Olympique de Marseille

Discussion in 'TFL: League 1 Red' started by elprez98, Oct 9, 2011.

1. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

[​IMG]

Olympique de Marseille

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

MATCHWEEK 1

[​IMG]
    Andre Ayew escapes a tackle from a BVB defender

[​IMG] Olympique de Marseille | Signal Iduna Park | October 16th, 2011

OM 1 @ Borussia Dortmund 1

BVB

Goals
    :goal: Lucas Barrios 67'

OM

Goals
    :goal: Diawara (13' Header)

Assists
    Cheyrou

MOM
    Diawara (7.9)

Marseille fans that made the trip to Signal Iduna Park weren't pleased or shocked with the 1-1 draw, but as one fan said they should have been. "That's the M.O. of a manager like ElPrez, his teams always start off slow in league play. So no I am not surprised," said one fan.

The home side came out ready to impress early as Dortmund's maestro, Shingi Kagawa, placed a wonderful through ball to striker, Lucas Barrios. Barrios, fortunately for Marseille, banged it off the post allowing Marseille to breath a sigh of relief. Surprisingly, the ball ricocheted off the post forward, allowing Les Phoceens an attempt at a counterattack. The attack resulted in a corner and Diawara was able to slot home one that was placed well by Benoit Cheyrou.

Now with the lead, Marseille curtailed their attacks a bit as Dortmund pushed forward making a furious attempt to level the match. The pressure eventually paid off in the 67' minuted as Barrios stole a misplace clearance for an easy slot into the bottom of the net.

The remainder of the game was a see saw battle as both teams seemed to be determined to take the lead with great buildups but questionable finishing.

"Do I think we could have won? Of course, but do I think we should have? No. Our effort was there but there was less than stellar execution by the team as a whole out there. We'll have to go back to the training ground and make some adjustments," said manager Elprez.

Merih

• Like Like x 1
  3. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

MATCHWEEK 1

[​IMG]
    Inter star, Wesley Sneijder celebrates a win over Marseille

[​IMG] Olympique de Marseille | Stade Velodrome | October 18th, 2011

OM 1 @ Inter 2

Inter

Goals
    :goal: Pazzini 10'
    :goal: Fanni (OG) 27'

Assists
    Sniejder

OM

Goals
    :goal: Gonzalez 13' (Penalty)

MOM
    Sniejder

Following a less than stellar performance against German giants, Borussia Dortmund, Marseille returned home to France only to find themselves on the losing end of another defensive match. The game opened with both teams probing the opposing defense, looking for an opening. Inter struck first as another poor clearance took a poor bounce for Marseille, allowing Italian striker, Giampaolo Pazzini to slot home an easy goal.

Fortunately for Marseille, the strikes weren't completely inept this match. Loic Remy took a pass from the midfield and turned up the field into the penalty box. Then with one heavy touch, attempted to pass an Inter defender who stuck out a foot for a tackle, but who also missed the ball and clipped Remy. The ensuing penalty was easily converted by Lucho Gonzalez.

The game continued to go back and forth until the 27th minute, when Inter was threatening with a cross from outside the box. The ball was well played by the keeper and the defense, but a clearing attempt by Frenchman, Rod Fanni went awry and into his own net. "I almost never make that mistake. I hate that I let my team down" said Fanni.

There were few attempts after that, but the game held at 1-2 for Inter.

Dylema

• Like Like x 1
  4. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

MATCHWEEK 2

[​IMG]
    Marseille celebrates after an amazing goal by Jordan Ayew
    [​IMG] Olympique de Marseille | Stade Velodrome | October 23rd, 2011

OM 3 @ Sevilla 4

Sevilla

Goals
    :goal: Trochowski 20'
    :goal: Negredo 45' (Penalty)
    :goal: Manu Del Moral 49'
    :goal: Manu Del Moral 51'

Assists
    Manu Del Moral
    Trochowski
    Caceres

Marseille

Goals
    :goal: J. Ayew 29'
    :goal: J. Ayew 39'
    :goal: L. Remy 56'

MOM
    J. Ayew

Les Phoceens have slipped to a dismal start with another loss, this time to Sevilla. The game opened well for Marseille, though. A great run by Remy in the 11' minute, led to a shot that ricocheted of the far post. After a few back and forth attacks, Sevilla was able to open scoring in the 20' minute with a powerful shot by former Hamburg midfielder, Petr Trochowski.

Marseille was able to fire back in the 29' minute when 19-year old, Jordan Ayew, used a stellar first touch to pass his defender and slot home Marseille first goal of the day. "Well it did feel good to get that first goal in by a striker," said the Marseille manager.

Ten minutes later, Marseille was able to take the lead on a wonderful scissor kick by the younger Ayew for his 2nd goal of the day. "Loic (Remy) placed a wonderful ball in and I was able to get to it," said the youngster.

After that, things began to fall apart for Marseille. Just as the half was set to expire, Marsielle defender, Rod Fanni made his 2nd crucial mistake in two games, giving up a needless penalty which Negredo easily put past Mandander. "If I keep making mistakes, I'm sure coach will put me on the bench soon," said Fanni.

Then as the 2nd half opened, Sevilla was in attack mode as they were able to hit Marseille with a quick double in the 49th and 51st minutes. Both goals were headers from crosses. "We just lost all of our shape and that's what happens," said Elprez.

In the 56th minute, Remy gave Marseille a glimmer of hope with a deafening shot from about 28 yards out that sent the crowd to a feverish pitch. "I really thought we were going to at least pull out a draw after that," said Remy who not only scored but assisted Marseille two other goals.

In the 58th minute, Marseille midfielder, Mathieu Valbuena had a chance to equalize from another stellar ball by Remy but it was saved with a reaction kick save by the Sevilla keeper. The game ended 4-3 in favor of the Spaniards.

"It was clear that the team wasn't ready," said manager ElPrez. "We were not in form. I should've made them run a few more practices before we played this match."

Darlon

5. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

MATCHWEEK 2

[​IMG]
    Pastore of PSG celebrates a 90' stunner to beat Marseille

[​IMG] Olympique de Marseille | Parc de Princes | October 25th, 2011

OM 0 @ PSG 1

PSG

Goals
    :goal: Pastore 90'

Assists
    Erdinq

MOM
    Matuidi

Marseille

No Stats

"I really can't believe we lost that," said Loic Remy, the French striker for Marsielle. Remy was referring to a 90' minute goal scored by Javier Pastore of PSG which allowed PSG to turn 1 point into 3. Earning only 1 point in their first four matches, Marsielle look like they may be headed on a crash course towards relegation. Marsielle played relatively well against the PL Red front runners. "We had our chances. A missed header. A shot off the bar. Sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way," said Marseille manager, Elprez. "But it is what it is. You can't cry and you sure as hell can't let it affect your performance for the next match."

6. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

CR7 Held In Check, But Benzema Isn't

[​IMG]
    OM players celebrate L. Remy header at 64' mark

[​IMG] Olympique de Marseille | Stade Velodrome | October 30th, 2011

Marsielle 1
    R. Madrid 2
    Steve Mandanda (GK) :trophy:

Madrid

:goal: 6' Benzema:assist:Alanzo
    :goal: 13' Benzema:assist:Sergio Ramos

Marseille
    :goal: 64' Remy:assist:Cheryou

Marseille found themselves on the losing end of another hard fought battle, this time against Spanish giants, Real Madrid. Real Madrid wasted little time, hitting Marseille "with both barrels." French international, Karim Benzema was able to score from a header and slice through the Marseille defense for his second. "It feels good to win at home here in France again," said the former Lyon star.

Marseille was able to right the ship after the two quick goals, as Marseille answered with a flurry of shots of their own. Benoit Cheryou hit the bar on a free kick attempt from 32 yards out and Andre Ayew was denied by an improbable kick save by Casillas after a beautiful lead ball by Gonzalez. "Although Steve played well, I'm really not sure how he got MotM honors," added Manager Elprez. "The fact that we out shot them and put more on target, I would say that their keeper should've won."

Marseille was able to pull one back after Benoit Cheryou was able to loft a beautiful cross in to Loic Remy for the easy header. During injury time, Marseille did have one more chance. Again, Cheryou played in a nice ball that Remy allowed to go through his legs to the streaking Lucho Gonzalez who missed the ball for an easy tap in. Real Madrid keeper, Iker Casillas dove on the ball after it bounced off the foot of both Gonzalez and a Real Madrid defender.

"Eventually, things will have to bounce our way," said manager Elprez. "We've been in every game to the very last second and things aren't happening for us right now. I just tell our players to keep playing as they have and things will turn around," he said as he left the conference room with a solemn look.

Colemanchu

7. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Tough start for your boys Prez. You were smoking everybody (including myself) in pre-season---just gotta get into a good rhythm.

8. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

I know, I feel like we are so close though. I was running a 3-5-2 up until the match against PSG (AJ). After Darlon (Sevilla) scored 4 on me, I scrapped it. I was getting killed on the counter too much. Defenders were always scrambling.

My defense is definitely at a manageable pace now and I can hold possession well with the new 4-2-3-1. That save Casillas made on Ayew was unbelievable though. Gonzalez is about 40 yards out and Ayew has the speed to get past pretty much anyone. He's playing LAM and Gonzalez places one of the best balls to let him use his speed past the outside shoulder of the Madrid defender. Casillas cuts off the angle for the finesse shot wide, so I go near post and out of nowhere, this asshole does a gotdamn gymnastic split and saves the ball wide. I was PISSED!!! GOTDAMN CASILLAS.

I had 7/8 shots on target the only one off target was the free kick off the crossbar.

Also, no excuses, because Cole played well, but I had to kick my wife off of Skype when Colemanchu scored his 2nd goal. I said, "Sorry you gotta go because Benzema is destroying me right now!"

Everyone in this league is so good, you cannot slack at all.

9. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Hahah Casillas is sick. And yeah bro I was really curious to see how that 3-5-2 would work out. I don't mind tooling around with 3-backs as a surprise every now and then but I definitely prefer a 4-back setup. You can get FUCKED UP in the wide channels and on the counter attack with 3 backs. Still can't believe you lost to Colemanchu though. Guy sux....:(

• Like Like x 1
  10. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

Marseille Can't Catch A Break, But Does Catch A Brazilian Dagger Through the Heart

[​IMG]
    Robinho celebrates the game winner against struggling Marseille

[​IMG] Olympique de Marseille | San Siro | November 1st, 2011

Marsielle 1
    Milan 2
    Thiago Silva (CB) :trophy:

Match Report
    :yellowcard:27' Fanni
    :goal:54' Gonzalez:assist:Remy

:goal: 79' Boateng:assist:Ibrohimovic

:goal: 87' Robinho:assist:Ibrohimovic

"We shouldn't lose these. At some point its got to be a lack of focus, not the football gods," said manager Elprez after losing another match in the waning minutes. Marseille did pretty much everything right against Milan. They won possession at an amazing clip of almost 69% for the game. They had more shots. They had more shots on target. But they again, came up short in the most important column, goals.

Marseille looked like a team determined to win in the first half, passing the ball well and maintaining the lion's share of possession. Two great shots, a screamer from 22 by Remy and a point blank shot within the 6 yard box by Gonzalez both clanked off the post. "On any other day, in any other season, both of those shots go in," said the manager Elprez. "I think those two shots really rocked our first half confidence," he continued. With Milan holding on by a thread, the halftime score stayed 0-0.

In the 2nd half, the game started with more of the same and in the 54' minute, Remy made a beautiful cross to the streaking Lucho Gonzalez for an easy header into the left corner of the net. "We really thought we finally popped the cap off and I think we let our guard down," said the manager. That's when Milan's class began to shine. In the 79th minute, a good ball from the Big Swede, Ibrohimovic to Boateng opened the Marseille defense. Marseille keeper, Steve Mandanda did a great job of parrying the first shot but a fortuitous bounce back to Boateng was all to easy to slot home.

Then comes the shot. With under 5 minutes to play Milan is on another counter. Ibrohimovic again sets a ball in, but this time to the Brazilian legend, Robinho. Robinho from no shorter than 36 yards out, doesn't look at the goal at all, and between three defenders, turns and finesses a shot into the top right corner that Mandanda has no chance of saving. "That has got to be the luckiest shot I've seen in my entire tenure as a manager," said Elprez. "But hey. It counts all the same."

The loss marks Marsielle's fifth loss, as they are looking towards relegation this season. "I don't know what we can do. This and PSG are probably the best we've played all season and we still lost both games." Marseille had better get it together because it gets no easier with a showdown against Spanish giants, Barcelona next week.

RynoAid

• Like Like x 1
  11. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

Marseille Earn a Tie against Spanish Giants, Barcelona

[​IMG]
    Andre Gignac anguished over missed opportunity late against Barcelona

[​IMG] Olympique de Marseille | Stade Velodrome | November 6th, 2011

Marsielle 1
    Barcelona 1
    Alou Diarra (CB) :trophy:

Match Report

OM:
    :goal: 66' Diarra
    :assist: Remy

Barcelona:
    :goal: 45' Villa
    :assist: Fabregas

:trophy: Diarra (7.20)

Marseille faced CL favorite, Barcelona in league play today. In a closely contested battle Marseille was able to pull out a point. "We play these guys in friendlies whenever we get a chance. We feel like playing a team of this caliber regularly can only increase our level of play," said manager Elprez.

The game opened with Barcelona putting on heavy pressure sending in a few shots but none really threatening. Marseille seemed to be a bit slow to start, also not able to get any meaningful shots. Then as the half was expiring, Marseille made the mistake of allowing newly acquired star, Cesc Fabrigas too much space in the box, as he was able to loft a quick cross to David Villa who slotted it past Mandanda. "That was our #1 priority, keeping those midfielders out of the box. We didn't accomplish that," said Elprez.

In the 2nd half, Marseille seemed a bit more focused and began to make a few penetrating runs. Elprez also made a few changes on the pitch. "I took Mattieu (Valbuena) out, because Barcelona was matching out speed. I thought we'd go with a bit more strength." Normally the lone striker, Loic Remy was moved out wide and French international, Andre Gignac was subbed in up front. The move paid dividends as Gignac was able to roam all over the box. Eventually, the added pressure paid off as former Bordeux star, Alou Diarra made a beautiful move in the box to slip past two defenders. His shot ricocheted off the keeper but Diarra was able to put away the rebound.

Marsielle did have a chance to go ahead late. In the 82nd minute, Remy in his new position on the wing, streaked up the right touchline past the defender. The rest of the team recognized the advantage and sprinted behind him. Remy then passed to Gignac for what should have been an easy slot past the overloaded keeper. Unfortunately, the ball clanged off the bottom of the crossbar and bounced straight down without crossing completely into the goal. "Its just how our season has been going this year," said Elprez.

The game ended at 1-1. "I'm happy that we picked up a point. Maybe this will carry us into a better second half of the season." Marseille head to Germany to face Bayer Leverkusen next week.

hedache

• Like Like x 1
  12. elprez98

elprez98 Walk On

Good Run of Play Earns Another Draw

[​IMG]
    Marsielle star Loic Remy scores his 3rd goal of the season against Leverkusen

[​IMG] Olympique de Marseille | BayArena| November 8th, 2011

Marsielle 1
    B. Leverkusen 1
    Steve Mandanda (GK) :trophy:

Match Report

:goal:Remy (19'):assist:Valbuena
    :goal:Keibling (48'):assist:Ballack

Bookings:
    None

Marsielle continued a run of good play, this time against Leverkusen. This was a back and forth affair where neither team really seemed to be in control for too long. Marseille was able to open scoring with a great cross from Valbuena, which Loic Remy soared over the defender to smash home a nice header. "We need more of this. Remy is very determined and just and all around dangerous player in the box," said manager Elprez. Following that score, the game seemed to remain a stalemate for the rest on the 1st half.

In the 2nd half, Leverkusen was able to ante up the pressure. Stefan Keibling was able to tie it up early in the 2nd half. The pressure didn't stop there as the Marseille defense was on its heels for most of the 2nd half. "We were lucky to get a point here," said Elprez.

As the halfway mark of the season is quickly approaching, Marseille has a lot of work ahead to move out of contention for relegation. The next two matches will be crucial as Marsielle has a home & home series against 2nd place, Bayern Munich.

JFace907

13. RynoAid

RynoAid ..