Ole Miss wins Egg Bowl to effectively become SEC Champs

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Ole Miss wins Egg Bowl to effectively become SEC Champs

We choose not to believe them, but take it for what it's worth. Coach Hellisan and the Ole Miss Staff say they didn't have any idea who was at the top of the SEC East conference.

"We had been too focused on our own shortcomings and issues and working through things this year to really care about much of anything else," said the coach. "The fact that we have thrown more INT's than touchdown passes this year has us in a quandary and we're working our butts off behind the scenes to try and fix that."

If they had known, they would have known the Egg Bowl was essentially for all the marbles. "Getting to play the cpu in the conference championship game = WINNING," said Hellisan.

The 26-6 final score wasn't indicative of what a close game this was. The Rebels settled for two first quarter field goals after the Bulldogs rose up and stopped them deep in the red zone on both occasions. Miss. State tied it up with a pair of field goals of their own before Ole Miss kicked one in from the one-and-a-half yard line just before the half ended. 9-6 was the score, and it wasn't exactly a scintillating game. Defense was ruling the roost.

Both teams ran the ball o.k. but what made the difference was quarterback Bryan Huff (who has had a HORRIBLE season like all the other Ole Miss QB's) got the air game untracked. He actually got lucky throwing 1-2 sure-fire interceptions that WEREN'T.... But big receptions by Gavin Fine (7 Rec, 131 Yds), Marquice Caldwell, and fill-in starter at TE Nate Robertson established inroads toward the end zone in the second half.

Caldwell punched in two touchdowns in the third quarter after those long gainers, and each of the Ole Miss safeties made an interception as the Rebels pulled away. Marquice Caldwell didn't stand out as much in this one as he did in the past, but remained a thorn in the Bulldogs' side and took home the player of the game award with 22 carries, 124 yards, and 2 touchdowns.

gg smls

2. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Congrats. My team is whack. Scarolina twisted my shit.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah I've lost to them before... twice I think.

4. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

I beat the cock shit out of them this year