Ole Miss wins a pair against users in weeks 2 and 3

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]

Ole Miss hangs on against Oregon State in Week 2 Slugfest

Heading into Corvalis the Ole Miss Rebels felt confident about their chances. Coach Hellisan believed his team had some nice talent amd that they would win. Well, Oregon State had other ideas as they were extremely tough on D in the first half, building a 10-0 lead at halftime. Neither team scored in the dreadfully boring first quarter in which Ole Miss drives were typically 3 and out with batted passes, sacks, and other maladies.

Oregon State kicked a field goal in the beginning of the second quarter and then scored on a 7-yard run to make it 10-0 at halftime.

The Rebels returned the favor in the second half as Beaver QB's Blount and Roberts kept throwing interceptions and hte Ole Miss offense finally started gaining some minor traction. Each of the Rebel running backs had an 8-yard touchdown run in the pivotal third quarter, and the Rebels hung on to shut out the Beavs in the second half and win 14-10.

This was one of the more even games I have seen in the stat line - 11 first downs apiece, 237-234 total offense. The difference was probably turnovers, although it less than impressive to parlay our 4-1 turnover advantage into a 4-point win.

gg Coach_III sorry it took me awhile to write anything on it. I felt you outplayed me as I told you before, the picks were the biggest difference and some of that was luck (getting them on my end, and you not getting them)

-

-

Ole Miss stuns #2 Stanford in Dixieland

I always enjoy (or loathe) my games against Hotrod and we were looking forward to this game. We had a 7-0 lead at the end of the first quarter the first time we played it, and Hotrod had a disconnect. So we started again planning on 3 quarters with me having a 7-0 lead. OLB Phil Brink intercepted the Cardinal and returned it for a touchdown, 14-0. Rod's ISP disconnected him again.

So we started planning on 3 quarters with Ole Miss having a 14-0 lead. Long story short, we won 28-21 in the three quarters to make an "official" score of 42-21. The actual game ended at 34-21 after I played the 4th QTR.

The difference in this one was my secondary and picking/choosing spots to aid them with pressure. Rod will kill you if you just pressure all the time and if you hang back. You have to keep switching it up and that is what we did. J. Darby threw 2 INT in the final game, going 18-37 for 277 yards.

Our rushing game was very effective as Marquice Caldwell (23 car, 92 yds) and Jacob Gray (15 car, 91 yds, 3 TD) helped us control the time of possession game convincingly.

Stanford had a 14-7 lead at halftime on a 1-yard run and a 9-yard pass. We then tied the game at 14-14 (effectively going up 28-14) before Stanford countered with a touchdown of their own. Yet halfback Jacob Gray broke through for a 34-yard run to equalize yet again and backup free safety Adrian Purcell intercepted the Cardinal to get us the ball back. Gavin Fine caught a short pass over the middle and perfect blocking helped him score easily from 49 yards out to finish off the Cardinal.

GG HotRod it is always a challenge and fun. I thought our secondary just played so well that you had to be perfect, and your team was only perfect for so long.

2. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Pretty disappointing effort for the Cardinal, the two picks between the discos that put me down 14-0 really took me our of my gameplan. Defense was horrible didn't make any key 3rd down stops. Felt good about the passing game besides a couple bad throws. Oh well, Ole Miss was the better team in this one. GG

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

It was one of those momentum games, I think us being at home was a key there. I think I owe you a road game sometime soon... Although there are a lot of guys who are itching to play the Pac-12 since you guys all have full schedules.

The restarts were interesting because especially the 2nd time (you blundered that throw to Phil Brink on the first restart) our momentum was just completely gonzo, I mean I knew I had a "14 point lead" but other than that Stanford had all the momentum early, I felt we did a pretty good job of just clawing and hanging in there via any means possible... Then came the 3rd QTR which is where we finally got things under control. Always fun.