OKAY thing to do?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by ThePaw, Nov 17, 2010.

1. ThePaw

ThePaw I'm so seasonal it hurts, baby!

Okay guys, last night in one of my online dynasties I playing the matchup Texas (Me) against a user who was controlling Ohio State.

It had been a huge shoot-out the entire time and with 1:25 left in the ball game it was tied up 42-42. I get the ball back and hit my WR for 60 something yards and could have easiley score to go up a touchdown with a minute left but instead I stopped purposely on the two yard line and got tackled in bounds. Now this guy was running all over me as he had 180 yards on the ground and I just couldn't stop it so I definitely did not want to go into overtime. I kneeled the ball infront of the goal posts and made him burn his three timeouts and kicked the game-winner with 13 seconds left.

Now, it was the smart play to do but I honestly feel bad. I feel like it was sort of in poor sportsmanship to just stop on the two like that, but I want to know your thoughts. Was it an okay play to make against another user? The dude I was playing said he wished I would have gave him a chance but admitted it was a smart play call to do what I did. He didn't complain or anything as he's a cool guy but I was wondering if you thought it was unsportsman like of me to do so.

Here is the play in question (from two angles): http://www.easports.com/dynasty?_us...E177C0&dynid=81098&sku=661A0001&sid=3&wknum=1

Thanks.

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

As an Eagles' fan I say what you did was brilliant... some dudes will get emotional but if you did that ish to me I wouldn't be mad... Good call

3. DC

DC Shake n Bake

As the commish of the league....it was completly fair...I would have done it

4. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Well played in my book. I have lost games because I scored too quickly in a see-saw battle.

Mike

5. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

yea that's just strategy, it's been done probably a million times in real life, on here, etc. I wouldn't feel bad, there is no rule that says you HAVE to run into the end zone lol. Good strategy, you should pat yourself on the back

btw, Dabo is not the problem lol...and he'll be the head coach at least another year or two

6. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

LMAO

7. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

lol

I'm not just pulling it out of my rear as a fan, It was released last week by the Athletic Department and our board of trustees. but lets not head down that road and hijack this thread

8. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Irl, you always take the points if you're tied. I'm pretty sure when MJD kneeld it at the 1 the Jags were up by 1 and that's different. but this isn't real life and video game defenses aren't as good as their real-life counterparts. I just try to nonchalantly milk the clock and have the ball last. You don't want to get too cute, imo, because what if your rb is stripped on the 2 yard line as you're running dives to kill clock? Irl, you have to let your D win some games.

9. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I have scored in those instances and the user I was playing came down and scored to tie or win whatever case it was. Not scoring to milk the clock and force your opponent to burn timeouts is not cheese or cheap. It is strategy and a smart thing to do.

10. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I'm just surprised your guy didn't fall forward into the endzone getting hit from behind and only 2 yards away

11. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

great strategy IMO..to many times in TF has a guy scored like that and then his opponent drives to score quickly..

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I usually try to go by sim. If you guys say that this has been done a lot IRL then o.k. but I've never seen it... Watching football for 20 years or so and I've never seen a team turn down points when tied. Because IRL you could miss the FG, or not be able to get it into the end zone, or something.

it's a smart video game move but we're going for sim football.

13. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

for real? you 've never see a player go down before the goal line so his team can chew up the clock? and then score?

14. DirtycashDylan

or the FG could be blocked! something that would never happen in this year's NCAA.

15. T2

16. ThePaw

Thanks for your input guys. The only reason I started the thread was to know if it was a smart video game move and wasn't in poor sportsmanship. I strive to be sim and compete with other people in good sportsmanship and just made the thread to see what people thought about it.

17. DirtycashDylan

I don't get why Westbrook did that. If he scores, it's a 2 possession ball game and Dallas has no TOs. Eventually, you have to let the defense do it's job.

18. ThePaw

Well they could run out the remaining clock there instead of relying on their defense. Anything can happen in football, Dallas could get a quick touchdown and then a onside kick. It may seem like a very low chance of all that happening but there is always the possibility it could. Better to just get away with the win right there.

19. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

20. T2

i knew after i said that, you would reply with that, but irregardless how long you have been watching football, you haven't seen every one of them. I dont think its unsim. its relying on your offense instead of your defense. i call it sim. even in IRL

21. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

In my opinion it is simply not sim and I would not be o.k. with somebody doing this to another person in T1, if the game is tied. If you have the lead? Totally cool.

22. T2

how is not sim and uncool? all your doing is using your offense as your defense. why should you have to score?

23. DirtycashDylan

True but I've also seen crazy things happen with an offense whether it be a bad snap or a false start stopping the clock or whatever. Not to mention Dallas hadn't scored a TD all game and it was obviously a defensive game.

but even still, a tie game is different and you can't turn down the lead no matter what. IRL anyway.

24. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

hope someone does it to you Helli just in the spite of you!

25. T2

so because you have never seen it and your not exploiting a flaw in the game, that automatically makes it unsim?