Old-Fashioned Hate takes a turn

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Mogriffjr, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Old-Fashioned Hate takes a turn

Georgia Tech has a record of 2-1 in the 2010 series so far. When these two teams clash, it's called Old-Fashioned Hate. Well this year it took a turn towards the hate.

It all surrounds the departure of FS Cooper Taylor. Taylor, one of the league's top safeties and one of the best Free Safeties to ever grace a Tradition 1 dynasty is in his last year. After he leaves for the pros, there is some question as to who will become that new ball-hawking FS that Coach Moreecemos loves to throw out there.

A LITTLE BACKGROUND
    Coach Moreecemos has been known for having his defense based around tall fast FS. Back in his Oregon days, he recruited a similar beast in Robert Cunningham, a 6'4", 200lb kid with 92 speed as a freshman. He'd wreck havoc all over the field for the Ducks. Before that, guys like Terrell Bonner and Carlos Ziegler were made NFL pros in the defensive system installed by Moreecemos.

Enter FS Cooper Taylor, a 6'4" 195lb SO who has all the physical tools to become a dominant safety in the nation. Blessed with a 94 speed rating as a sophomore, he was already one of the fastest guys on the team, which made him able to cover up plenty of space playing the deep middle. But what made Taylor special was his ability to read and react what's going to happen and sometimes even read the QB's eyes. His 1st year in Moreecemos's system, Taylor had these stats (130 tackles, 18 for loss, 2 sacks, 8 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovered). That year he won the Thorpe award.

"Basically I was told I can freelance out there and become a student of what an opposing team likes to do," said Taylor. "Coach preaches aggressive play out there and extensive studying of film of tendencies of opposing teams." Of course you have only 20 hours of designated time to practice, coach, etc your players during the week but Taylor took the time out to take the film to his dorm and study more.

2010, he continued his dominance on the field. While Taylor didn't amass as many tackles as he did in 09, he tie his total of 8 interceptions from a year ago again, leading many to believe he was ready to go pro after his junior year. In fact, many scouts believed his massive rise to stardom in his sophomore year would have landed him in the top 15 of the NFL draft. Said one scout, "he's drawing comparisons out there to an Ed Reed...he's just everywhere and his hands are impeccable for a safety."

Yet when the 2010 campaign ended, Taylor decided to stay one more year, to hopefully bring Georgia Tech their 2nd title in 3 years. "The teachings that coach gave me, I feel like I owe it to him and this school to hopefully bring back another title to boast around Bobby Dodd stadium," said Taylor.

At that point he was said to be a top 5 pick. His speed makes him one of the fastest players in the nation, his size at 6'4", 197 makes him big and large over the middle and his ability to stay healthy despite being a great player not only playing deep middle but helping in run coverage rounds out the total package for a NFL safety. Teams immediately began to gameplan their offense to stay away from Taylor. With a GT team losing a bit of their defensive talent from the previous years, Taylor became the captain of a defense that was devoid of some talent on getting to the QB.

So far he only has 130 tackles, 32 for loss, 4 sacks, 4 interceptions, 1 TD, 3 forced fumbles. Taylor is a star and GT celebrated his career in a nice ceremony before the Georgia game. "It was pretty emotional seeing the people i went to class with, went to battle out there on the field...it's all ending so soon," said Taylor.

THE TURN
    Georgia Tech obviously saw the need to grab another safety who shared at least some of the attributes that Taylor had. There were a few on the HS trail that would have come in and become part of the GT lore. 6'3", 219 lb Calvin McKenzie was one GT saw and wanted but before they could talk to the kid, he already committed to Florida State. #2 on the list was someone in the Georgia Tech backyard, a kid from North Druid Hills, GA who goes by the name of Willie Vinson. GT and rival Georgia battled for this kid, who again shared some of the attributes needed to play FS for GT, but in the end Vinson chose to play for the bulldogs.

Their #3 option was George Dunn. They started talking to him by all accounts when they felt Vinson was slipping away from their grasp. Dunn immediately took to the liking of the GT staff and became warming up to the idea of playing in Atlanta in Bobby Dodd stadium. Dunn, a 6'3", 216lb beast is ideal for Coach Moreecemos and what he likes out of his FS. Out of Odessa, TX, Coach felt he was getting a stud out of that big time talent poolm of Texas. Then leaked some interesting news out of the Georgia camp.

"Talks out of the Bulldog camp is that Coach Helli has been said to be sweet talking George Dunn into coming to Georgia...to the Bulldogs. Coach knows how bad GT has been recruiting a successor to Taylor and he knows this would be a huge blow to his master plan."

Sure enough, Georgia saw a meteoric rise onto Dunn's list of schools, which only had GT on it by all accounts. In fact by week 12, insiders say that Georgia took the lead.

THE GAME
    Dunn was already scheduled to come to Bobby Dodd stadium to watch the heated rivalry between the two teams but it took on another animal once word got to coach Moreecemos about this discovery. In fact, word was coach was furious about this and wanted to literally blow Georgia out of the water. They showed their dominance over them in the previous two seasons and it didn't matter if coach was sick or anything, he was quote "determined to kick some Bulldog butt."

The result showed a different and shocking change. Georgia, led by their freshman QB beat down the Rambling Wreck 37-17 in Bobby Dodd stadium. The shock was unknown to most of the fans in the stadium but to die-hards who know who's coming into next year's team and what the team is trying to find to plug holes, it was a huge setback. Yes Dunn saw the GT BCS championship title in its case and yes Dunn sat down and had a heart to heart talk with Cooper Taylor but for right now, Dunn saw GT lose to the team that just became #1 on his list. How will that effect his decision? We don't know right now.

The rivalry has taken a deeper turn with the battle of Dunn and whether he'll choose Georgia or Georgia Tech. As if these two teams weren't satisfied with going at each others throats every year, according to Coach Moreecemos, "shyt just got personal."

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Oh no you already typed all this... lol!!! Great story nonetheless.

I had already dropped him off my list

There were two reasons, one I had a pin-head lead and felt I was about to get blown out plus you had the visit. even in a loss you take a big lead. Two, I only looked at him because you told me you were going after another guy -which I typically wouldn't steal a player that I hadn't already decided to go after... Unless it's Georgia Tech.

[​IMG]

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    well that was ANTI-climatic lmao.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA. Hey you could drop him off your list and then we both start battling in the offseason! ?

No? :)

Hey I know you're just relieved the Bulldogs gave you a game, that had to be getting boring.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

lemme rephrase that

I will try and steal a player I find on my own (even if you had a lead). but if you tell me hey I have this other guy (me and rusty/fosh talk recruiting all the time) I won't go add him to my list.

Unless of course we're talking Georgia Tech.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    if so, i woulda lost to you last year instead of this year lmao.

7. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

damn an excellent recruiting piece. Mo and I love the big, fast safeties. Almost play the same way too but here are Terrance Parks last years stats
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10 Column 11
    Name Pos Tackles TFL Sack Int Dfl FF FR TD
    Terrance Parks FS 153 31 8 4 4 3 0 2

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I like my FS to have a decent number of tackles but if he's anywhere near the team lead I'm not happy about it. I know you guys play up close to the box like a LB but I like to leave that to the linebackers :)

It's nice with the FS though since nobody ever blocks them.

9. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10
    Name Pos Tackles TFL Sack Int Dfl FF FR TD
    Terrance Parks FS 153 31 8 4 4 3 0 2
    Nigel Bradham LB 101 10 1 4 4 2 1 0
    Markus White DE 85 30 15 0 0 0 2 1
    Jamie Robinson FS 85 4 0 3 1 1 3 1

Well here is my top 4 last year

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    his defense was on the field in general lol...i can't get crazy sacks like that with anyone on my team....I'ma try another speed rusher alongside the one I have now in Dieke...see how that works.