Olympique Lyonnais - Les Gones

Discussion in 'TFL: League 1 Red' started by Krebstar425, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Krebstar425

Krebstar425 Thee Mighty DFB

[​IMG]

Olympique Lyonnais have come to TFL League One under the guidance of the former Borussia Dortmund President and Chairmain 'Krebstar'.​

Team news, including who will manage the side is set to be released very shortly, but for now all we know is they're one of the many new faces in League One this year and they'll be the only French side in the league, after Bordeaux's exit at the end of season two.​

This will be the place for all Lyon news including game reports, interviews and discussions of form and starting lineups.​

Roster
    Hugo Lloris
    Lamine
    Gassama
    Cris (captain)
    Pape Diakhaté
    Dejan Lovren
    Kim Källström
    Jimmy Briand
    Miralem Pjanić
    Lisandro López
    Ederson
    Michel Bastos
    Timothée Kolodziejczak
    Anthony Réveillère
    Harry Novillo
    Bafétimbi Gomis
    César Delgado
    Aly Cissokho
    Maxime Gonalons
    Clément Grenier
    Jérémy Pied
    Jérémy Toulalan
    Yoann Gourcuff
    Rémy Vercoutre
    Alexandre Lacazette
    Ishak Belfodil

2. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

Lyon have announced that current manager, Claude Puel will stay on as the clubs manager and will be with the club for the future. After several closed friendlies, it wasn't known by the public if Puel would be staying on, but it's now been officially announced by Lyon.

Team president, Krebstar, announced that Puel would be with the club for 'many seasons' and that his approach to the game is perfect for what he wants this team to achieve.

3. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

Olympique Lyonnais 1 - 1 Valencia

The first game of the season has come and gone and Lyon were able to rescue a point after a very late goal by Gomis. It was a game that saw Lyon win the possession battle, but were up against a very tactically sound Valencia side who brilliantly took their early chance to score.

In the 34', a hard cross came into the Lyon box and after Cris misjudged the path of the ball, Solado hit in a hard header to give the Spanish side the 1-0 lead.

A bit of controversy arose soon after when Banega slid in very hard from behind on a Lyon defender and received a yellow card. Lyon manager Claude Puel had this to regarding the tackle:

It was a very hard challenge and one that may not have been needed. It was quite a lunge and he went in, studs up, two feet. A red would've been fitting, but it wasn't needed. The yellow was still a good call. I don't think it's as big of an issue as some could make it. We're a physical team, so we know we will receive that in return.

Although Puel said his side are physical, they were not shown any cards in the game, while two other Valencia players also were. Puel has reportedly told some around him he wants his team to play hard but very fair and that their first goal is to not give up a goal. Scoring will come second.

Throughout the rest of the match Valencia brilliantly defended their lead but in the 90' Gomis was able to sneak by a defender and beat the keeper to give Lyon a deserved point. For the way the match flowed, it could be argued a draw was the perfect result to award both teams.

Lyon forward Lopez had this to say about the Valencia side:

They were very tight and hard to breakdown. We came in thinking they would want to play a very open game, but they didn't do that. They made it hard to get into space and played very well. We were expecting them to play faster and looser, but they showed great patience in their play. It was a good game by both sides.

4. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

Benefica 0 - 0 Olympique Lyonnais

Lyon are at least starting the season with points, two to be precise. In another strong defensive showing by Lyon, they were able to hold Benefica to no goals but also didn't grab any themselves. Gomis came very close late in the game and even after blamed himself for not scoring what should've been an easy goal. Two points is better than none, though and Claude Puel was more than happy to explain that when asked about the result.​

We're very fortunate and happy to to start the season with points. Would six have been better? Yes, but I will take two as well. We can build on this and it shows that we're ready to play our game which is defense first and keeping in control of the game. I'm happy with the performances. Our goal is third or above and I'd be happy with third. We're on the right track to reach that goal. Two points is good. None would be bad, not two. We played our game and we're happy with the outcome.

Lyon were not picked for promotion this season and are expected to finish in the middle of the table. However, Puel said as long as his side stay disciplined, he can see them getting into the third place spot.​

5. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

Olympique Lyonnais 0 - 1 Hamburg

After another game in which is side failed to score, Claude Puel was under the gun from the French media concerning his tactics. For the majority of the game, Lyon were able to dominate possession, but when it counted, they could not score a goal. A single well placed shot from Hamburg was enough to make what looked like another 0-0 for Lyon into a close loss.​

After the game Puel fielded questions and would not budge and admit that his tactics caused the loss. Instead, he said, they helped Lyon's case.​

If we do not play the way we did, they would've scored more than one goal. We'd be talking about giving up two, maybe three. Would we have scored? Possibly. So I ask, what is better, a 0-1 loss or a 1-3 loss. They are different to me.

When asked if he thought losing was then alright and he wasn't concerned, Puel had something a bit different to say.​

Of course I am not alright with losing. However, we're facing a team who very likely could win this league. I went in with realistic expectations and a 0-0 result would not have been a disaster. We can not go out and attack with six or seven players at all times. Not against a team like that.

Puel was then asked if he would change his tactics at all for the next match against Fulham.​

If anything, this showed me way may need to switch between different variations of tactics throughout the match. Not always play one way. But overall, there will not be a drastic change. Not yet at lesast.

6. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

That didn't take long. Announced as of today, Claude Puel has been sacked by Lyon Director of Football 'Krebstar'. Puel was able to lead Lyon to 2 points out of a possible 12 and apparently the club decided that he wasn't the right man for the job. Most are speculating that Puel's negative tactics were also to blame as his side sputtered offensively despite having a talented set of forwards and attacking midfielders.

The club isn't saying much, except the new manager is already working with the team and will be announced shortly. Sources tell us it's a rather big name, but we shall see.

7. hedache

hedache Walk On

Before we know it Puel will be back in his office. He'll take after his boss. Gone one day, back next day. He'll blame it on something. Possibly the aggressive tactics of Istanbul BB that he hasn't yet faced intimidated the club and they came to a decision like this, but then they came to their senses and blah blah. Classic media BS.

8. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

Welcome to France, Rafa.

In a rather surprising announcement, Olympique Lyonnais today announced the appointment of Rafael Benítez as their new manager, starting immediately. The full details of the contract are not yet known, but the club has stated Benítez has already been in training with the squad and will formerly speak to the media very soon.

9. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

Rafa Benítez has arrived at Lyon and he's ready to make changes. In Lyon's first four games this season, they've had a minimal attack and have instead focused on defending. Their new manager has said there will be a change to that philosophy.​

We of course still want to defend, but we're going to use our attack to defend. That doesn't just mean holding onto the ball, that means moving towards the goal and testing their keeper.

From the few glimpses we've caught of the mostly closed practices Benítez has been running, it seems like he could leave behind the 4-2-3-1 formation in favor of a 4-3-3. Either still seems possible, though. What is definite is Benítez wanting to change the way the team is playing.​

If we score three goals and our opponent scores two, we win. It's the same as them scoring none and us scoring one. We're too talented of a team to sit back and not attack. We must attack to win.

This week Lyon face off against Istanbul BB and Liverpool and currently sit in 9th place with only two points from four games.​

10. hedache

hedache Walk On

Ofcourse this had to happen right before we play. We know what happens when there's a coaching change. Players play better for then 1 or 2 games. So I'll pay the price, and next week you'll be back to the same story. On another note though, you've been beating me in friendlies anyways. So it may not have mattered. We're only a 3* team, with that skill difference it's no surprise. Oooops I did it again (add some Britney tunes on this in the background) :D

11. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

Lyon 2 - 1 Liverpool

There it is, the first win of the season. After four games without the sweet sensation of victory, Lyon are feeling it now. In Rafa Benítez's debut, Lyon made a second half comeback to defeat Liverpool. The first goal was given up when Joe Cole was able to head in the ball from a cross. Lyon keeper Hugo Lloris was not happy following that goal.

We can't let him win a header. He's one of the smaller players out there, so to let him get a head on it means we're not doing our job. Credit to him, he took the chance well and made us pay.

After halftime, Lyon came out in a 4-3-3 formation, which was a change from the 4-1-3-2 they started the game in. It seemed to quickly work as Gourcuff was able to sneak behind the defense and quickly make the game level at -1-1. Not too long later, Lyon won a freekick near the box. Bastos took it and fired a low shot very hard which bounced off Reina's hands and into the goal. However, Reina made three more remarkable saves that were virtually one on one chances to keep the game close. However, Lyon were able to control the rest of the game and pick up three points. Following the game Benítez summed up what he saw from his side.

We played very well and we played better in the 4-3-3 formation. We should've scored at least two more, but didn't take our chances well in front of the keeper. I'm happy, though. You can't ask for much more than three points in your first game. We must build on this, though, as we have a very, very long way to go.

12. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Bastos may very well be the most underrated player in the game. Good speed, good dribbling, good shooting, and he is really nice to have on free kicks.

Grats on your first win.

13. Krebstar425

I had been using Gourcuff for all free kicks previously, but that was a mistake with Bastos available.

14. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

Istanbul BB 0 - 1 Lyon

Apparently the first win for Lyon felt so good that they wanted to pick up a second. A single goal from Gomis was enough to see the French side pick up their second straight win and put themselves right in the thick of the promotion race. Going in, everyone knew it would be a close game as these sides are so familiar from their preseason matches, and a goalless draw was even a possibility. However, near the end of the first half after a series of passes, Gomis was able to turn and curl a shot into the net with his left foot. The goal was the only in the game and the decider in a very close match. Lyon manager Rafa Benítez spoke to the media briefly after the game on what this win means.

It means we picked up three more points. That is it. We still have work to do. Six points in one week is big, but each game could've been no points at all. We're on the right track and are falling into place in terms of our attack, but this is the beginning of something, not the end.

Next week Lyon faces League One's Italian sides, Napoli and AC Milan.

15. Krebstar425

[​IMG]

Lyon manager Rafa Benítez has responded tonight to comments made by Istanbul BB's manager, hedache. The IBB manager seemed to back his players concerns that the referees and the league are against the Turkish side. There was also concern that the winning goal from Gomis was offside, although it was clear to all that it wasn't even close to being offside. When asked to respond to the comments made, Benítez responded, but in a way didn't respond.​

They want us and myself to respond to this silly accusations just to distract from the fact they lost the game. It's as simple as that. I'm not going to get into such silly debates with them. The goal was clearly onside and as to claims of a conspiracy against them, I think they've been watching too much of Jose Mourinho and are trying to duplicate his meddling in the media. They're going to have to do a lot more to get me to care about any outrageous claims they're making. We have to get ready for two games next week, I'm focused on those and not on crazy theories that were built only to distract from a teams inadequate play. They've played well this year and it seems when they don't, it's not their fault, but someone else's. Nonsense. They know what they're doing. It's part of their game.

Benítez said he didn't want to respond, but perhaps he did. Either way, he seemed to be over it.​

16. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Kreb is rollin'.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Krebstar425

Lyon Release Final Statement Concerning IBB Accusations
    This morning, Lyon Director of Football 'Krebstar' officially released what the club calls a final statement concerning the saga with Istanbul BB. The statement is below.

It's quite clear that in this drama that is being manufactured, Istanbul BB have football on their mind last. Their goal here is to disrupt and draw attention away from what we're all here to do, which is play football. Their recent ludicrous act of releasing a photo of Rafa Benítez giving a crude gesture shows what their true intentions are. The fact that they claim this photo is new speaks volumes to the amateur nature they apparently want to portray. The photo in question was taken years ago, before Rafa Benítez even managed Inter Milan in Italy. The fact that they have tried to pass it off as a new photograph is in a word, sad.

This club, it's manager and players will no longer engage in words involving this matter and look forward to getting on with playing football and having proper discussions with other clubs.

18. hedache

hedache Walk On

Oh yes they will :D

19. hedache

hedache Walk On

This club is a joke, after all the shit that went down last year they still come to my door and beg for me to run them because Krebstar425 did a terrible job with this team. And they send Juventus rep AJ Hart MN to tell me that? What a pathetic organization!

• Like Like x 2
  20. hedache

hedache Walk On

I didn't post this, someone must have hacked my computer. I apologize from all OL fans and the organization for the inconvenience.

21. Krebstar425

Jürgen Klopp has two games circled on his calendar for next season. Both are against Lyon. I suggest you wear some extra pads on your shins, as Hummels and Subotic might come in a bit over enthusiastic.

22. hedache

hedache Walk On

[​IMG]

It has been a disappointing season for OL. Spoiled from the glorious days of director Blaza, OL fans had some dark days under Krebstar425 management. Some say coaching change of Rafa was a mistake. It definitely did not pay off much if you look at their record. Bad times might be over and some joy might be on the way for Lyon community. Chairman Jean-Michel Aulas is a wise man who can admit his mistakes and try a fresh start.​

"We thought Krebs could have filled the absence of a great director like Blaza. We were wrong, so this is the time to fix these mistakes. Hedache is a brilliant manager. He has taken over a club like Istanbul BB, and regardless of the lacking talent, he had them playing in a great way. He is basically making his teams play the football of the future if you look at it carefully. Everything you read about EA's improvements in FIFA 12 are already a part of hedache's game plan. He is the future, and he is definitely our future at this moment."​

"Last season League 1 participants faced [Special] Olympique Mayonnaise. This season, we will show our opponents the real Olympique Lyon instead of some joke on the pitch. They will learn to respect us again." said hedache.​

As for coaching, some sources say an interesting trio was spotted at Cafe de Burjuvazi last Wednesday. Hedache was sucking on his Mocha Frappucino while chairman JMA had an expresso with an old friend Remi Garde (former OL manager) who happened to be drinking an ice white chocolate coffee along with some French toast (no surprise there, he's French after all). With everything that went down between Rafa and hedache while he was with Istanbul BB last season, it will be no surprise if coaching staff was replaced back to its original. We will be reporting about this as soon as we hear more.​

• Like Like x 2
  23. hedache

hedache Walk On

[​IMG]

Corine Franco, the defensive midfielder captain of Olympique Lyonnais in Division 1 Feminine is excited to make the World Cup semi final in Germany after a hard fought game against England's tough ladies on Saturday. She's ready for the soccer giants, the USA. "I didn't get to play against England, but I'm hoping to see some minutes against USA on Wednesday" she said.

Again on Saturday, Lyon's boys made an impressive season opening against the unknown PL relegated Bayern Munich. Apparently there wasn't much to know. Despite the fact that PL relegated teams were making such hype about being visitors in League 1 this season, Bayern didn't seem so, allowing 5 goals against Lyon will not get them promoted.

Corine [Franco] says she follows the boys with great interest. Her teammates and her try to go to home games as schedules allow them. While in Germany, she didn't miss the season opener against Bayern Munich. "Yea, (she actually said vie) I hopped on the XBOX Live party with our new lovely Football Director hedache, through a special stream he set up for me, I was able to watch the game along with my national teammates here in camp. We didn't know what we were going to get with Bayern since it was the first time OL was playing them, with new management. It ended up being a fun game. I can't wait to meet hedache when I get back to France. The former director Krebstar425 was a little bit of a, what do you Americans call, jerk?". Ofcourse her lovely cute French accent made it even cuter when she said that.

Since Valencia is on a European tour, OL boys will sit down and watch the World Cup game tomorrow and wait for the next fixtures to keep a winning streak. hedache is known to start seasons fast and strong but not finish up the way he starts. So at this point, it's just "Let's get through these games and see what happens by mid season".

• Like Like x 1
  24. Krebstar425

Get your own thread. :)

25. hedache

hedache Walk On

This is now my thread biatch :) We come and conquer!