Ole Miss holds on for big Egg Bowl win, 24-19

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

After taking a 24-3 lead early in the third quarter of their Egg Bowl matchup against Mississippi State, the Ole Miss Rebels fizzled and made mistakes that allowed the Bulldogs to climb back into the game. In the end, they held on for a 24-19 victory.

On their first drive of the game the Rebels had a couple of excellent scoring opportunities but Barry Brunetti overthrew his receiver each time, leading to a field goal. We got the ball back and put together a nice drive as Brunetti was much more accurate. He threw a beautiful pass on a 3rd down conversion to Korvic Neat to set up the score, a 1-yard dive by Fullback Nate Rosario.

We got another 3 and out and Jeff Scott busted loose for what might be the play of the season for Ole Miss. He hit the hole to the left of the line but no hole was there; Fernando Bohana had filled it. Yet Scott wasn't about to go down; he fought off the tackle in the backfield, found daylight to the right, and was gone up the right sideline for a 73-yard TD and a 17-0 lead.

Miss. State kicked a 49-yard field goal to 31 seconds to go to get on the board. In the third quarter we put together our 4th and final scoring drive of the game as Brunetti hooked up with a wide open Jamal Mosely for a 14-yard TD over the middle.

I was facing a choice in my head, as I knew SMLS wasn't just gonna go away. Continue to stay aggressive, or go conservative? I wanted to make sure that I didn't give away a comeback win. On defense we became pretty vanilla, going with a man cover 2 look most of the time and just trying to avoid an easy big play. On offense all we cared about was not throwing a pick 6.

Well, nevertheless we made a key mistake. The Bulldogs kicked a short field goal after being held to 4th and inches, and then a couple of possessions later Marquice Caldwell (Ole Miss) fumbled as we were trying to drain clock. The Bulldogs scored on a 16-yard pass from Tyler Russell to Brandon Hill a few moments later, then successfully recovered the onside kick which set up a couple of nice pass plays and a 4-yard TD rush by Adrian Marcus. The 2-point conversion was no good, making it 24-19. We finally recovered the next onside kick to seal the deal.

On one hand we're displeased that we faded and made key mistakes. On the other hand we're happy that we won a game where we took control early and were crisp on offense. It was nice to see somebody else have the dropsies. It was also nice to not need to go to the shotgun look even one time the entire game, they haven't seen much of our playbook for next season.

GG smlVICTORIES53

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

why is it called the Egg Bowl?

3. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Nice win......how can I thorw those damn INTs vs Ole Miss.......they are only going to get better and harder to beat. Fuck me.

Oh yeah, Nice win!

• Like Like x 1