Olympique Lyonnais

Discussion in 'TFL: League 1 Red' started by Blaza, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

2. Blaza

[​IMG]

Week 1 (Matchday 2)

Olympique Lyon 1 @ Aston Villa 0

Olympique Lyon
    Goals:
    Toulalan :goal: (34)

Assists:
    Gourcuff

Cards:
    none

Man of the Match:
    Toulalan (9.3)

Aston Villa
    Goals:
    none

Assists:
    none

Cards:
    None

Olympique Lyon made the trip to Villa Park to take on Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the season. Teammates for club and country, Yoann Gourcuff and Jeremy Toulalan passed and dribbled their way through the Villa defense and worked hard on both ends of the pitch. The French Internationals hooked up in the 34th as Gourcuff dribbled to the endline and laid it off to Toulalan who clinicially finished backpost past American GK Brad Friedel. Friedel would be Villas best player making some tough saves and finishing with with an 8.0 rating.

Villa would battle hard, playing tons of longballs to their big target men but Lyon was up for it and was a step quicker to 50/50 balls. Villa managed only 4 shots versus Lyon's 16 and struggled to complete passes in a tight midfield. Stephen Ireland tried his best to penetrate the Lyon defense completing a Villa high 16 dribbles, but this paled in comparison to Lyon's attack as Toulalan, Gourcuff, and Gomis all completed over 20 dribbles.

Lyon will return to the Stade de Gerland in France for their next fixture against Spanish outfit Atletico Madrid.

[​IMG]

3. Blaza

[​IMG]

Week 1 (Matchday 1)

Atletico Madrid 1 @ Olympique Lyon 3

Atletico Madrid
    Goals:
    Jose Reyes :goal: (5)

Assists:
    Diego Forlan

Cards:
    :yellowcard:Dominguez (85)

Man of the Match:
    Toulalan (9.5)

Aston Villa
    Goals:
    Cris :goal: (16)
    Michel Bastos :goal: (27)
    Batafembi Gomis :goal: (90)

Assists:
    Batafembi Gomis
    Kim Kallstrom
    Lisandro Lopez

Cards:
    None

Olympique Lyon kept par with League Power Juventus winning 3-1 in their return to the Stade de Garland against a very attack minded Atletico Madrid side. Tackling would be the name of game in this tough fixture as Atleico Madrid put up a formidable 22 stops to rival Lyon's 25. Although Lyon enjoyed a 58% Possession advantage, Atletico was no pushover sliding in for crunching tackles and generally keeping the French Giants on edge.

Atletico raced out to the lead with formal Arsenal winger Jose Reyes finishing a sitter following a deflected cross into the area. "I know that Coach Blaza is an Arsenal/Arsene Wenger disciple" Reyes was quoted after the game, "those types of sides usually focus on the technical, sexy side of the game and not so much the physical side. I know if I could be scrappy and tough I'd have a chance to make an impact".

Immediately following Reyes' goal, Brazilian hardman and Lyon Captain, Cris, could be seen chewing out his defense for allowing such a soft goal. Fourteen minutes later, the Captain did the job himself, equalizing off a perfect Kallstrom corner.

Lyon would settle in after that and mercurial Brazilian Michel Bastos scored a stunning goal in the 27th to take the lead. Lyon looked much more comfortable after taking the lead and Vice Captain, Jeremy Toulalan bossed the midfield hitting an astonishing 28/32 passes and completing 19/20 dribbles. Lisandro would add to the class, running at Atletico defenders at every opporunity, completing 23/30 dribbles and completing 28/35 passes.

Toulalan finished as man of the match with a 9.5 rating. After receiving an early scare with the Reyes goal, Lyon was able to rebound. Nearly all of the Lyon attackers enjoyed the evening: Kim Kallstrom finished with a 9.4 rating, Michel Bastos with a 9.4, and Batefembi Gomis a 9.4. Central defenders J Makoun and Cris also finished with 9.4 ratings. Lyon finished with 17 shots and 11 on target in contrast to Atletico's 3 with none on target.

Coach Blaza in the postgame conference.

"I am happy that we were able to survive a scare from a tough La Liga squad. Atletico are a good team and hit us in the mouth to start the game. We were shocked, and yet none of the player blinked. That is the sign of a confident team. We must enjoy this tonight, and then get back on the training grounds to prepare for next week. I was pleased with our movement and passing, but considering the shot advantage we had, we should have scored more goals."

[​IMG]
    Lyon Captain, Cris

4. Blaza

[​IMG]

Week 2 (Matchday 3)

Bayern Munich 1 @ Olympic Lyon 7

Bayern Munich

Goals
    Franc Ribiery (71)

Goals
    None
    Assists
    None
    Cards
    Red: Bastian Schweinsteiger (38)

Man of the Match
    Batefembi Gomis 9.4

Olympic Lyon

Goals
    Kim Kaelstrom :goal: (2)
    Batafembi Gomis :goal: (6)
    Batafembi Gomis :goal: (14)
    Jeremy Toulalan:goal: (27)
    Michel Bastos :goal: (39)
    Michel Bastos :goal: (54)
    Lisandro Lopez :goal: (63)

Assists
    Yoann Gourcuff, 2
    Jeremy Toulalan, 2

Cards
    None

Lyon scored early and turned on the style late, taking out German Giant Bayern Munich 7-1 in a game that was neve in doubt. Munich could not keep up with Lyon's incisive passing and movement leading to several nasty fouls including a sending off for midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger.

"We knew that the Germans play a very physical style and we tried to use that against them tonight," remarked the Lyon manager after the contest. "After Schweinsteiger lost his head in the 1st half, the lads clamped in and made sure not to be provoked into anything stupid to jeopardize availability in the future".

[​IMG]
    Lyon Striker Batafembi Gomis

5. Blaza

[​IMG]

Week 2 (Matchday 4)

Olympic Lyon 3 @ FC Porto 0

Olympic Lyon

Goals
    Cris :goal: (6)
    Batafembi Gomis :goal: (31)
    Michel Bastos :goal: (66)

Assists
    Michel Bastos 2

Cards
    None

Man of the Match
    Michel Bastos 9.4

FC Porto

Goals
    None

Assists
    None

Cards
    None

Olympic Lyon returned to France and kept their 100% record winning against a Porto side who never quite found their stride. Brazilian Captain Cris added to his impressive tally opening the account in the 6th minute with a well placed header. The Center-Back has had quite a knack for goal of late, stepping up in big moments and finishing his opportunities. Lyon would cruise to victory behind some slick dribbling and heavy defensive pressure. Porto's strikers never got going and finished with only 2 shots with 1 on goal. Lyon countered with an impressive 21 shots, led by Gomis who had 11 shots alone. Michel Bastos bossed the midfield, beating his marker over and over and adding a goal and 2 assists.

[​IMG]
    Lyon Midfielder Michel Bastos