Old Blog

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Bulldog, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last Season: 10-4 (6-2)

Florida State is looking to win the ACC this year. With EJ, Thompson, Bradham and Jenkins there chances are good but having to go up against coach Mayernick, Ingram and Jones that will be no easy feat. Coach Davis is new in town and is looking forward to this season and the hopefully many more to come. Look for Florida State to not go down quietly as no team can compare to there heart. Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

Key Players:
    • QB #3 EJ Manuel 89ovr
    [​IMG]
    EJ Manuel looks to lead the Seminoles this year to an ACC Title and hopefully a National Championship. With help from HB Chris Thompson and a stacked line-up at wide receiver that shouldn't be a problem.

• HB #23 Chris Thompson 90ovr
    [​IMG]
    HB #23 Chris Thompson looks to win it all this year and with help from QB EJ Manuel and a stacked WR line-up that shouldn't be a problem. Look for CT to run all over your team this season.

• RE #49 Brandon Jenkins 94ovr
    [​IMG]
    ALL-AMERICAN DE #49 Brandon Jenkins looks to dominate any offensive line this season and it shouldn't be too much of a challenge for him. Look for Jenkins to be in your backfield as soon as the ball is snapped.

• ROLB #13 Nigel Bradham 93ovr
    [​IMG]
    With this being Nigel's last year you best believe he's gonna make an impact. Look for him and Jenkins to lead this defense to a National Championship. Oh and you might wanna wear that mouth piece when Nigel comes to town.

Offense:
    On offense the Seminoles are in pretty good shape. They have a good quarterback, running-back, full-back, and wide-receivers and don't forget the offensive line. With quarterback EJ Manuel taking the snaps you best believe they are a favorite to win the ACC this year. The Seminoles also have depth at all positions except full back. Look for the offense to come out firing against your defense and watch out for that sneaky running back he may just surprise you. With running backs Chris Thompson, Ty Jones and Jermaine Thomas in the back field you best believe your defense will be worn out in the 4th quarter. Let's not forget about the buffet busters up front now, they are the reason these backs have success this season. Bottom line look for the Seminoles to wear your defense down.

Defense:
    On defense the Seminoles aren't lacking but they aren't the greatest either. You will probably be able to move the ball but lookout for the big hits and injury's because we all know the Noles don't mess around when it comes to there defense. When you have defensive-end Jenkins and outside-linebacker Bradham you don't worry about offenses tearing you apart. The defense also has alot of depth with only 4 seniors. Yeah they are young but hey come next year when you are needing to recruit a butt load of defensive players FSU will only be going after the best of the best. Bottom line wear your mouth piece Mr. Quarterback the Seminole defense is coming to town.

2. Bulldog

reserved for team previews

3. Bulldog

reserved for team previews

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

PAC 12 2011 CONFERENCE PREVIEW

This past off-season saw the former Pac 10 take a huge leap, becoming the newly named Pac 12 by adding the Colorado Buffaloes and the Utah Utes. What does this mean for the conference as a whole? Colorado doesn't do much for the conference as far as overall talent goes, but at least the Buffaloes got rid of that high school coach Dan Hawkins. Colorado will play well in some games, but my guess is they are on their way to being a bottom dweller in this conference (good news Washington State, you might be done finishing last every year!) New head coach Jon Embree, who was coaching TE's for the Washington Redskins prior, returns to his alma mater to try to get the Buffaloes back to their Rashaan Salaam glory days (Google him kids). Here's to hoping Embree can get CU out of the free fall they are currently in, and help add to an already soft South Division.​

Oh yeah, the "other team": the Utah Utes. Utah ditched the growing Mountain West conference to join an officially "BCS" conference (the MWC was well on its way). Surprising many football fans however, especially those that pack Rice-Eccles Stadium every Saturday, Utah head coach Kyle Wittingham jumped at an offer to be the offensive coordinator for the NFL Arizona Cardinals. Wittingham amassed a 58-20 record at Utah in just 6 seasons, and really turned the program around after Urban Meyer left for Florida. Enough about the past though, as in steps Head Coach Kapono. Kapono was a towel boy for the Florida State seminoles, when out the blue a desperate Utah athletic director (who shall go unnamed, because frankly I don't know his name) offered Kapono the job. One thing led to another, and we shall see what the new coach can do with a potent offense and a pretty darn good defense, I'll save my prediction for later.​

Other teams that will be covered (Users) at this time are Oregon, Oregon State, and USC. Beginning with the Ducks, Head Coach Chip Kelly was recently fired after the recruiting scandal that sprouted around Lamichael James and Lache Seastrunk. As of press time, neither James nor Seastrunk will face any punishment by the NCAA. Mike E will step in at the helm. Coach Mike will have a golden opportunity from the get go, as not many coaches are handed so much talent and expectations from the get go. James, quarterback Derron Thomas, and cornerback Cliff Harris are all potential All Americans and should be some of the best at their position in the conference. Will coach Mike deliver with the talent, or will the Ducks spin out in their quest for a trip back to the title game?​

47 Miles up US Interstate 5, the Oregon State Beavers are looking for new life under new Coach Kasper. Kasper doesn't have quite the shoes to fill that Mike E does in Eugene, but expectations are still solid. Oregon State loses star running back Jacquizz Rodgers to the Atlanta Falcons via the NFL draft, but brother James Rodgers looks to be good to go after a season ending knee injury in 2010. Rodgers will undoubtedly be the spark plug for Kasper's pro style offense, though the new guy has stated many times the offense will be predicated on a solid running game. If Oregon State can get solid line play on both sides of the ball, there is talent at the skill positions along with the back 7 of the defense to possibly make some noise in a top heavy North division.​

Down to sunny southern California, and the USC Trojans. Former head coach and current asshole Lane Kiffin has again jumped ship to rejoin the Oakland Raiders, this time in a front office role. Not much can be said about Kiffin, so I won't. ANYWHO the new man on the block for the Trojans will be Coach Jandy. Jandy is known for his potent offenses, and given the recruiting abilities that come with USC, not to mention the talent that is already there (especially at the WR and QB positions) it would be a safe bet to assume Jandy will have instant success with the Men of Troy. USC will likely start the season just outside of the Top 25, and for a program with such a storied history (especially recently) I look for that to really serve as motivation for this team to challenge for the inaugural Pac 12 crown.​

[​IMG]

At least we got the good to join us...​

[​IMG]

And at least Colorado is good for something...​

Preseason All Pac 12 Team

QB - Andrew Luck, Stanford​
    HB - Chris Polk, Washington​
    Lamichael James, Oregon​
    FB - Ryan Hewitt, Stanford​
    WR - Jevon Kearse, Washington​
    Juron Criner, Arizona​
    James Rodgers, Oregon State​
    TE - Coby Fleener, Stanford​
    LT - Jonathan Martin, Stanford​
    LG - Carson York, Oregon​
    C - Tevita Stevens, Utah​
    RG - David DeCastro, Stanford​
    RT - Mark Asper, Oregon​
    LE - James Brooks, Arizona State​
    RE - Junior Onyeali, Arizona State​
    DT - Terrence Stephens, Stanford​
    Alameda Ta amu, Washington​
    LOLB - Chase Thomas, Stanford​
    MLB - Shayne Skov, Stanford​
    ROLB - Paul Vassallo, Arizona​
    CB - Omar Bolden, Arizona State​
    Cliff Harris, Oregon​
    FS - John Boyett, Oregon​
    SS - Delano Howard, Stanford​
    K - Ron Beard, Oregon​
    P - Daniel Zychlinski, Stanford​

[​IMG]
    Stanford QB Andrew Luck​

[​IMG]
    Oregon FS John Boyett​

Honor Roll

Best Overall Player - Stanford QB Andrew Luck​

Fastest Player - Oregon RB Lamichael James​

Strongest Player - Utah RT Pou Palelei​

Smartest Player - Stanford MLB Shayne Skov​

Best Hands - Oregon State WR James Rodgers​

Best Arm - Stanford QB Andrew Luck​

Best Tackler - UCLA ROLB Sean Westgate​

Hardest Hitter - Oregon CB Avery Patterson​

Best Cover Man - Oregon CB Cliff Harris​

[​IMG]
    Oregon State WR James Rodgers​

Preseason Rankings

#3 Stanford​

#5 Oregon​

#25 Arizona State​

#29 USC​

#31 Utah​

#45 Oregon State​

#49 Washington​

#55 California​

#56 Arizona​

#80 UCLA​

#89 Colorado​

#93 Washington State​

Predictions

North Champion: Oregon​

To much talent for Oregon to lose the division. Games against Stanford and Oregon State will be tough, but I expect the Ducks to be focused for both of those.​

South Champion: Utah​

Tough call between Utah or USC, but I think Utah will surprise everyone and beat the Trojans. Don't sleep on the Grand Canyon State either, some NFL talent there.​

Conference Champion: Oregon​

Again, I just think there is too much talent for new coach Mike E in Eugene. If Utah does win their division, there will be points a plenty in the inaugural title game.​

MVP: Oregon QB Darron Thomas​

Offensive Player of the Year: USC QB Matt Barkley​

Defensive Player of the Year: Oregon FS John Boyett​

[​IMG]
    USC QB Matt Barkley​

jandy , Kapono , Mike E , hope yall enjoyed the first blog entry! Please do discuss!​

• Like Like x 5
  5. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Pac-12 will overtake the SEC as the best conference soon enough. And if Kasper doesn't bolt for his RTG or offline dynasty we can have the best blog too :cool:. Also Stanford is no joke (as a just played a play now game vs. Andrew Luck and his boys). Watch out because the Cardinal will be serious contenders in the North Division.

6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

It wouldn't surprise me if they beat me (they should) but I don't see Mike losing to them.

And quite funny with the RTG and offline

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Awesome job man, thanks for putting the effort into this that you did. I'll get my preview up soon.

8. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

I thought so...lol

9. jandy

jandy Walk On

No love for the Trojans for Pre-season AA's I see!

It's all good, Barkley and the boys are gonna bring it this season (y)

The write-up looks great, Kasper. Keep up the good work and not only will the Pac-12 be the most competitive conference, we'll have the best blog too ;)

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

haha i just went off what the game picked jandy

11. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]
    PSU 0 - 19 Utah

In a pretty even matchup, Utah and their defense took a 3-0 lead at halftime. Although Penn St. couldn’t move the ball well, they were still in the game. Midway through the 3rd quarter, Utah converted on another FG to take the lead 6-0. On Penn St.’s next possession, they were sacked and linebacker XXXXXX returned it for the score to make a 12-0 lead. Utah’s Thretton Palamo added a rushing TD in the 4th to effectively end the game.

The story of this game was Utah rush defense. They held PSU HB Silas Redd to 23 yards on 11 carries and the D-Line racked up 3 sacks.

HB Thretton Palamo was impressive in his college football debut. The formal rugby player ran for 125 yards and almost 5 YPC and added a score in the 4th quarter.

Utah has silenced some doubts about not being able to play in a BCS conference, but next week’s matchup will be their 1st ever Pac-12 game. USC awaits in what should be a very good game.

Utah Standouts
    Jordan Wynn (QB)- 10-16 for 142 yards
    Thretton Palamo (HB)- 26 carries for 125 yards, TD
    Kendrick Moeai (TE)- 5 receptions for 72 yards
    Dave XXXXX (#51 OLB)- 3 tackles, 2 TFL, fumble return TD
    Star Lotulei (DT)- 4 tackles, 2 TFL, sack
    Matt Martinez (OLB)- INT
    Keith McGill (SS)- INT

Team Stats
    Stat Penn St. Utah
    1st Downs 9 14
    Total Offense 185 255
    Pass Offense 183 142
    Rush Offense 2 115
    Turnovers 3 2
    T.O.P. 11:16 16:44

Screen shot 2011-07-21 at 2.31.13 PM.png

12. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

RMG BIG 10 CONFRENCE PREVIEW

The RMG 2011 season brings many changes to landscape of college football , with many teams jumping to different conferences , and the Big 10 is right in the mix of all the shake up. The 2011 season will be the first season with the Big10 have a 2 division format , and a conference championship game in Indianapolis at the end of the year.

The Big10 is looking to once again regain it's status as the premier college football conference , and to do that the must perform well out of conference and it bowl games this year, where they have struggled in the past. Last season Big 10 teams were 3-5 in bowls games, including 0-5 on New Years day, with 2 blow out losses to SEC teams.

Nebraska's addition to the Big10 is only the second addition to the conference in the last 60 years , so needless to say things are not always on the cutting edge in Big10 country …. but times they are a changin' and the Big10 is looking to become a front runner again. This year they should get some early chances with non conference games against power : LSU , Oregon , Alabama ,Miami and Auburn. If the Big10 can make some noise against these teams look for the conference to get an early rise in the polls.

PRE SEASON ALL BIG 10 TEAM:​

QB​
    DENARD ROBINSON-MICH​

RB​
    EDWIN BAKER-MICH STATE​
    MONTEE BALL-WISC​

WR​
    MARVIN MCNUTT-IOWA​
    DEREK MOYE- PENN ST​
    DEVIER POSEY-OSU​

TE​
    KYLER REED-NEBRASKA​

OT​
    RILEY REIFF-IOWA​
    JEFF ALLEN-ILLINOIS​

OG​
    JOEL FOREMAN-MICH STATE​
    KEVIN ZEITLER-WISC​

C​
    MIKE BREWSER-OSU​

DE​
    NATHAN WILLIAMS-OSU​
    CAMERON MEREDITH-NEB​

DT​
    MIKE MARTIN-MICH​
    JARED CRICK-NEB​

LB​
    MICHAEL MAUTI-PENN STATE​
    LAVONTE DAVID-NEB​
    CHRIS BORLAND-WIS​
    ANDREW SWEAT-OSU​

CB​
    ALFONZO DENNARD-NEB​
    SHAUN PRATER-IOWA​

S​
    TRENTON ROBINSON- MICH STATE​
    BRIAN PETERS-NW​

K​
    DEREK DIMKE-ILL​

P​
    BRAD NORTMAN-WISC​

KR​
    DANIEL HERRON-OSU​
    KESHAWN MARTIN-MICH STATE​

OFFENSEIVE FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR​
    QB BRAXTON MILLER – OSU​
    Braxtonmiller.jpg

DEFENSIVE FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR​
    OLB JAKE RYAN – MICH​
    jakeryanmichiga.jpg

BIG TEN OFF PLAYER OF THE YEAR​
    EDWIN BAKER-MICH STATE​
    Edwinbaker.jpg

BIG TEN DEF PLAYER OF THE YEAR​
    MICHAEL MAUTI-PENN STATE​
    mauti.jpg

BIG TEN SURPRISE OF THE YEAR :​

taylormartinez.jpg

In what I have as a big upset in the awards race I have Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez taking home the Heisman. Nebraska has a long tradition of QB's getting consideration for college footballs top award, and Martinez will be the next in line. If the Huskers can keep him healthy watch for him to rake up some hardware.

The 2011 season will certainly be an important season, as well as an unpredictable one. Anything can happen in college football, and here are my predictions for the conference championship race.

LEADERS DIV:

1. OSU

2. WISCONSIN

3. PENN STATE

4. ILLINOIS

5. PURDUE

6. INDIANA

LEGENDS DIV:

1. MICHIGAN STATE

2. NEBRASKA

3. MICHIGAN

4. IOWA

5. NORTHWESTERN

6. MINNESOTA

BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP PREDICTION:

OSU 35
    MICHIGAN STATE 17

brutusbuckeye1.jpg

It has been many years since Sparty has fielded a team this talented. Michigan State has a veteran QB in Kirk Cousins , a loaded backfield led by Edwin Baker , and a very stout defense upfront and in the secondary. While many people in the media would take Nebraska from the Legends side the schedule makers did the Huskers no favors, and this I believe will lead to Sparty sneaking into the title game. Michigan State only has two tough road games in conference , while Nebraska takes on Wisconsin and OSU in back to back weeks, and later in the season Penn State on the road. If Sparty can take care of business at home and steal an away game against OSU or Nebraska they should be in the championship game.

On the Leaders side OSU looks to rebound from all the scandal that has tarnished the once highly esteemed program. Led by true freshman QB Braxton Miller, and a talented backfield behind him the offense should look to be fairly explosive this year. The defense will be anchored by a strong front four, which has become a trademark of the Buckeye program. Ohio State will also benefit from having a fairly easy schedule on the road this year, with the only real challenge in conference coming from Nebraska. If the Buckeyes can take care of business at home and come out of Lincoln with a win the Leaders side should be theirs for the taking .

In the Big10 title game I have OSU coming out on top. The Big10 season is a long and hard season, and at the end of the year a team with more depth and a chip on its shoulder will come out on top over a very impressive Sparty.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Beavers Spring Upset on #8 Boise State

[​IMG]
    Senior tight end Joe Halahuni celebrates an Oregon State touchdown in Saturday's action vs Boise State

In a game that many thought would entail a Boise State route of the Beavers, it was OSU who found their stride while grinding out a huge upset of the Broncos. Boise quarterback Kellen Moore, who many have marked as a Heisman trophy favorite went a mediocre 10-19 with 57 yards and an interception. A big factor in the All American's struggles could be chalked up to the pass rush of Oregon State, who sacked Moore 5 times, not to mention a handful of hurries. Runnning back Doug Martin picked up the slack on offense, gouging the Beaver defense to a tune of 198 yards on 15 attempts with a touchdown.​

"If we do not improve on our rush defense, teams like Oregon, Utah, and USC have the talent to roll up some embarrassing numbers on us. I do believe our guys were not as sharp as they can be, and I also believe anytime you are game planning against a quarterback such as Kellen [Moore] you are going to have to give a few runs here and there while you focus on him."​

Offensively, a possible star emerged for Oregon State. Senior I-back Ryan McCants ran for 151 yards and 2 TD's on 25 carries. The 6'1 228 pound senior, who many doubted would even win the starting job, did a great job of putting his head down and getting what he can between the tackles. Head Coach Kasper has stated if his team isn't capable of running between the tackles, his offense quite frankly won't work. McCants possess a sort of jack of all trades, master of none skill set. Junior Jordan Jenkins also tacked on a touchdown on the ground.​

Beaver signal caller Ryan Katz did exactly what he needed to; not turn the ball over and be smart with the offense. In this new offense that Kasper has brought in, a smart quarterback who can read the defense and adjust when needed is vital to the success. Katz went a modest 10-14 to a tune of 140 yards. Ball control will be the name of the game for OSU this season, and they did a great job out of the gate with that gameplan. Here's to a fun year of Beaver football!​

Quotes​
    "Simply incredible."​
    Coach Kasper on WR James Rodgers' one handed diving catch.​

"We were confident we could be able to put pressure on the quarterback, and a great gameplan helped us do that."​
    Junior DE Andrew Seumalo​

Offensive Leaders​
    IB Ryan McCants - 25 att, 151 yds, 2 TD​
    QB Ryan Katz - 10-14, 140 yds, 0 INT​

Defensive Leaders​
    MLB Rueben Robinson - 7 tkls, 2 TFL​
    CB Jordan Poyer - 2 tkls, INT​
    FS Lance Mitchell - 7 tkls​

[​IMG]

14. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

Michigan State came in as the underdogs in this game. But they were able to pull out a 20-14 win over the UNC. Michigan State won the toss but chose to kick first. Renner led the UNC offense. But Michigan States defense was all over Renner this game recording 3+ sacks and stopping runs. UNC was driving down the field but they came up short and was forced to kick a field goal but Barth missed the kick not by much the game still tied at 0. Kirk Cousins came out for his first drive of the game the Spartan running game was alive this game they had a more balanced look at offense though. First play from scrimmage Edwin Baker rushed for 8 yards but that didn't stop, he rushed a few more times but the UNC knew the run was coming and stopped the drive and MSU was forced to punt. UNC came out in shotgun for most of their second chance of scoring and they had much success throwing the ball but MSU came up with a huge sack to stop them on third down. Barth came out for another field goal attempt but this time it bounced off the pole and was once again no good 0-2 now. Michigan State was able to score off of a Edwin Baker 37 yard rushing TD MSU leads 7-0. UNC was putting together a good drive before halftime came but Bryn Renner under threw one of his receivers and Williams was there to intercept the pass and almost return it for six but Renner stopped him. While MSU tried to push the lead 14-0 Edwin Baker was crushed at 3 and inches so MSU had to settle for a field goal. 10-0 going into halftime. MSU got the ball back after halftime and tried to push the lead but Kirk Cousins made some poor pass decisions and they had to punt. UNC was able to capitalize off of that punt and they were able to score 10-7 now. Then Kirk Cousins came back out and tried to force a pass which was intercepted and UNC scored quickly after that to take a 14-10 lead. Kirk Cousins came back out and tried to throw it again even though he knew what may have but he saw a wide open Keith Nicol and threw it to him for a TD 17-14. In the 4th quarter with only a little time left UNC was certainly driving down the field on MSU tough defense but they came through to hold UNC short it was now 4th and 2 with 3 minutes left. UNC chose to go for it but they were sacked and turned the ball over. MSU tried to score again to take the game out of reach but came up short on 3rd and 1 and they settled for a field goal 20-14. MSU played good conservative defense to close out the game.

15. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Reserved for UNC preview

16. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Thoughts on your teams after the first week my fellow Pac 12 ers? I know some havent played, but impressions after you do?

Was surprised with how effective my RB was. I dont do anything fancy, he just had a nice mix of strength,speed,ag,accel.

Also James Rodgers is quite fun to throw the ball to.

17. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Magazine Cover.png

Schedule Breakdown

We open the season at Maryland and hope to start off Coach JFace907 career with the terps with a loss. Then its 3 straight ooc games where we will travel to Utah, host K State and have one more ooc game TBD(this spot was filled by Bethune in real life). After that we get into ACC play with two rough road games at V tech and at North Carolina and Coach I Peench. After the UNC game we plan on calling them The Heels because we beat the tar out of them. Then 3 straight at home as we host Georgia Tech, Virginia, and Duke, then we travel to face The Noles in what should be a tough one as always against new coach Bulldog. We cap off the season At South Florida where we look to avenge a loss from last season that cost the previous coach his job and then finish things at home hosting Boston College where there wont be any hail mary's. Arguably all our toughest games are on the road and we will have a real test of a season.​

Positional Breakdown

[​IMG]
    QB:Experience wont be the problem, consistency will be. There is currently an open competition between SR Jacory Harris, SO Stephen Morris, and Transfer QB Ryan Williams from Memphis will also take some snaps. No matter what though There will be suitable back ups in case of injury ready to go.​

[​IMG]

HB: Boy oh Boy, Lamar Miller lit up the spring game with 3 touchdowns and big runs over 70 yards, The Fastest of the HB group down in Miami he hopes to re-ignite the strong HB tradition at The U. He has help though with Mike James who the coaches rave about, so much so that they moved other back to the defensive side of the ball. These two will be the crux of the offense and should alleviate some pressure of the Qbs.​

[​IMG]

WR: Potential. Thats the keyword for the WR's, Travis Benjamin and LaRon Byrd have the experience but will need to play more consistent then in years past. Tommy Streeter should be the slot man, he is a practice superstar but hasnt turned that into gameday performance, in his JR year he hopes to change that.​

[​IMG]

TE: The TE group is deep with USC Transfer Blake Ayles leading the way, expect alot of 2 tight end sets with the amount of running that will be going on, but all these TE's are athletic and can catch so if defenses want to load the box they can expect to get burned.​

[​IMG]

OLine: The offensive line returns 4 starters lead by all american Freshmen Tackle Seantrel Henderson and first team ALL ACC Guard Brandon Washington. They will be put to the test this year.​

[​IMG]
    D Line: Plenty of Talent up front and they are strong and deep. Marcus Fortson, and Micanor Regis are back up front as Starters at DT and DE Oliver Vernon who had 6 sacks last year will start at DE and Adewale Ojomo will be at the other end.​

[​IMG]

Linebackers: Sean Spence will be the leader of the defense at the weakside LB spot, many compare this kid to Ray Lewis, he returns his 110 tackles from last season and should be so much better. Ramon Buchanon is on the strong side and has been dependable but will need to excel, a bit of the gap in the middle but Jimmy Gaines or Jordan Futch will fill in there.​

[​IMG]

Secondary: Arguably the strongest Safety group in the ACC and the Country. Ray Ray Armstrong a second team All ACC selection and Vaugh Telemaque the ball hawking hard hitting SS form a dynamic duo and should help each other play more aggressively. A ton of experience was lost at the CB position though with Brandon McGee the only CB with game experience at that position. Jojo Nicols moved down from safety to help out and Freshmen Thomas Finnie has been making noise all off season and will see some nickel action, Lee Chambers the former HB has moved over to Corner as well, his athleticism is there it will just be a matter of learning schemes.​

Special Teams: The replacement of Matt Bosher will be tough, but Kicker Jake Wieclaw and Fr Matt Goudis will contend for Kicking duties while Transfer Dalton Botts or Wieclaw will handle the punting.​

Areas of strength:
    • The Running game and the D line look to be the two biggest strengths right now.
    • Areas that need improvement:
    • The Cornerback position as well as getting some inside linebacker help.

Recruiting Needs:

QB, WR, Oline, CB, Safety

Freshman To Watch:

CB Thomas Finnie, he has had a good spring and should get a ton of action in the Nikel position​

Outlook:

Coach bucsfan is optimistic about this year and thinks he has a real shot of competing for a title, whether that be ACC or National is the question. We will live and die by our running game.​

• Like Like x 1
  18. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

[​IMG]

Penn St Nittany lions 2011 Team Preview

The 2011 Penn St. football team takes the field coming off a heart breaking loss to Florida in the bowl game. The BIG schedule as usual will be no cupcake as the nittany lions take on Nebraska, Ohio st, and Wisconsin in consecutive weeks to end the season. Not to mention two tough non conference games against Alabama and Georgia. New head football coach ctvolfan is replacing a legend in Joe Paterno and just may have bit off more than he can chew with this schedule.​

QB's: Matthew Mcgloin has the early lead even though he is coming off a 5 INT performance against Florida in the bowl game. Soph QB Rob Bolden adds another demension to this offense but just can not seem to put it all together to see the field. Look for some serious competition between these two for the starting QB nod.​

RB's: All everything RB Evan Royster is gone and a much needed boost at this position is greatly needed with the weak QB situation. Silas Redd and Stephfon Green will provide a two headed punch to wear defenses down.​

WR's: The WR group may be the most talented position on the offensive side of the ball. Led by preseason biletnikoff watch list Derek Moye who had 53 catches last season and 8 td's. Others to watch will be Justin Brown and Devon Smith.​

OL: The OL is a senior dominated group that will look to protect the shaky QB position and to bust open huge holes for the new RB's.​

DL: The DL is lead by defensive tackles Devon Still and Jordan Hill both looking to clog holes for the linebackers of Linebacker U.​

LB's: The LB's will have two senior starters in Michael Mauti and Nate Stupar these guys look to provide the leadership that this defense needs.​

DB's: The DB group is lead by D'Anton Lynn who had over 70 tackles last season and 3 INT's. He looks to be the defensive playmaker this team needs and a shut down corner to top the likes of the OSU's and Michigans of the world.​

ST's: Chaz Powell is a dangerous weapon in the return game after averaging 24 yards per kick return with a touchdown a year ago. Devon Smith was just as dangerous with over 12 yards per punt return.​

Outlook: The Penn st football team is young at key positions combined with a tough schedule does not make for a good chance for this football team to succeed. Look for this team to surprise everyone and win a game they shouldn't but also lose a game they should.​

Prediction: 8-4 (6-2)​

Recruiting needs: The biggest recruiting need will come from along the o-line and d-line. Both areas have seniors set to start this season and replacements will need to be found. Another key area will be to find a superstar QB. This team will not win a BIG title without a big time QB. So look for PSU to go after a top notch singal caller.​

[​IMG]

19. ctvolfan

ctvolfan Vol for Life!!

The Penn st nittany lions opened up the 2011 football season with a trip to state with the Great Salt Lake. Although the trip was much more enjoyable than the game was. Penn st took the field looking to make an early season statement that the are for real and are looking to make some real noise in the college football world.

After the first half was a very even match with Utah having a 3-0 lead going into the second half. Coach ctvolfan was pleased with the effort but not pleased with the offensive production. The second half was a total different story after Utah added another FG to go up 6-0. Penn st was driving and into Utah territory as the defensive hit QB Matt McGloin, the ball was fumbled and the Utah LB scooped it up returning it all the way for the TD.

After this play all the steam was let out of the balloon for PSU. They never did recover and the offense just never got in sink all game long. Starting RB Silas Redd was held to only 23 yards all game. PSU had to abandon the running game after it seemed impossible to run against the Utah defense.

Just want to add that Utah is going to be a real player for the Pac 12 and would not be surprised if they win the Pac 12 crown.

The schedule does not play Penn st any favors as Alabama comes to Happy Valley.

20. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

I got a nice pass-catching tight end in junior Kendrick Moeai. Sophomore HB Thretton Palamo will be a force now and in the future. And I was never expecting such a great performance out of my defense.

21. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

bucsfan047 we got shafted. There is no Miami-Utah game this year.

22. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

dang i was looking forward to that one... Ill get you next year.

23. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

I bet you will

24. Bulldog

[​IMG][​IMG]

Seminoles Win Opener

On the opening play FSU HB #23 Chris Thompson broke a tackle in the backfield to run it in for a 78 yard touchdown. Thompson played well all game rushing for 201 yards on 23 attempts averaging 8.7 yards per carry and scoring 2 touchdowns giving him player of the game. Star quarterback EJ Manuel also played well completing 8 out of 14 passes for 235 yards and scoring 2 touchdowns. Another standout was star cornerback Greg Reid who returned a kickoff for a touchdown to jump start the 2nd half for 97 yards. Next week the Noles play USF in what should honestly be a blowout.

25. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

My WRs performed better in-game than I expected. No drops, and crisp routes. As well, Darron Thomas was more accurate than I had anticipated.

I am liking my backup running backs. If James ever goes down, we will certainly take step back, but not a huge one.

Good Week for the Pac-12!