Oklahoma, A&M to SEC?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by tuco418, Jul 21, 2011.

1. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    The talks are heating up again. Texas is likely to go independent. I don't think anyone cares. There problem is that the NCAA could step in and strip down their network. Then they are left with limited network revenue and no conference revenue.

3. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I don't think that would be a bad idea. Ark and Texas am. Already have the rivalry game

4. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

From an OU perspective, it looks like we're content for the most part. We feel like Texas already has more money than God so what's another 100 million. They always get who they want inside the state of TX as is unless we're dominating them. Luckily, they don't know what to do with talent.

but we'll see. Joe Castiglione (OU AD) has basically feigned ignorance about fans being unhappy with the current situation.

5. DirtycashDylan

300 mill, excuse me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Erik the Red

Erik the Red Walk On

My Huskes don't look like they were so far off in their knowings that Texas would eventually try and take over the world. They should just remake the Big 8 one of the greatest conferences ever.

7. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Yea I agree with DC. OU looks like they are in no hurry to get out and why would they be? They've got a ridiculous amount of Big XII championships and have a legit shot at a national championship every year.

Just look at what they have done since the turn of the millennium and 00 Title, 01 Cotton Bowl Win, 02 Rose Bowl Win, 03 BCS Title Game Loss, 04 BCS Title Game Loss, 05 Holiday Bowl Win, 06/07 Fiesta Bowl Losses, 08 BCS Title Game Loss, 09 Sun Bowl Win & 10 Fiesta Bowl Win. The Big XII has been an absolute blessing for them. The only way I could see them getting out is if Texas finds a way to stop squandering so much talent and goes on a run similar to what OU has been on or if they conference really looks like it's going to fall apart.

As far as the Aggies go they seem to have the grass is greener in the SEC mantra which should be entertaining. Gotta love the most delusional fan base in college football.

8. Erik the Red

Erik the Red Walk On

I think Oklahoma is going to get tired of being the conferences best product and still get treated like the second favorite child, that takes it's toll, especially when I bet they have a chance to make a lot more money in the SEC or even the PAC-whatever it would be.

9. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

They should go to the SEC and join the delusional fan bases of Arkansas, Mississippi State, etc. who think they will win NCs every year.

10. DirtycashDylan

OU knows they can go to pretty much any conference and be welcomed with open arms, more so than Texas, so it's hard to feel like a #2. The reason OU isn't worried is because the OU higher ups want to start an OU network, too.

It wouldn't be viable, just like LHN won't be viable. The only reason ESPN gave UT such a head scratcher of a deal is to keep the Big XII from disbanding and keep superconferences at bay, imo.

11. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

As an Alabama fan I welcome expansion of the SEC, especially if OU and A&M were included. The only thing is I don't really see how the SEC would go about realigning the conference. If you go with the current East/West split you are looking at putting Auburn in the East and Alabama in the West. Even if teams have a "locked" rivalry every year, they would be forcing Alabama to choose between their in-state rival, Auburn, and the team we love to hate, Tennessee. I know I am looking at this as a homer but both of these games draw a great deal of money every year.

The logical choice would be for them to go North/South. Could you see this:

North
    OU
    Texas A&M
    Arkansas
    Ole Miss
    Vanderbilt
    Kentucky
    Tennessee

South
    Alabama
    Auburn
    Florida
    Miss State
    LSU
    Georgia
    South Carolina

The south would be brutal the first couple of seasons but it could eventually work itself out.

12. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

Texas should just make the LSC - Lone Star Conference

13. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

There's no way that they'd split up the teams like that from a competitive standpoint as the South is too stacked. Also, you did this so you wouldn't have to split up Auburn/Alabama, but then you went and split up MSU/Ole Miss.

14. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Read some stuff in the paper on the big12 media day and it just sounds like A&M and Vriginia Tech would be more likely to join the SEC than AM/OU would. That way the SEC could tap into the DC market. And OU probably wont go to the SEC without Okie St due to the number of osu alums on the board.

15. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I'd say there's no more Big 12 within three years. (And then does the Big Ten rename itself to the Big Twelve? Or continue to call itself 10 when it has 12 teams). I've read a few other articles on this and the big problem is the schools really don't have any real tie to the conference itself. It was formed more out of convenience and necessity over tradition or identity.

Big Eight? I don't think that mold fits college football any more. There's just too much money in having a conference title game both in regard to get revenue but also a big bargaining chip when negotiating TV deals.

And the SEC might try and gobble another two teams from what was mentioned above, create a 16 team super conference and split East vs. West.

(The crazy speculation there is it might open the door for the Big East to go and grab Kansas - not for football but to add to its basketball lineup).

16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Not really a head scratcher. Texas has a much, much, much bigger market than OU.

Kansas and Kansas State.

17. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but the Big Ten will always call itself the Big Ten regardless of how many teams are in the conference. It's a name brand thing. When you say "Big Ten" anyone that follows college sports knows exactly who you're talking about just like if you were to say SEC, ACC, Mountain West, or Big East.

18. DirtycashDylan

Well yes they do, but I'm not talking about UT vs OU markets. ESPN practically gave UT 300 mill for nothing. ESPN is doing ALL the work and UT is providing womens volleyball content, etc. Even if Texas' market (which I live in and know how big it is) was 5x as big, it'd still be a head scratcher of a deal. Unless you look at the deal from other angles. There is no way, NO WAY, the LHN will make ESPN money.

19. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    ESPN paid for brand recognition and to act as the hub for Texas sports. Unfortunately for everyone involved, the NCAA is stepping in and saying that the LHN can't air high school games, which was going to be a big revenue generator for them.

The sad thing is that they are going to sell a lot of subscriptions to the LHN. ESPN had to have some motivation behind it. It has to be money, even though the source of which may not be completely obvious.

20. DirtycashDylan

FIFY

21. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:

Our recruiting has nothing to do with the LHN, lol. However, you could argue that it has something to do with the glamour of Texas shady-ass program surfacing after last year. These kids are drawn to Mike Sherman just as much as Mack or Stoops. Plus, we have Matt Davis reeling in kids for us.

You're welcome for Travis Knight. He's a good QB.

22. DirtycashDylan

It won't affect your recruiting? Tell that to the rest of your fan base. texags.com

Mike Sherman straight up refused to do an interview with LHN at media days.

And to think these kids are drawn to Sherman as much as Stoops or Mack is some serious homerism, my friend. Sherman hasn't done a damn thing in the college game.

Matt Davis is a midget who is recruiting other midgets. I've seen the video and it's comical.

Trevor Knight wasn't our first option but it is what it is. Heupel likes him and you gotta trust in Heupel by now. Ever since the Bomar fiasco, Stoops has taken a QB every class, regardless. Gunner Kiel is afraid of competition so F him. He can either spend 4 years on his back at Indiana or handing the ball off at Bama.

On the other hand, Corey Nelson will see a ton of minutes this year so thank you for him. ;)

23. DirtycashDylan

Prepare to be destroyed in Norman this year.

24. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Alabama passes the ball more than you think. They might not as much as Oklahoma but that's because Alabama CAN run the ball.

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Do yourself a favor and stay off texags. There are 100 other sites for better Aggie information. There are so many trolls and kids on that site. I hope you don't actually think that is a representation in any form of our fan base. If you do, you should come to game in CS. Especially when OU comes to town.

You misunderstood what I'm saying. Since when does a coaches success directly reflect his draw? Mike Sherman connects with kids. Not saying he is the best coach in the world or the best recruiter in the world. But you have to admit that since he got the job, he hasn't had much success to recruit on. Like it or not, kids have been buying into him as a coach and into his program.

Hate to break it to you buddy, Matt Davis is listed as and is all of 6'2''. And you don't have to be tall to play running back, slot WR or DB. All positions where he has brought recruits in.

Corey Nelson is a shithead, but an incredible athlete. Trevor Knight is a good kid and a good QB. Corey played us and left, but Trevor did what he had to do. With the commitment of Kohl Stewart for 2013, he realized the situation he was going to be in.

You said the same thing last year about the game in CS... I could say that I care if we win in Norman this year, but I would be lying.