Olympic Event - Curling

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by H22APWRD94, Feb 13, 2010.

1. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Olympic Event - Curling

Anybody here watch it? Last winter games, I really got into it. It is a great thinking mans game, and as far as strategy goes, is a very complex and involved sport. Just wondering if I am weird, or are there a bunch of closet curling fans?

Mike

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I never watched enough to understand the objective

3. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Awesome game. Don't understand everything about it but I get the concept. We suck though hahaha.

4. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Just noticed, you definitely posted this in the wrong forum though haha.

5. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Wrong forum? This is off-topic, right?

Hova, the scoring ring is like a bulls-eye setup, with each ring out from the middle being a lower value. They throw in an alternating setup, 4 stones for each team. They play I believe 10 innings (like that, with winner of previous inning as the away - last throw). Any stone that touches the side or end is out of play. And for scoring, you get the # of points for you highest scoring stone(s) inside the opponents highest scoring stone. Say you have 2 in the 2 ring, and your opponent has only 1 in the 1 ring, you get 2 points. Highest total at end of 10 wins. Basic overview, and I am probably missing something.

Mike

6. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

What with brushing the ice? Can you make it go faster or slower?

7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I think its made to show appreciation to school janitors, lol. I'd rather watch paint dry on a rainy day...

8. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I love how they have specialized/custom brooms. I think it is an effing hilarious sport. I always try to catch it for a few yuks. Isnt it a national sport in Canada? I think I read somewhere that 3/4 of Canadians go curling at least once a year.

9. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Yes, that is what they do the brushing for. You can actually curl the stone on the ice some 3-4 feet with good technique. If the throw was too light, you brush the ice to keep speed, but the brushing seems to cut down on the bite to effectively hide the stone behind another using the curve generated by the throw. Team sport to the end.

Mike