenses that throw the ball just as much or more than Texas and they didn't even come close to his number of INT's. Some of the INT's were because he is SHORT and they got tipped at the line. Others were because he just isn't as accurate as everyone thinks he is. Yea he is small and Drew Brees is small but the big difference is that Drew Brees is on the money 98% of the time and McCoy is not. And for those who think the BCS Title would have went different had McCoy played you're right: Alabama wouldn't have sold out on some of the blitzes they did to pressure the TRUE FRESHMEN QB, Shipley wouldn't have had the big plays he did, and Colt would have gave the defense of Alabama 2 or 3 more INT's. Yeah he's a great QB...

17. Hova

Shipley will be productive If he has a GREAT qb like manning or brees. If he is on a mediocre team he will do nothing.

18. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Shipley is an ugly son of a bitch, that's his problem.

19. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

He's also a stoner. Did anyone else catch how he looked high as all get out during the National Anthem. If he wasn't high he was pissing his self.

20. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

Throwing 12 picks isnt an every year occurance for MCcoy and he still completed 70 percent of his passes not as accurate as we thought? Please hes more accurate than clausen and bradford but their rated higher bradford only because the pass crazed lets run it up on everybody even the bad teams offense in 08-09. Clausen because his offense that was ran at ND

21. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Running away from a defense that was torched on the ground and in the air for the entire season isn't necessarily anything to boast about. Especially a SS (Pugh) who had already been pulled from the game for an injury. Just sayin'.

A 4.79 is respectable, but it's not the 4.5 that everyone including the University of Texas though he ran. Which is my point.

Tebow ran just under that, but showed how much of an athlete he was in the other drills by outperforming pretty much everyone.

They do these drills and measurements to get an idea of certain abilities. Measurables are measureables and define a small portion of the ability of an athlete. To say someone is drafted based on these drills alone is silly. They do give a brief explanation of why a player is able to do the things he does on the field and why he isn't as good at other aspects of the game.

22. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Running away from a defense that was torched on the ground and in the air for the entire season isn't necessarily anything to boast about. Especially a SS (Pugh) who had already been pulled from the game for an injury. Just sayin'.

A 4.79 is respectable, but it's not the 4.5 that everyone including the University of Texas though he ran. Which is my point.

Tebow ran just under that, but showed how much of an athlete he was in the other drills by outperforming pretty much everyone.

They do these drills and measurements to get an idea of certain abilities. Measurables are measureables and define a small portion of the ability of an athlete. To say someone is drafted based on these drills alone is silly. However, they do provide a brief explanation of why a player is able to do the things he does on the field and why he isn't as good at other aspects of the game.

23. skipwondah33

skipwondah33 Walk On

And no I'm not comparing him to Brees, but the statement was made that Colt was too small or something another. These same things were said about Brees coming to the NFL. I watched a good bit of his games when he was at Purdue and knew he could play, but didn't know how that would translate into the NFL. The same way people feel about Colt making it.

I was simply bringing him because it is the same exact things scouts, critics, coaches and everyone else was saying when he was coming into the league. "Oh he's too small", "He lacks the arm strength", "He cant make it"

Well we see how that turned out.

24. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Well if he doesnt get drafted, atleast he has practice at crying during interviews.

25. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Thess scouts are so intelligent lmfao. Here is what i have to say about how talent these scouts are

LEAF over MANNING lmfao